Best semi-auto for Action Shotgun shooting?

Cuz

NES Member
So I've decided I'd like to buy a 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun to setup for local action shotgun matches. This gun will not be used for home defense or anything other than action shotgun type competition with regular 2 3/4 #7.5 or #8 shot shells, and probably some reduced recoil slugs when competition warrants it. I may try some trap or skeet, but wouldn't count on it.

So, what are the popular guns being used in competition today? I want reliability, and quality. Also one with a wide selection of aftermarket parts and upgrades. What is the preferred barrel length? This will not have any optics on it, so I want to keep the gun within the constraints of limited division if that's what it's called.

So, I would like feedback on preferred manufacturers/models, barrel length, and what mods should be done right away, such as mag tube extension, etc.

Thanks,
- Cuz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your price point? Is this Cowboy action or 3 Gun Styled? If your looking to get into it, check out the Stoeger M3K:

Last edited by a moderator:
Benelli M2 Field, 24 inch barrel, Nordic Components or Taccom mag extensions. A squadmate's Stoeger turned into a single shot at FN 3 Gun. We shared my M2 for 6 stages, not a single hiccup.
Benellis aren't cheap, but they do run, and do last a long time.

Thanks Dan.
I've ruled out the Stoeger, I want something I can play with right out of the box that I only need to add a feed tube to start, than can modify as I go along. I am interested in the M2, but couldn't figure out which specific model or barrel length. I was also considering the Beretta 1301 Competition model.

It seems the 24" barrel is the preferred length.

What's your price point? Is this Cowboy action or 3 Gun Styled? If your looking to get into it, check out the Stoeger M3K:

I would say 3 Gun style, like they had at Wallum Lake on Saturday. The pump was fun, but the autos looked like a LOT more fun!

Benelli M2 Field, 24 inch barrel, Nordic Components or Taccom mag extensions. A squadmate's Stoeger turned into a single shot at FN 3 Gun. We shared my M2 for 6 stages, not a single hiccup.
Benellis aren't cheap, but they do run, and do last a long time.

You get what you pay for.

The Benelli action is probably the fastest out there, you'll never out run it.

Thanks Dan.
I've ruled out the Stoeger, I want something I can play with right out of the box that I only need to add a feed tube to start, than can modify as I go along. I am interested in the M2, but couldn't figure out which specific model or barrel length. I was also considering the Beretta 1301 Competition model.

The M2 for an inertia action, 1301 for a gas gun. 24" for either. My M2 is a 21", my Super Nova pump is a 26" it makes no real difference as far as handling.
Sean used my M2 at Wallum Lake's last match, and he found a used one on Enos.
My friends over in the UK mostly run the 1301, and that's the game they shoot most, so their shotguns go through a lot of ammo.

Last edited:
What are the pros and cons of an inertia vs gas system?

What are the pros and cons of an inertia vs gas system?

Inertia guns tend to be lighter weight, and may not run extremely light loads. Gas guns have softer recoil, and are usually heavier in weight. The 1301 is lighter than most gas guns, but not as light as an M2. Another up and coming inertia gun is the Browning A5.

Sean used my M2 at Wallum Lake's last match, and he found a used one on Enos.

Used gun from Enos forum had a kinked mag spring due to how it was shipped, the gun didn't feed so well like that, as one might expect. A new spring has been installed, I ran 75 rounds through it yesterday morning. I did have one round not chamber. I was shooting the cheap Rio 1oz loads from Dicks, the round that did not chamber had a tear/nick in the hull. I didn't notice if it was like that out of the box, or if I damaged it with my still clumsy quad-loading.

I have had a Benelli montefeltro for several years now for skeet and sporting clays, so getting a M2 just made sense.

Get a saiga, tube gun suck to load

Doesn't magazine fed bump you into Open? In any case, I don't want a Saiga, I know a few people that have them and they are always working hard to keep them running. I want a reliable gun, and they don't seem to be too reliable all the time.

