• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

best way to break in a holster

i purchased a new leather holster that is very tight .
i have loosened the adjusting screw and it is still quite tight .
do I use gun oil or saddle soap to loosen the the leather ?

theres other ways to do it

if you just want it to be a little easier to holster/unholster the sock is the way to go. it makes the gun a little bit bigger stretching the leather and silk is pretty thin so it doesn't do it too much.

OWB? If so and it has a strap it'll take care of itself in a few days if you just leave it snapped.

Not a good idea to use oil; you want the holster to remain stiff. There are lubricants that can ease the drawing of the gun. I have used a product called KG 9 that reduces friction allowing an easier draw.

A few manufacturers tell you to a plastic bag on tight holsters. I'm breaking in a leather IWB holster and they mentioned to wrap the gun in the plastic bag the holster came in and let the gun/holster sit for a couple of hours. They also said if it doesn't fit the way you want after that, double up on the bag and do it again, which I had to do so I used a quart sized freezer bag. I let sit in the safe over night and worked like a champ. My goal was to be able to draw the gun and not have the whole rig try and come out with the gun but yet still have that retention "snap" when reinserted back into the holster.

Master holster maker Lou Alessi (RIP Lou your are missed)once told me to wet the holster with warn water, out the gun in a zip lock bag to keep it dry, put the gun in the holster and let it dry. He called it a wet fit. I have done this for a long time each time I buy holsters and it works fine. Snug any adjusting screw

Added plus is it washes the excess dye from the holster that usually ends up on your skin with a IWB holster when you sweat

Back
Top Bottom