• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Rope for Hanging Wire?

I'm wondering what's the best material to hang antenna wire?

I've heard that there's a kevlar/Dracon rope that's good for 5 years in a tree. But I haven't been able to find it.

I've heard that Para Cord works very well..but doesn't last long where it's rubbing a limb.

Anyway, I've got a few wire antenna's that I want to see if I can get up in the trees to play with...

So, any ideas would be great.

HRO sells rope for that purpose. Not sure what it is but it might be listed on their website

I had installed many dipoles over the years for friends and myself. First off I would use a salt water surf casting rod. Throw the line over where you want it. If you miss untie the weight and pull it back in. With a little practice you can grab the line to slow it and drop down inside the tree. Next pull up some maysons line its about 175 lbs test. Then pull up some 1/4 inch line. I would then pull steel cable with a pulley up and over that some 1/4 inch bradded rope was threaded through the pulley. That way you can secure a pulley up high. I had one up like that for years with a 160-75-40 meter dipole. Also had a 5 element wire beam for 75 suspended like that. It was a killer in Europe and a full wave loop on 75. You can also attach a weight on the bottom so that is can move in high winds but still keep it straight.

I had installed many dipoles over the years for friends and myself. First off I would use a salt water surf casting rod. Throw the line over where you want it. If you miss untie the weight and pull it back in. With a little practice you can grab the line to slow it and drop down inside the tree. Next pull up some maysons line its about 175 lbs test. Then pull up some 1/4 inch line. I would then pull steel cable with a pulley up and over that some 1/4 inch bradded rope was threaded through the pulley. That way you can secure a pulley up high. I had one up like that for years with a 160-75-40 meter dipole. Also had a 5 element wire beam for 75 suspended like that. It was a killer in Europe and a full wave loop on 75. You can also attach a weight on the bottom so that is can move in high winds but still keep it straight.

I was planning on using fishing line tied to a nut and thrown up with my Slingshot. I'm not much of a fisherman anymore...and when I was...I've only flyfished. SO, when I try to use a spincast...I SUCK! I'm lucky if I can cast one more than 15-20 feet...when I used to be able to throw out my line to the backing on my 9 ft 5/6WF. I think that it's the whole wrist flip/whole forearm difference that makes it hard.

I was planning on using fishing line tied to a nut and thrown up with my Slingshot. I'm not much of a fisherman anymore...and when I was...I've only flyfished. SO, when I try to use a spincast...I SUCK! I'm lucky if I can cast one more than 15-20 feet...when I used to be able to throw out my line to the backing on my 9 ft 5/6WF. I think that it's the whole wrist flip/whole forearm difference that makes it hard.

The surf caster with a good weight you can cast over the top of any tree and its not all that hard. If your not into fishing any more I am sure you must have some friends that still are. The way I mentioned is a bit more work but it lasts. You don't want to lose the antenna in the winter and have to deal with it then.

I wasn't going to use fishing line to hang into the tree...I was going to use that to get the rope into the tree. But I didn't think of putting the pulley into the tree. I still have to find out if I even have a tree where I need to be... Now I'm wishing that I didn't take down those five Pine Trees. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom