• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best rifle for around $600?

It's not ideal, but can't you use your thumb in that cutout on the side of the carrier where the vent holes are and push it forward?
Not after emptying a couple of mags on full auto you're not. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

An entry level Windham Weaponry AR15 can be had for a little more than the M&P sport. I would take that option personally. I have no issues with the M&P but I am just a fan of WW in general.

We're talking about a semi-auto AR-15 without a forward assist, here...

I asked about the the issues of the forward assist. I made reference to the M16 because it was originally issued with out a FA,dust cover or even a deflector stub.
I know designs change and some improvements can be made.
I don't remember the details but I read about MR stoner and his original AR design and it passed so,many of the military's test including jams.
I only know one ret military man old enough to have the M16 slab side in his hands. If he is up the club next time I'm there I will ask him what he thinks.

What I have seen personally at the range is the FA more times than not just jams the round even more... its fine when you give it a tap and the round chambers, fires and ejects.
I just find it funny that tap and rack works just fine for the semi pistol but seems out of place for a rifle.
Its all good and there are pro's and con's on each design aspects of any rifle/pistol.

NE Arms - Fun Place to shop !

Not sure if you can get pre-ban mags there, though.

I "think" Mass ran an attempted sting there recently. It failed, but whoever it was ("NE Arms ?") vowed not to sell pre-ban anymore.

Like I said, not sure it was them.

When you've got the Government threatening your livelihood and freedom, it does not pay to fight them over an item you probably make squat on.

I believe that "sting" was against North shore firearms in Middleton... and I don't think it actually happened as a "sting"... they simply got spoken to over the confusion of some questionable pre ban mags

Last edited:
Why would you want an Assault Rifle? Don't you know you can be just as protected with a double barrel shot gun? You don't even need to aim!
Plus you'll never have to worry about getting charged after firing a warning shot above the door.

Thanks for all of the information. I will probably go with the M&[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]P Sport or the Ruger (depending on price/availability)... That $600 will be able to get me into my first rifle. Also, those rifles seem to hold most of their value so i am sure down the road I will be able to save up and move into a more expensive option...

Thanks again
[/FONT]

Thanks for all of the information. I will probably go with the M&[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]P Sport or the Ruger (depending on price/availability)... That $600 will be able to get me into my first rifle. Also, those rifles seem to hold most of their value so i am sure down the road I will be able to save up and move into a more expensive option...

Thanks again
[/FONT]

No need to up grade rifle , you when ready can build off the M&P.
Money would be better spent on ammo or reloading set up.

M&P Sport $549 at FS now. Buddy grabbed one yesterday, Gonna try it tomorrow. I've never shot one before.

First AR - Budget priced is a toss up between M&P Sport and Ruger AR556. I'd lean towards the Ruger due to the muzzle brake already on there.

lmao @ Garand recoil then someone suggesting a mosin. I shoot Garands in a t-shirt all the time and the recoil is negligible. An 03 or mosin is a different story though.

Go for the Garand, delivery time lately has been about a week for field and service grades, not 2-6 months.

that was my 1st also , just added Magpul furniture and thing actually was flawless besides 1 Tula 223 steel. Other than that 1 time in a year it worked great .

Hmm. I see FS also has the bushmaster ORC for $540? I don't know crap about ARs so forgive my ignorance if bushmaster's are junk.

lmao @ Garand recoil then someone suggesting a mosin. I shoot Garands in a t-shirt all the time and the recoil is negligible. An 03 or mosin is a different story though.

Go for the Garand, delivery time lately has been about a week for field and service grades, not 2-6 months.

Just a quick plug for the garand.....if you have never shot one oct 11 th at old colony in Pembroke ma is,the last grarand Clinic of the year. The old colony M1 garands are very nice and accurate.

I'll have to consider a AR556 or Sport down the road. But once I'm back from my honeymoon in a few weeks, I'll be buying a Swiss K31.

I'll have to consider a AR556 or Sport down the road. But once I'm back from my honeymoon in a few weeks, I'll be buying a Swiss K31.

Absolutely the best 300$ rifle you will ever get! Love my Swiss. Will be working up a load for mine in with jacketed and cast loads.
I'm pissed I didn't buy these Swiss rifles when they where 149$ I might snag one,more before the next price hike.

Absolutely the best 300$ rifle you will ever get! Love my Swiss. Will be working up a load for mine in with jacketed and cast loads.
I'm pissed I didn't buy these Swiss rifles when they where 149$ I might snag one,more before the next price hike.

Yeah after reading through one of those K31 threads and reading on the CMP forums, seems like a very accurate milsurp and built very well. I already have 30 cal bullets and powder that will work for the garand and the K31. So I just had to buy those fancy Redding dies and some PPU unprimed brass.

FS has a K31 with a case of the GP11 ammo for $600. Doesn't seem bad. Might be able to lowball it a bit and get it cheaper. Or worst case I just order one online from one of the C&R vendors.

Yeah after reading through one of those K31 threads and reading on the CMP forums, seems like a very accurate milsurp and built very well. I already have 30 cal bullets and powder that will work for the garand and the K31. So I just had to buy those fancy Redding dies and some PPU unprimed brass.

FS has a K31 with a case of the GP11 ammo for $600. Doesn't seem bad. Might be able to lowball it a bit and get it cheaper. Or worst case I just order one online from one of the C&R vendors.

Patriot has one with a case of ammo too for $650

Back
Top Bottom