• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best round for Canada geese

They are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and can only be hunted in limited circumstances with tags. Shooting in a public park is a good way to wind up in prison on top of the violation of a federal law.

Swans are MUCH more vicious.

Umbrellas can help shoo them away.
Limited circumstances? Tags?

Neither is true. Early goose season is open in mass now.....and you don't need tags you need a hunting license and the federal stamp. The daily limit this season is 15.

Probably a 6 iron.
That's pretty much what a buddy of mine did (unintentionally) last month. Had a little golf tournement for his 60th birthday. He was chipping from the rough on the 18th hole and ended up doing a line drive right into the eye socket of one of those bastards. I wasn't playing, but watched the whole thing. I keep chickens so of course everyone was like 'have Knuckle Dragger finish it off."

An Annotated Guide to Cooking Your Goose

If you get home and there is Geese poop on your desk, your keys are on the roof and the wife looks happy, you know what happened.
That's swans.

I have a way with birds and other than a slight 'misunderstanding' with a swan a few years back, can typically walk right up to ducks, geese, pigeons, birds of prey, and turkeys with ease.
Wait, wait; I've heard this story.
It ends with "the swan is lying".
[shocked]

Not wanting to ruin anyone's fun but I've seem multiple news articles where the animal rights people will go after
anyone that attacks geese with rewards and full support of the police.

Personally I use to use a Silky Terrier and she was one mean little bitch. Today I have a federal permit to addle eggs
and that keeps the local population down on the lake.

BB shot or #4 buck. Seriously 30-06 for geese? You trying to turn it into pink mist? Handguns would be orders of magnitude harder to hit moving birds vs 12GA shot.

It'll just pass right thru. VOOP!

Didn't I JUST have this conversation here?? Is it illegal to kill a goose with a baseball bat within 400 feet of a house. . . provided I have the proper hunting permit and stamps??? Is waterfowl hunting limited to ONLY shooting them?????

Just for shiggles. Nothing more. LOL. (The question, not baseball batting a goose.)

I am still waiting for my Air Force Condor SS Air Rifle in .22 Caliber. I already
have the lead free Pellets. You can do a 50 yard head shot easily with it. The
Resident geese you can usually get within 15-20 feet of them.
Malodave

It'll just pass right thru. VOOP!

Didn't I JUST have this conversation here?? Is it illegal to kill a goose with a baseball bat within 400 feet of a house. . . provided I have the proper hunting permit and stamps??? Is waterfowl hunting limited to ONLY shooting them?????

Just for shiggles. Nothing more. LOL. (The question, not baseball batting a goose.)

Hunting prohibitions

[...]
Other prohibited devices: Rifle, pistol, air gun, swivel gun, punt gun, battery gun, machine gun, trap, snare, net, fish hook, sinkbox, poison, drug, explosive or stupefying substance.
[...]

So, in MA at least it looks like you're good to go? On a quick search, it seems @Malodave's air rifle flies in NH, but not here - surprising exactly nobody.

When I worked at a golf course we used a paintball gun.
None lethal , but hurt like a mother.
After a while you didn't even have to shoot.
They would see you coming with it and get out of dodge quick.

You have to get after them when they first show up in the spring and relentlessly .
Once they nest nothing short of killing them will get them to leave.

iu

/this

The kick is up.... the KICK IS GOOD!!!!

Nice to see someone else who still appreciates the old Nomex gloves.
IMO, they are hard to beat.
I'm down to my last pair of USGI ones.
Finding suitable MIL-SPEC/MIL-STD replacements has been troublesome.

I am still seeing flocks of geese landing and taking off from a local pond in MA. I would have thought they would have migrated farther south by now. I was curious if it was weather/temperature related. I guess not.

"Geese have a clock in their brain that measures how much sunlight there is each day. The days grow shorter during the late summer and early fall, and that’s how geese know it’s time to get ready for the journey south."

I am still seeing flocks of geese landing and taking off from a local pond in MA. I would have thought they would have migrated farther south by now. I was curious if it was weather/temperature related. I guess not.

"Geese have a clock in their brain that measures how much sunlight there is each day. The days grow shorter during the late summer and early fall, and that’s how geese know it’s time to get ready for the journey south."
There is local geese that will not migrate

If you've lived in New England for more than one winter I'm surprised you think they ALL fly south. They don't all leave. There is a subset species of Canada goose called "resident" Canada goose and they don't migrate at all.....new england has a large population of resident Canada geese.

Feel free to Google "what is a resident Canada goose" and find out why they don't migrate.......its a long story.

Back
Top Bottom