• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best semi-auto for Action Shotgun shooting?

Thanks Gary, I thought I saw one there this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using my Kel Tec KSG at 3 gun matches and it's worked great - except the match where we weren't allowed to load rounds beforehand. Since I use a red dot on it, I'm forced into open and can normally fill it up with 15 rounds. I've been a little envious of the semiauto firing rates and have eyeballed the Benellie M2, FN SLP Competition model, Mossberg 930JM, and Browning A5. The KSG works fine for now though and I really prefer the short form factor.

I'm too impatient to "watch" the classifieds. I ordered a new M3K on gunbroker and had it shipped to MOA Custom.

Yeah, ultimately that's what convinced me. There seems to be quite a few people that say they are reliable. I'll just have to make sure I find ammo that runs in it. I know it'll never be an M2, but I don't need it to be. I'm a Glock guy after all.

From what I've read, after the initial break in it runs the $22/box wally world 7.5's just fine. I'm so close to either getting the M3K or going 180 and getting a mag fed in the open class.

If you decide to go the mag fed open route you can pick up an M3K as an add-on and not even notice the price bump.

I have the M2 and the M3000. I don't really use either much but I cycle light loads in the Stoeger with an extended tube and stock spring with zero issues after breaking it in with some heavy loads. Honestly, for my purposes the M2 is redundant.

What do you mean by "heavy loads" to break it in?

I was hoping to just use some Federal 2 3/4 inch 3 dram 1 1/8oz 7.5 shot size ammo. Will that work?

Sure, but it may take longer and may FTF/FTE along the way. The recommendation I had was to use heavy loads, so I did.

I was trying to remember where I got that and remembered. It's in the manual.

"Note: Due to precision-machined tolerances on your shotgun, some break-in period may be required before your new gun
will function reliably with 1 oz target loads. If you experience initial functioning problems with 1 oz loads, we recommend firing three or four boxes of standard hunting loads to allow for this break-in period."

Your loads are light, so don't worry if you get some FTF/FTE. Run some heavy loads. I set up clays on the range and used the hunting loads to practice loading.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom