Best Single Action Semi Auto Pistol under 1000 bucks? (Picking my next gun)

Hello Folks! Happy October.

Well some good fortune came my way over the last week, and i'm sitting on a little excess of cash and even with my upcoming vacation which has been pricey, I will have close to 1000 bucks to spend on a toy.

Just to update on the last thread I made, I am going to also taking the advice of the last thread I made from the kind folks here and spend about 100 on a Samick Sage recurve bow. 45 pound draw. 62 inch length. Something I have been wanting for a long time. I will update that thread with the purchase and any trial and error or progress I make using it. Going to be my first step into the archery world. It's affordable and pretty renowned. I will be careful to not get counterfeit model that seems to be prevalent now. Pretty excited about that.

But I am looking to buy a new gun as well. I have made it a tradition to buy at least one gun each year since I first got my LTC and this year has been an exception thus far. So I will be buying a gun. I'm not sure what to choose though and wanted some suggestions to try out.

In Order, these are the types of guns i'm most feeling right now.

1. Medium to Large frame Semi Auto, SA, 9mm, .45, .40 caliber handgun.

clyde_armory_used_sig_p226_1_1.jpg

I have 2 handguns but both are small, conceal carry, Double Action pocket guns. Meant exclusively for when I go walking in the summer with gym shorts or jogging pants. To keep protected but also be light. One is a S&W 642 .38 + P revolver. The other is a .380 Smith Body Guard. Both are great guns. Especially for the price point. Especially the revolver. But both have trigger pulls that feel like playing thumb war with Barry Bonds. Which is great for concealing and making sure nothing snags it. But I'm really looking for something that has an extremely light, professional, competition trigger. If not competition, something close. Something around or under 5 pounds.

I'd prefer it to be a 9mm, due to the availability and reliability of the ammo. But i'd consider a .45 or .40.

Pistols I particularly like have been the Sig Sauer P226, The Glock19, and a few others. The Sig guns are pretty. But seems to creep a little over my budget. If anyone knows any models that fall under 1000 for SA. Please lmk. And of course, the gorgeous, lucious, and beautiful. FN Five Seven. Which is extremely pricey.

2. Side By Side ("Double Barrel") 12 Guage Shotgun. Wooden stock.

10488474_1.jpg

Honestly, my favorite gun I currently own to shoot is my 12 guage shotgun. It's simply a masterfully crafted gun. And it's like shooting a cannon to fire 3'' magnum through it. It's just a joy and also tactical and practical for a lot of applications. From hunting, to home defense to SHTF scenerios.

I love the look of a beautifully crafted Side By Side Shotgun. Nothing is quite as pretty except for maybe a revolver. It's just beautiful. Some have engravings. Most have a wonderful walnut stock. It's just a work of art. I'd love to own one. Older and more provenance regarding WW2 the better. But those again creep well out of my budget.

3. World War 1 - World War 2 Era Bolt Action Rifle (Lee Enfield, 1903 or Mauser)

springfield-rifle-1903-5.jpg

My dad tells me the stories of the old days when you could buy a 1903 with a few boxes of ammo at the local gun shop for 150 bucks. And how common they were. How my grandpa had about 10 of them. Now... Not so much. I really love WW2 history as you can tell. And i'd love to own a WW2 dated 1903. But they seem to be well over 1,000.

Lee Enfield on the other hand, i've seen them for 300-500 used. Beat up condition. But I think it's a more affordable fire arm.

So what do you folks suggest? Anything i'm overlooking in the price range? I'm leaning towards Glock and SIG. Or maybe a double barrel. Not sure which is more essential right now. What would you suggest based on what I own (Mossberg 500, M1 Garand, 2 side carry pistols, a Ruger 10/22)

Thanks for any tips. I will update with what I buy once I get it :)

TL:didn’t read it all. If you only have DOA handguns, you need to branch out. Striker or DA/SA. f***, SA, you’ll hit like a rock star. And if you only have an extra 1000 bux, pretend it’s an extra 250.

I see the picture of the P225, I had a P6, pretty much the same gun, and of all the stuff I have sold in the last 10 years, that is the only 1 I regret selling.

If this is "found money" buy what is on the top of your "Holy Grail" list.

I see the picture of the P225, I had a P6, pretty much the same gun, and of all the stuff I have sold in the last 10 years, that is the only 1 I regret selling.

If this is "found money" buy what is on the top of your "Holy Grail" list.

Hmm, I think a Sig Sauer P226 is my current holy grail gun since I bought my M1 Garand. I love the look, the build quality. Everything about the name. Maybe a FN Five Seven too. If our SEALs trust them with their life I know I can. Of course excluding things out of my budget like M1A1 Paratropper Carbine or a Civil War era Peacemaker with ivory grips.

I think I might be able to find a P226 for sub 1000 new. Gonna be a chore. But I think i'll be able to talk someone into my price range.

Was yours the Legion model? What are your pros and cons from having owned one? Thanks.

Hi - I’d like to buy a car. I’m stuck between a Porsche 911 Turbo, Suburban, and Grand Wagoneer.

Kidding of course, but it were my money, I’d be looking at a Garand (but you have one, so the Enfield would be great), but that’s the gun “itch” I have right now. I will say that I have a boatload of fun with my Colt Competition Stainless in .45ACP. If this is a toy and you’ve never owned a 45ACP, then consider this. Or you can get a HK 45/45C and spend the rest on ammo. My 45C is my winter carry and that’s a fun range toy too. Also consider a Glock Gen 5 G19 MOS and slap a red dot on it.

