Best source for 9mm cartridges with lead bullet?

My friend in NH (lucky SOB) purchased a new H&K P30 and wants to join a club that only allows lead bullets at the indoor range (Pelham, NH). I'm pretty sure they allow center fire ammo like 9mm. However my friend doesn't reload and doesn't know where to get lead bullet cartridges. Ideas? I'm hoping that the H&K is ok with lead bullets. Of course being in NH he can get em shipped to his house. Thanks.

I think most well-stock gun shops have a passel tucked away somewhere for just this reason; I've gotten them from both big gun shops near me. Locally it's just reloads, but Midway etc. will sell you new-manufacture lead-nose 9mm from Magtech. (If you live in New Hampshire, anyway. They go on sale periodically for a nice price.)

If you still find an old stock of the Carroll reloads anywhere, note that they're pretty light loads and may not cycle some semi-autos reliably.

I'm hoping that the H&K is ok with lead bullets. Of course being in NH he can get em shipped to his house. Thanks.

Supposedly lead bullets will gum up a polygonal barrel pretty quickly. (Most HK and Glock pistols have such barrels). Not sure if there is any truth to it, but I'm not about to find out with my own. I have plenty of non HKs to shoot my non-jacketed lead stuff through.

Icyclefar is right though, M+M sells RNLs all the time. They usually have a
booth set up at the bigger NH gun shows.

-Mike

For good gun cleaning, probably ought to clean with a robust lead cleaner on a bit of brass wool on the end of a cleaning rod, or have him spring for an Outers Foul Out system.

I am a member of Pelham too; you are correct, any caliber is ok but the projectiles must be lead only. I reload lead 9mm for my wife and I to shoot in there. If he is near Lawrence give Rob a shout at Gun and Sport North (978) 689-2722:
they used to carry RNL reloads..perhaps he can pick up a box or two.

Supposedly lead bullets will gum up a polygonal barrel pretty quickly. (Most HK and Glock pistols have such barrels). Not sure if there is any truth to it, but I'm not about to find out with my own. I have plenty of non HKs to shoot my non-jacketed lead stuff through.
Yeah... supposedly not just gum up the rifling but increase pressure as well from the buildup. Some discussion here:
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=113313

Glock + lead bullets = kB. If you do it, Glock won't touch it.

You'll find RNL 9mms at Dick's, remanufactured Ultramax that works pretty well.

Glock + lead bullets = kB. If you do it, Glock won't touch it.

I regularly shot hard-cast lead bullets out of my M 23 without incident.

Then again, I wasn't a moron about it. I put a couple of jacketed rounds through the gun after each match and actually used the bore brush that came with the gun. [wink]

I would have little hesitation about using my current lead bullets, which are polymer-coated, very slick and leave very little residue in the bore.

Then again, I wasn't a moron about it. I put a couple of jacketed rounds through the gun after each match and actually used the bore brush that came with the gun. [wink]

I'm no expert but I think what you did IS the concern. If your barrel leads up and you shoot some rounds of FMJ after the lead.... it could generate an over pressure situation as some lead deposits could "block" the FMJ.

Maybe others can chime in on this.

Which is why I did it BEFORE there was any significant accumulation! I find a jacketed round or two at the bottom of the mag is A Good Thing as well.

Shot the Glock for about 3-4 years w/o any incident. As I reloaded the brass I shot, I would have noticed any significant bulges or flattened primers and never saw any such indicies of excessive pressure.

As with ALL reloading advice, take at your own risk and start from the bottom and work up!

FWIW, I fire 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45ACP lead in my Glocks. No problem for the 9mm Glock 17 and the 45ACP Glock 21, but a very BIG problem in the 40S&W G35. The OEM barrel leaded up quick and heavy. I picked up a standard aftermarket barrel and now shoot 40's in the G35 without a problem. I only use jacketed ammo in the 40S&W OEM barrel.

My friend in NH (lucky SOB) purchased a new H&K P30 and wants to join a club that only allows lead bullets at the indoor range (Pelham, NH). I'm pretty sure they allow center fire ammo like 9mm. However my friend doesn't reload and doesn't know where to get lead bullet cartridges. Ideas? I'm hoping that the H&K is ok with lead bullets. Of course being in NH he can get em shipped to his house. Thanks.

Check out Bullseye Shooting Supplies:

www.bullseyeshootingsupplies.com

Click on the reloads link

Back
Top Bottom