• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best States for Gun Owners 2014

wow check out all the surprised comments.

- - - Updated - - -

hahah we beat california. and they got bullet buttons. lol

We're 48, we're 48, we're 48.

Vermont is #17 because suppressor's are a no go (legit) and because if you want to buy a gun from a neighboring state other than NH, the gun laws there suck. So how is that Vt's fault and you can get anything in Vt.

We're 48, we're 48, we're 48.

Vermont is #17 because suppressor's are a no go (legit) and because if you want to buy a gun from a neighboring state other than NH, the gun laws there suck. So how is that Vt's fault and you can get anything in Vt.

It appeared to be more inclusive than just gun laws. By that, the gun culture as a whole, including how things are for places near you (not necessarily in that state), were factored. Likewise, NH wasn't as high because of its location also.

It appeared to be more inclusive than just gun laws. By that, the gun culture as a whole, including how things are for places near you (not necessarily in that state), were factored. Likewise, NH wasn't as high because of its location also.

Pretty stupid to include the neighboring states. In the northeast the states are close and people go to other states fairly often. The laws in tx are good as are the surrounding states. But say the surrounding states were not great. It might be a 9 or 10 hr drive to get to another state from tx.

You are looking at it the wrong way. I didn't read it as the states with the 'best gun laws'. As a gun owner in NH, NH is great...until I drive 5 minutes south or 30 minutes north. Not so great for me then.

This list id typical magazine quality garbage. I disagree w most of it....pretty arbitrary selections.

also MA should be in the top 5 since Martha keeps us so safe.

I have property in KY, MT, and VT...so I have that going for me.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk 2

How they can claim SC is ten points (15 vs 25) better than NH is beyond me. I mean FFS open carry is ILLEGAL in SC!!! Yes SC is not surrounded by moonbats but come on! No open carry!!! Not to mention there are still a whole host of places one cannot carry (compared to NH) and the license process requires a class, fingerprints, passport photos, costs more, and take a fair bit longer than 14 days.

How they can claim SC is ten points (15 vs 25) better than NH is beyond me. I mean FFS open carry is ILLEGAL in SC!!! Yes SC is not surrounded by moonbats but come on! No open carry!!! Not to mention there are still a whole host of places one cannot carry (compared to NH) and the license process requires a class, fingerprints, passport photos, costs more, and take a fair bit longer than 14 days.

Probably for most people 'open carry' isn't that big a deal. It is for some, but most are simply fine with easy to acquire CCW's.

Probably for most people 'open carry' isn't that big a deal. It is for some, but most are simply fine with easy to acquire CCW's.

You will note I point out how the NH license is easier to acquire than SC....

Also, SC considers NOLO to be a conviction....

The real reason for open carry to be allowed is so that if the wind happens to expose your firearm, or you bend over, or reach too high you are not suddenly committing a misdemeanor or felony. That is the real benefit for open carry.

Don't get me wrong, the culture in SC is quite different but NH is actually better. I have a friend who committed a couple juvenile actions that resulted in him being adjudicated. If he was an adult when those things were committed, it would be a felony. As a result, he cannot touch a firearm in SC (likely most Southern states) but is perfectly fine in NH. One of our members here who I have met in person cannot get a CCW in SC due to a NOLO he plead to. He is perfectly fine in NH.

The Southern states may be shall issue but they have way more "gotchas" than NH and some states out west.

Last edited:
You will note I point out how the NH license is easier to acquire than SC....

Also, SC considers NOLO to be a conviction....

The real reason for open carry to be allowed is so that if the wind happens to expose your firearm, or you bend over, or reach too high you are not suddenly committing a misdemeanor or felony. That is the real benefit for open carry.

Don't get me wrong, the culture in SC is quite different but NH is actually better. I have a friend who committed a couple juvenile actions that resulted in him being adjudicated. If he was an adult when those things were committed, it would be a felony. As a result, he cannot touch a firearm in SC (likely most Southern states) but is perfectly fine in NH. One of our members here who I have met in person cannot get a CCW in SC due to a NOLO he plead to. He is perfectly fine in NH.

The Southern states may be shall issue but they have way more "gotchas" than NH and some states out west.

I wasn't arguing with 'you', your points are valid. I'm just saying after living in 5 different states (all gun friendly TX, LA, SC, AZ, ME), if this editor lives somewhere where open carry isn't such a big deal like it is up here where laws are retarded when it comes to firearms, it probably effected his 'weighting' system for the list.

