• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Single Action Semi Auto Pistol under 1000 bucks? (Picking my next gun)

Kinda sounds like you want a 1911. I would try to shoot a bunch of guns and see if one tickles your fancy - I hadn't shot a P226 in a long time until someone traded a 226 Tacops with some sweet Hogue G10 grips and it's one of my most used guns now. CZs are nice but most models under 1000 need trigger work. If you want a striker gun the Canik TP9sfx is a lot of gun for the money.

I do really need a 1911, my only hinderance right now is the old adage of "Colt makes the best 1911, anything else is a knock off". I have also been told "Springfield Armory makes a better 1911 than colt for half the price". And I don't know what to believe. Any truth to either of those two claims? I have been hesitant to buy a 1911 that isn't made by colt just because my inner self is telling me it HAS to be a colt. and than comes big money. But I can however afford a Colt 1911 with 1,000. One of their cheaper models is 800. Has beautiful wood grips. But for that price you can get a wonderful nickel plated SA 1911 with Walnut grips and upgraded sights and a holster, and 2 pizzas, and a case of ammo and a hooker.

As a whole, do you think the 1911 has to be a Colt or is that just old folklore? I know most people say "You get what you pay for, Colt makes the best 1911". Not sure if it's true. I might go to my range and test it out face to face with a Springfield Armory 1911 and do the same for Sig P226 vs Glock 19 and see which of the 4 wins my heart over lol.

I've tried a number of different 1911's. The Springfield Armory ones work great so far. I have the PX9109L - Springfield Armory 1911A1 Loaded 45ACP 706397141097 | gun.deals and also one of the "Mil Spec" (i.e., retro original style teeny weeny sights, no beavertail safety). Never had any issues.

The Smith and Wesson 1911's have worked well also, I have had a couple different versions of the stainless full size. I find the recoil spring is a little stiff on those.

The Ruger 1911 is perfectly fine, very reliable, never had any problems.

I would not get another Sig 1911 however. The one I had was 'tight', and had failures to eject.

Since Colt didn't design the 1911 theirs is also a 'knock off'.

That can be applied to many of the most iconic firearms through history.
John Moses Browning designed hundreds of guns, which he himself didn't produce in any real quantity beyond prototypes, and then sold those designs to manufacturers who put them into mass production. So does that mean all the famous JMB designed Winchester rifles are also knock-offs ???

Get a nice 1911.

If you want, I have a P226 that I want to sell. Just too lazy to post it.

That can be applied to many of the most iconic firearms through history.
John Moses Browning designed hundreds of guns, which he himself didn't produce in any real quantity beyond prototypes, and then sold those designs to manufacturers who put them into mass production. So does that mean all the famous JMB designed Winchester rifles are also knock-offs ???
Quite familiar with Browning's work and specifically why I posted that. And, to your second question, yes. The Winchester rifles are knock offs/copies of JMB's designs. I have a lovely, antique 1886 in 45-70, a model 1894...and also an all correct 1944 Colt 1911A1. They are beautiful examples of knock offs of Browning's designs.

Good lord. You’re all over the place.

Like a Glock? Get a Glock. It doesn’t matter which one; they’re all the same.

Like a 1911? Get a 1911. Anything modern will fire just fine, pretty much regardless of manufacturer.

Like a P226? Go rent one, shoot one, and buy one. I didn’t like SIG’s manual of arms, but you might, and I carry a P938 almost every day.

In other words, YMMV. Shoot a bunch and pick what YOU want, not what we want. And yes, go green for heavens sake.

I think I finally decided on the gun i'm going to get guys. Factoring in everything from price to reliability to ease of use. Thank you all so much for all the tips and advice. Was pretty hard to pick but I definitely found the one. Especially for the price point. I just got back from test firing one. I loved it. And the one I was testing was a Gen 4. I can imagine the upgraded model. :)

glock_19_fs_ab_-1_2.jpg

GLOCK G19 GENERATION 5

I have been pricing and doing comparisons versus other similarly priced pistols. And I think it offers the most for the money. The Gen 5 has supposidly improved much of what people didn't like about the Glock triggers and the model I am looking at has Glock Night Sights included for a very cheap price.

Plain jane with no major add ons the gun is 499.99 brand new down at shooting supply. I can add a night sight optic and amidextrous slide lock and a few goodies for only 73 more. 573 with the glock night sights and it comes with 3 magazines. Get at least 100 rounds of 9mm and some critical defense personal carry stuff to go with it. After tax would hover me to around 750 bucks. Can't go wrong.

It's renowned by a lot of police departments all over the country, the FBI and its one of the most popular carry guns on earth. I actually like that it's polymer because it makes it lighter. Many swear by it and I think it's a wonderful gun. In head to head comparison the guy testing them had better accuracy and groupings with the G19 over the P226. And of course the P226 is built better in terms of materials, it's got an alluminum frame and better trigger. But you pay for it. And I think the 400 dollar price hike on the G19 isn't worth it. I think the G19 since it has less parts is most likely more prone to last. And i'm excited to introduce it to my gun family.

Cool thing with the glock site too, they let you order it online and simply pick it up at my favorite gun store shooting supply. It shows you all the dealers who have it and what price they have it for. Makes it a breeze.

It bests Sig mostly because of price but I might actually prefer the striker fire "safe action" system. It gives you pretty darn close to a SA trigger but with the safety of DAO.

Looking forward to sharing the buy and the memories with everyone :)

Have a blessed weekend folks.

Quite familiar with Browning's work and specifically why I posted that. And, to your second question, yes. The Winchester rifles are knock offs/copies of JMB's designs. I have a lovely, antique 1886 in 45-70, a model 1894...and also an all correct 1944 Colt 1911A1. They are beautiful examples of knock offs of Browning's designs.