If you have a SXS shotgun, then you can get a nice Ruger Vaquero and a Lever action for $1000 or $1100.

Is there a purpose to the semi auto or just fun?

Last edited:
The 226 is an awesome firearm. I suggest trying a Canik sfx. You’d be able to throw an optic on it too and a case of ammo for well under a grand.

Get a Glock you can get a couple conversion barrels for and still be within your price range. then you can enjoy a couple different rounds out of the same frame. For example if you went with a Glock 32 chambered in .357 sig you can get 9mm and .40 conversion barrels (OEM barrels on Glocks website are $125) and shoot em all.

A No.4 Lee-Enfield will be the slickest action you'll ever find on a bolt action rifle. You won't regret getting one at $300~ish.

That leaves $700 for a single action pistol. You can either get a Ruger 1911 for $700, or get a Citadel (or other Philippines brand) with $300 left for ammo.

Hmm, I think a Sig Sauer P226 is my current holy grail gun since I bought my M1 Garand. I love the look, the build quality. Everything about the name. Maybe a FN Five Seven too. If our SEALs trust them with their life I know I can. Of course excluding things out of my budget like M1A1 Paratropper Carbine or a Civil War era Peacemaker with ivory grips.

I think I might be able to find a P226 for sub 1000 new. Gonna be a chore. But I think i'll be able to talk someone into my price range.

Was yours the Legion model? What are your pros and cons from having owned one? Thanks.

Huh?

I thought you wanted a single-action gun? The 226 is a traditional double-action pistol.

I had a P226. I sold it. I haven't missed it. If you really want a DA/SA gun, I suggest a CZ over a 226 -- lower bore axis, lots of tuning parts available to improve the trigger and shorten the reach, better grip, and quite a bit cheaper.

And by the way, the SEALs are replacing the 226 with Glocks.

Last edited:
Protip: Shoot a bunch of guns, then pick one. The gun will pick itself at that point. Buying shit on a lark is fun but its a great way to set cash on fire and end up with the wrong gun.

-Mike

...and keep the classifieds in business with “only fired 50 rds through it” (so it’s worth 200.00 more than I paid).

Last edited:
Does it have to be new? I just picked up a Sig226 legion for $900 that was on consignment at Custom Defense Solutions in Littleton. Had a very low round count..maybe 200 and new holstered. Wow!! The only downside to this handgun is that I may go through ammo rather quickly. This is coming from a novice to handguns.

Huh?

I thought you wanted a single-action gun? The 226 is a traditional double-action pistol.

I had a P226. I sold it. I haven't missed it. If you really want a DA/SA gun, I suggest a CZ over a 226 -- lower bore axis, lots of tuning parts available to improve the trigger and shorten the reach, better grip, and quite a bit cheaper.

This on the CZ.

If you dont have a 9mm glock that would be pretty high on my list.

If youre set on something single action you can get a pretty good quality 1911 for $1000. Maybe even in 9mm.

In this market, I don't see a reason to buy a new gun. You can get a gently used agency trade in 226 for under $500 at CDNN, and you'll stay under a grand even if you buy two cases of ammo and a decent holster with that.

Kinda sounds like you want a 1911. I would try to shoot a bunch of guns and see if one tickles your fancy - I hadn't shot a P226 in a long time until someone traded a 226 Tacops with some sweet Hogue G10 grips and it's one of my most used guns now. CZs are nice but most models under 1000 need trigger work. If you want a striker gun the Canik TP9sfx is a lot of gun for the money.

Here ya go ked. Go big or go home. 44 mag goodness and you can shoot 44 special for low recoil plinking fun.

WTS - S&W 629 Classic

ETA - I know you said you wanted a semi, but everyone really wants a 44 magnum. You never know when you will be attacked by bear. Or feel the need to shoot through an engine block.
If you really have to have a semi, remember what Carl at Four Seasons says... " every shooter should have at least one 1911."

Huh?

If you're a WWII buff get a 1911A1.

Do you know what model Glock they are replacing the P226 with? Is it the G19? I know most law enforcement agents have switched to it. To me that screams reliable. I do like the Glocks quite a bit. They seem to be at least 200 dollars cheaper than the P226 for the G19. I'd have to upgrade the sights but I think I could easily make it wonderful for the 200 difference.

I should have been more specific. I don't mind DA/SA or SAO. Just not DAO. DAO is like getting into a thumb war with Babe Ruth every time you pull the trigger. I've actually had no exaggeration nightmares about it lol. Just a few nights ago I had a nightmare that I was being held at gun point by some thug in my neighborhood and I pulled my J frame and the trigger length and weight was so heinously long that I got killed. It was like suspended in time too. It took me like 10 seconds to pull the trigger and the dude was standing there pretty much mocking me than popped me with what looked like a Baretta. I was pulling it for like a year and it was just dragging back. The dream heavily exaggerates the severity of course. I know with decent force I can easily shoot it. But it's not as fast or comfortable as i'd like for the range. I got two DAO pistols for conceal carry in the summer. But now that winter is upon us and I have my big jacket, I can carry just about anything.

Back
Top Bottom