Maybe I was too quick to rule out the Stoeger. Are you talking about the M3K? For $600 it's probably worth a look. Is it reliable? What work does it need other than the mag tube?

So I've decided I'd like to buy a 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun to setup for local action shotgun matches. This gun will not be used for home defense or anything other than action shotgun type competition with regular 2 3/4 #7.5 or #8 shot shells, and probably some reduced recoil slugs when competition warrants it. I may try some trap or skeet, but wouldn't count on it.

So, what are the popular guns being used in competition today? I want reliability, and quality. Also one with a wide selection of aftermarket parts and upgrades. What is the preferred barrel length? This will not have any optics on it, so I want to keep the gun within the constraints of limited division if that's what it's called.

So, I would like feedback on preferred manufacturers/models, barrel length, and what mods should be done right away, such as mag tube extension, etc.

Thanks,
- Cuz

Larry,

I started with a Remington 1100, went to a 1187 and still use it. If I were looking today, I would buy a Binelli without hesitation. With a few basic mods you are ready to go provided you choose the right ammo.

Ammo is a big deal. Find what you like, what the gun likes, and stick with it. Buy it by the case so you have it.
Dan gives good advice as you know. He has seen what works.

I still may search out a Binelli even though I won't use it as much as I would like

Maybe I was too quick to rule out the Stoeger. Are you talking about the M3K? For $600 it's probably worth a look. Is it reliable? What work does it need other than the mag tube?

I replaced the tube & follower and installed the Benelli extractor in my M3K. Not one failure with slugs or shot. I went with it over the Benelli because my son shoots too. For now we share this one, but I'll get another one and have 2 for the price of 1.
I may open up the load port a bit more this winter but it's pretty good out of the box.

Get a saiga, tube gun suck to load

I'm looking at either a saiga or MKA 1919, I'm still on the fence. Honestly I'm looking towards round capacity and Saiga with the drum mag currently has the upper hand there. The one thing that concerns me is the ability for the drums to take a drop and not break.

- - - Updated - - -

Mag tube is all it needs, it comes out of the box ready to rock with features that are aftermarket on most firearms. I've used my friends before and really enjoyed it over my antiquated 1100. I'm either going to be getting the M3k this winter or go all out with a mag fed option.

- - - Updated - - -

I replaced the tube & follower and installed the Benelli extractor in my M3K. Not one failure with slugs or shot. I went with it over the Benelli because my son shoots too. For now we share this one, but I'll get another one and have 2 for the price of 1.
I may open up the load port a bit more this winter but it's pretty good out of the box.

Can you shot low brass wally world 7.5's with it?

I'm looking at either a saiga or MKA 1919, I'm still on the fence. Honestly I'm looking towards round capacity and Saiga with the drum mag currently has the upper hand there. The one thing that concerns me is the ability for the drums to take a drop and not break.

- - - Updated - - -

Mag tube is all it needs, it comes out of the box ready to rock with features that are aftermarket on most firearms. I've used my friends before and really enjoyed it over my antiquated 1100. I'm either going to be getting the M3k this winter or go all out with a mag fed option.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you shot low brass wally world 7.5's with it?

I've got an MKA 1919. About 100 rounds to break in, but now runs any ammo I find, even the cheapest Walmart stuff. There are 28 round magazine available. I currently have 2 ten round mags with +2 extensions and they're totally reliable. Coupled mags + 1 in chamber = 25 rounds on the gun!

You're welcome to check it out.

I've got an MKA 1919. About 100 rounds to break in, but now runs any ammo I find, even the cheapest Walmart stuff. There are 28 round magazine available. I currently have 2 ten round mags with +2 extensions and they're totally reliable. Coupled mags + 1 in chamber = 25 rounds on the gun!

You're welcome to check it out.

