• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best way to obtain non-resident LTC for my circumstances?

Hello all!
I’m researching the best way to obtain a non-resident LTC in MA. I am currently a resident of Georgia with a GA weapons carry license. My girlfriend is moving to Boston in the coming months, and as I know I will be there quite frequently in the coming years, I am hoping to find a way to carry. I am unsure if my arrangement is a sufficient justification to receive an unrestricted LTC. I am currently a 25 year old medical student that doesn’t hunt or attend sporting events. Any help, advice would be much appreciated.

Welcome!!!

I think you will have to apply in person in Chelsea, MA. You'll have to make an appointment.
It will be unrestricted if I recall - so you could carry.

Others will chime in shortly to correct me if I'm wrong.

Welcome!!!

I think you will have to apply in person in Chelsea, MA. You'll have to make an appointment.
It will be unrestricted if I recall - so you could carry.

Others will chime in shortly to correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe most are unfortunately, restricted. Those with "special" circumstances (carrying large sums of cash, lawyers, MA instructor), or having a prior unrestricted resident license have a shot at unrestricted.

What Reptile said is correct. You need to apply in person in Chelsea, and then subsequent annual renewals can be by mail (I forget how many, 5 or 6), before you need to come back in person.

Sounds like you know, but the GA permit doesn't mean anything in Mass. Don't bring anything with you prior to having the MA LTC, and that includes ammo.

the GA permit in MA means crap, just ask the woman that was attacked by 2 dogs in Springfield last weekend.... she used a gun to defend herself from 2 dogs attacking her, GA permit, she is now facing a slew of charges for not being licensed, possession of this and that... you know the drill.

Even on a non res permit, no post AWB94 high capacity magazines allowed, etc etc etc.

I thought the Non Resident ones were being issued with no restrictions?

Not only does your GA weapons permit mean absolutely squat in MA - if you're accustomed to gun laws down here - you're in for a cold sht shower as you learn about MA gun laws.

I'm absolutely serious. I lived in CT for a couple of decades - with MA being one of my nearby states. It's a different world.

I believe most are unfortunately, restricted. Those with "special" circumstances (carrying large sums of cash, lawyers, MA instructor), or having a prior unrestricted resident license have a shot at unrestricted.

What Reptile said is correct. You need to apply in person in Chelsea, and then subsequent annual renewals can be by mail (I forget how many, 5 or 6), before you need to come back in person.

Sounds like you know, but the GA permit doesn't mean anything in Mass. Don't bring anything with you prior to having the MA LTC, and that includes ammo.
The last three people I know who applied--myself included--all got unrestricted licenses.

That said, it's hardly a sure thing and you'll need to at least attempt to show cause why you "deserve" an unrestricted license.

And yes, for the first application you'll need to appear in person in Chelsea, and every few years after that.
The license is $100 and is good for one year. You will also need to take a MA LTC course, which will probably run you circa $100 as well. I don't know which ones are available to you in GA either remotely or as part of another class that would meet the requirements.

The GA permit is NOT useless--having a license in your home state is a prerequisite, so at least you've got that covered.

In the end, you'll have to weigh making the trip to Chelsea and shelling out $100 a year as a cost/benefit analysis. Probably depends on how often you'll be visiting, and where. If it's three or four weeks a year...that's $25-$33 per week for license, not including traveling costs and getting the LTC course.

Thanks guys! I definitely understand that my GA permit does not allow me to carry.

It seems like there is little chance to obtain an unrestricted LTC without being law enforcement, large sums of cash, etc? Any tips on how I could shape my justification?

Let me suggest you get in touch with @Len-2A Training. He can give your the course you need and just as importantly he does a course on Ma Gun Law. It is 6 hours. Coming from Ga. you won't believe what is normal here. I came here after decades in gun friendly states and will tell you it is like moving to a foreign country. The laws don't mean as much as how they get applied which Len makes all too clear are not fair, equitable, or even logical. As far as how to get unrestricted, being an instructor and moving money or other valuables like gun collections certainly go a long way.

I hold an LTC-A as a non-resident and am certified as a BFS instructor.

The non-resident application process is handled by FRB. Initial applications require attending an in-person appointment at the FRB office in Chelsea. Currently, renewals are by mail with an in-person appointment being required every 6 years. (That's better than the previous requirement of annual in-person appearances).

It is important that non-resident applicants make sure that they take their BFS course from a Mass certified instructor and get/submit the Mass certificate with their application. (e.g. NRA Basic Pistol Shooting is an approved class but the NRA certificate is not acceptable. An individual needs to take the approved course and submit the Mass certificate reflecting successful completion of LTC-002). As a non-resident, it's really important to seek a course from somebody who has a really solid foundation in MA law. There are some technical legal topics that will be very different from what you are used to and which could really bite you in the butt.

FRB provides a cover letter with information about the specific of restrictions that they impose. In some instances custom or hybrid restrictions can be imposed as well. Many non-resident licenses are restricted (which differs from the past practice when MSP was processing them directly an almost always issuing unrestricted licenses). A big piece of whether an individual ends up with restrictions or not depends on a combination of the reason itself and articulation.

You don't need justification.

Apply for the license. You will probably get a restricted license that doesn't allow you to carry.

However, if you carry in excess of your restrictions its just a non-criminal civil offense. So if you ever have to use a firearm in self defense, they will take your gun and revoke your license. No big deal.

This IS a big deal for a MA resident because it means that a MA resident can never own guns as long as they live in MA, and the police will come and take the ones the resident already has.

But as a GA resident all they can do is take your carry gun and license, and fine you.

Resurrecting this thread. What if you are moving out of MA and are switching from an unrestricted res LTC to a non-res permit because you will still be traveling into the state to see family? Does that matter at all? And will Chelsea make you take a course even though you’ve had a MA res LTC forever?

Resurrecting this thread. What if you are moving out of MA and are switching from an unrestricted res LTC to a non-res permit because you will still be traveling into the state to see family? Does that matter at all? And will Chelsea make you take a course even though you’ve had a MA res LTC forever?
If you have a MA license, there is no need for a safety course to apply for a non-resident once you move out of state

Back
Top Bottom