Because an accidental flash of a gun being reason to jam someone up is, well, retarded.

Edit. I was hung up on the felon thing, so a felony that has been adjudicated in some way will allow someone to not be a prohibited person. Did some googling, answer found, amazing stuff this internet.

Last edited:
Because an accidental flash of a gun being reason to jam someone up is, well, retarded.

It is but the reason OC needs to be legal is to give any douche cops one less opportunity to **** with someone under the color of law. Even if the situation is that the douche cops are in the minority in those places. It's not because most of us need to actually openly carry a handgun. The less leeway that a LEO has to **** with someone WRT lawfully carried firearms the better off the entire situation is. Then it gets to a point where there's not a damned thing they can do unless you're actually causing a legitimate public safety issue, which is the way it should be.

-Mike

If you live in VT you're not going to be buying guns from MA (because of simons rock) or NY, because of these states laws. (not to mention most of the guns in either are crap compared to what you can buy in VT as a resident. ) Kinda renders that issue mostly moot. Outside of the suppressor issue, VT is in the top 10 best easily. It's also one of the few states that doesn't get all pissy WRT possession by minors with parental consent.

-Mike

Last edited:
I wasn't arguing with 'you', your points are valid. I'm just saying after living in 5 different states (all gun friendly TX, LA, SC, AZ, ME), if this editor lives somewhere where open carry isn't such a big deal like it is up here where laws are retarded when it comes to firearms, it probably effected his 'weighting' system for the list.

Edit. I was hung up on the felon thing, so a felony that has been adjudicated in some way will allow someone to not be a prohibited person. Did some googling, answer found, amazing stuff this internet.

I forgot to note that Maine is also one of "those" states WRT to NOLO and juvenile adjudication (which angers my friend because he always thought he was fine to just unload his sidearm, now he sees that he is prohibited from even bringing the firearm into Maine).

I forgot to note that Maine is also one of "those" states WRT to NOLO and juvenile adjudication (which angers my friend because he always thought he was fine to just unload his sidearm, now he sees that he is prohibited from even bringing the firearm into Maine).

Is it possible for him to seek an expungement in the state the offense was committed in?

-Mike

This list id typical magazine quality garbage. I disagree w most of it....pretty arbitrary selections.

Firearm owners are licensed and permits to purchase must be secured before obtaining any firearm in the Bay State.

Mass requires "Permits To Purchase" ???
That sounds like a New Jersey thing.
Sorry, the article screwed the pooch on this one.

Mass requires "Permits To Purchase" ???
That sounds like a New Jersey thing.
Sorry, the article screwed the pooch on this one.

That's funny, they're using something that hasn't exisited in reality in MA since like before 1998. Way to go on the fact checking for this piece. [rofl]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live in VT you're not going to be buying guns from MA (because of simons rock) or NY, because of these states laws. (not to mention most of the guns in either are crap compared to what you can buy in VT as a resident. ) Kinda renders that issue mostly moot. Outside of the suppressor issue, VT is in the top 10 best easily. It's also one of the few states that doesn't get all pissy WRT possession by minors with parental consent.

-Mike

If I remember correctly, I think you can carry at 16 in Vt. And as you said, who cares if you can't buy in MA or NY if you already have access to everything in Vt? Plus you can buy in Vt or ME so it's not like they are an island. The Vt sales tax is less than MA too so it's not like someone in SW vermont could save any money crossing over, etc. The piece was written by a guy who just lumps all the northeast states together when there are some very real difference between north and south new england. I mentioned in an older thread about liberals. Yes Vt is very liberal but there is a real difference on guns and some other issues with rural liberals and urban state liberals. The rural ones understand shelter is place is not an option waiting for 911.

- - - Updated - - -

And if you want to talk about the neighboring states that they were saying with the northeast, living in NH, yeah you have MA to the south but you have Vt and Me nextdoor, what's wrong with them?

Look at how the anti's were flipping over the recent Georgia gun law. There are a few things in there that are good that we don't have but for the most part they were just losing the restrictions on where to carry, etc. that MA doesn't even have. The issue with the southern states is they were D controlled (some still have quite a few local D's) until fairly recently. NC passed some very good gun laws this year or late last year and it's because the R's have control of the legislature for the first time since the 1860's or so. They have their first R gov in forever too.

We'll see all these laws change now that the R's and more freedom loving pol's are in power but it has taken time to throw out the statists.

Back
Top Bottom