I just checked out their sight and now I see they offer one with all the features one would be upgrading to anyways. I have an inquiry into them for more info
01yeni.jpg

The more I think about it the Stoeger may be the way to go. It's cheap money for a gun I will shoot no more than once a year.

I just want to know that it's reliable with low end Federal and Winchester target ammo, 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #7.5 or #8 shot.

The more I think about it the Stoeger may be the way to go. It's cheap money for a gun I will shoot no more than once a year.

I just want to know that it's reliable with low end Federal and Winchester target ammo, 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #7.5 or #8 shot.

The crimp on the shell is a big factor on reliability with a shotgun. 2 3/4 dram loads may be pickier than 3 dram loads ( 1155 vs. 1200 fps)

I use Winchester X shot and Federal true ball slugs. I stick with those. I could try something cheaper but I stick with what works reliably. I'm in MA too, you are welcome to try it out before you go and buy one.

I'll add my disclaimer..I'm a hack and a mediocre to piss poor shooter at best. My son and I shoot local 3 gun matches when time allows to have fun because we love it. Any advice given by Dan is excellent, we attended the clinic in Springfield with him and Nick and we learned a ton. I chose the Stoeger M3K for financial reasons and the fact that I knew I wasn't going to be shooting major matches with it and it will only be used a few times a year. I've shot some matches with guys with Benelli's and mine went bang the same as theirs.

There is a reason the M2 has been on the top of the food chain for so long, it is a great gun and the inertia system is bulletproof as long as you don't mess with super light loads. I have an m3000 that has been a great gun for the past three seasons. The idea of an out of the box ready 3gun or practical shotgun is a myth of sorts. In order to load fast you will be opening the loading port, on a lot of designs you will be welding or buying a welded lifter to save your thumbnail, on other "out of the box ready to go" guns you will be grinding the for end to get it out of your way Durring load two or quad loads. Be aware that the 3gun ready guns are 60-80% ready. They all have little glitches and things that get in the way. Put a tube on any of them and you can enjoy your first few matches, but that gun is getting cut by the end of your first season.

There is a reason the M2 has been on the top of the food chain for so long, it is a great gun and the inertia system is bulletproof as long as you don't mess with super light loads. I have an m3000 that has been a great gun for the past three seasons. The idea of an out of the box ready 3gun or practical shotgun is a myth of sorts. In order to load fast you will be opening the loading port, on a lot of designs you will be welding or buying a welded lifter to save your thumbnail, on other "out of the box ready to go" guns you will be grinding the for end to get it out of your way Durring load two or quad loads. Be aware that the 3gun ready guns are 60-80% ready. They all have little glitches and things that get in the way. Put a tube on any of them and you can enjoy your first few matches, but that gun is getting cut by the end of your first season.

You should see what I did to my 1100 [rofl]

Thanks for all the input. Normally cost is not an issue when I'm buying a gun, but spending ~$800 on a Stoeger vs ~$2500+ on a Benelli M2 that I will probably shoot about once a year is something I have to consider. I don't belong to a club where I can shoot shotgun so an occasional match is about the only time I will take it out.

Thanks for all the input. Normally cost is not an issue when I'm buying a gun, but spending ~$800 on a Stoeger vs ~$2500+ on a Benelli M2 that I will probably shoot about once a year is something I have to consider. I don't belong to a club where I can shoot shotgun so an occasional match is about the only time I will take it out.

You may luck out watching the ENOS classifieds. Lots of people upgrade so you have a chance to buy a match ready shotgun for a lot less whether it be Benelli or Stoeger. Good luck with your search. If you want to use a Remington 1187 as a loaner for a match you find, let me know. I can meet up with you somewhere.

You may luck out watching the ENOS classifieds. Lots of people upgrade so you have a chance to buy a match ready shotgun for a lot less whether it be Benelli or Stoeger. Good luck with your search. If you want to use a Remington 1187 as a loaner for a match you find, let me know. I can meet up with you somewhere.

Can you PM me a link for the above mentioned classified?

Back
Top Bottom