• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

The garden looks to be off to a great start, I thought ihad wipred out the resident vole community but there are still a few smarter rodents weraking havoc

I might have to hire someone to de- verminize my yard

Has anyone here tried growing Hops? I got a packet and it has some weird directions about putting the seeds in the fridge for 3 months in sand and then planting them outside in dirt.
I grow hops. I started them from the rhizomes from a hop yard in Michigan. The chilling process is for stratification. I would wait until next spring and i wouldn't bother trying to grow them indoors. They will grow up to 16' on a trellis.
Hops are a perennial so they produce better in the 2nd and 3rd seasons. 16567252415738848952240142704928.jpg
A great book on the subject.

Made Turnip Fries tonight. Yum.

Cut a fresh turnip root into shoestring potato strips, seasoned with Lowry's Seasoning/pepper/garlic powder and fried in a 1/4-inch of olive oil.
So tasty. If you don't like the "earthy" taste of turnip, try it this way...
~Enbloc

Like this but no ketchup...

1656727521755.png

1656727451285.png This is what I'm making tomorrow. Kkakdugi (winter kimchi) is what used to be served at the KATUSA snack bar on the compound in South Korea in the fall/winter. We'd eat it with fried rice, some beef and ramen noodles.

I grow hops. I started them from the rhizomes from a hop yard in Michigan. The chilling process is for stratification. I would wait until next spring and i wouldn't bother trying to grow them indoors. They will grow up to 16' on a trellis.
Hops are a perennial so they produce better in the 2nd and 3rd seasons. View attachment 632813
A great book on the subject.
Can you do anything else than beer with them? Like cooking or eating raw? Dont know much about them

Can you do anything else than beer with them? Like cooking or eating raw? Dont know much about them
Hops make great tea.
Internally it acts as a sedative and antispasmodic. It is also a diuretic and used for coughs and fevers.
Externally for rheumatism and inflammation, spasms, etc.

It was the monks that made it a law to include hops in beer. They ( the monks) appreciated the sedative effects of hops. It prevented a lot of drunken promiscuity.

It’s why hops is in beer today.

The bees are definitely busy in the garden this year.

Our cucumbers didn't do nearly this well last year and we planted maybe twice as many this go around. Should be a good harvest.
Funny, the ebb & flow of what grows good one year and poorly in another...
Garden diversity is key...

Funny, the ebb & flow of what grows good one year and poorly in another...
Garden diversity is key...

We did move them from the 'old' garden to the 'new'. Old gets more shade.

Also, I would be remiss to not share these with you. Not quite that colorful yet, but plentiful for sure. And definitely starting to show those tiger stripes that seem to get yer engine all revved up!

Attachments

• 20220703_143838.jpg
    20220703_143838.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220703_143927.jpg
    20220703_143927.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 16
Yeah, if you only have a few small beds. Morning hand-trapping in soapy water is best for small infestations...

Made Turnip Fries tonight. Yum.

Cut a fresh turnip root into shoestring potato strips, seasoned with Lowry's Seasoning/pepper/garlic powder and fried in a 1/4-inch of olive oil.
So tasty. If you don't like the "earthy" taste of turnip, try it this way...
~Enbloc

Like this but no ketchup...

View attachment 632831
Going to share this with the wife, since she always compares eating turnips with dirt.

Back
Top Bottom