If a manufacturer hires a designer, or purchases a new not-yet-produced design, and then become the first exclusive manufacturer of that design, that would make them the original producer of that product. Anyone else who makes copies of that design in the future become the makers of knock-offs.

If a manufacturer hires a designer, or purchases a new not-yet-produced design, and they become the first exclusive manufacturer of that design, that would make them the original producer of that product. Anyone else who makes copies of that design in the future become the makers of knock-offs.

Yes, and their product is a copy/knock-off of the design they bought from the designer...Browning. Browning designed the 1886. Winchester bought the design from Browning and produced copies/knock-offs of that design. If Browning was employed by Winchester then the Winchesters wouldn't be knock-offs...of Winchesters.

I know what you're saying and I'm just screwing with you. :cool:

I think I finally decided on the gun i'm going to get guys. Factoring in everything from price to reliability to ease of use. Thank you all so much for all the tips and advice. Was pretty hard to pick but I definitely found the one. Especially for the price point. I just got back from test firing one. I loved it. And the one I was testing was a Gen 4. I can imagine the upgraded model. :)

glock_19_fs_ab_-1_2.jpg

GLOCK G19 GENERATION 5

I have been pricing and doing comparisons versus other similarly priced pistols. And I think it offers the most for the money. The Gen 5 has supposidly improved much of what people didn't like about the Glock triggers and the model I am looking at has Glock Night Sights included for a very cheap price.

Plain jane with no major add ons the gun is 499.99 brand new down at shooting supply. I can add a night sight optic and amidextrous slide lock and a few goodies for only 73 more. 573 with the glock night sights and it comes with 3 magazines. Get at least 100 rounds of 9mm and some critical defense personal carry stuff to go with it. After tax would hover me to around 750 bucks. Can't go wrong.

It's renowned by a lot of police departments all over the country, the FBI and its one of the most popular carry guns on earth. I actually like that it's polymer because it makes it lighter. Many swear by it and I think it's a wonderful gun. In head to head comparison the guy testing them had better accuracy and groupings with the G19 over the P226. And of course the P226 is built better in terms of materials, it's got an alluminum frame and better trigger. But you pay for it. And I think the 400 dollar price hike on the G19 isn't worth it. I think the G19 since it has less parts is most likely more prone to last. And i'm excited to introduce it to my gun family.

Cool thing with the glock site too, they let you order it online and simply pick it up at my favorite gun store shooting supply. It shows you all the dealers who have it and what price they have it for. Makes it a breeze.

It bests Sig mostly because of price but I might actually prefer the striker fire "safe action" system. It gives you pretty darn close to a SA trigger but with the safety of DAO.

Looking forward to sharing the buy and the memories with everyone :)

Have a blessed weekend folks.

While I agree that Glocks are reliable, simply made and cost effective (as long as you’re not paying the AG’s FU’d price), you really shouldn’t ever base your decisions on what police depts do.

They are not “gun people” as much as you’d think they were. It’s an issued item just like a pants belt and 75% of them can barely pass their qualifications or field strip it and put it back together without someone else showing them how, every time.

The only reason so many police depts carry Glocks is cost effectiveness and cutting deals with Glock for better pricing on quantities during the purchase order process.

That said, I think it’s a great pistol and you’ll be happy with it. Have you gotten $23.00 dollars worth of advice yet on this thread alone? I think so. Do push ups and go green.

Protip: Shoot a bunch of guns, then pick one. The gun will pick itself at that point. Buying shit on a lark is fun but its a great way to set cash on fire and end up with the wrong gun.

-Mike

This is great advice and applies in many areas of life. Things change from you making a decision to something being a foregone conclusion and nothing else makes sense.

Your thread started as looking for the best SAO pistol for $1000 and you are going with a Glock???

Not exactly filling your original thread requirements.

That being said. The G19 is a must have for anyone. It does a lot of things well. I’ve said it before but if I could only have 1 handgun ever then it would be a G19

Protip: Shoot a bunch of guns, then pick one. The gun will pick itself at that point. Buying shit on a lark is fun but its a great way to set cash on fire and end up with the wrong gun.

-Mike

Yeah but who listens to this advice? I didn't. If I did I'd never have owned a bunch of cool HKs.

If you really have to have a semi, remember what Carl at Four Seasons says... " every shooter should have at least one 1911."

Can someone explain that to me? Seems odd cause good ones are $1000+ and it's only like 7-8 rounds and has a lot of levers and stuff that seem kind of unnecessary in 2019.

Can someone explain that to me? Seems odd cause good ones are $1000+ and it's only like 7-8 rounds and has a lot of levers and stuff that seem kind of unnecessary in 2019.
Im gonna get a lot of hate for this, but my first gun was a Springfield 1911 R.O. in 9mm. With a cobra mag, which really are the mags you should get, its 10 round capacity. The thing is ridiculous to shoot. Super accurate, minuscule recoil, and oh so fun to shoot. And the version I got, with parkerized finish, target sights and wood grips looks damn sexy. Since then ive gotten a P365 and a P226 Legion, that springfield 1911 in 9mm is still by far my favorite to shoot. That is one gun ill never get rid of. And the best part, its $700.

I now kinda want a 1911 in 10mm, screw the belief that a 1911 has to be colt, or has to be 45.

If you're in Mass the P226 is a good option cause of prebans. I've never carried mine, but will strap it on when SHTF. Outside Mass I'd go with a CZ like P01/PCR if for carry.

If you take apart a CZ and P226 you can see why the CZ is cheaper. Don't think it matters for function, and I'd trust a CZ over a modern Sig. mine is West German.

Back
Top Bottom