• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

^whoa!
I hate that stuff but, nice haul.

I had some garlic fall flat due to too much sun. Pulled it all. Some came with seeds - albeit very young. Anyone know if these seeds will be viable for fall planting?

thx!

If you like the ingredients in this give it a try. Best zucchini dish I have ever had:
Grilled Cheddar Zucchini Boats with Balsamic Leeks | Cabot Creamery
My mother does a version of stuffed zucchini involving sausage and/or hamburger meat.

A favorite: ribbon salad (attached).

And then there are zucchini latkes:

Grate two medium zucchini and one small onion, sprinkle with salt, and let drain in a strainer for an hour or two.
Beat two eggs, squeeze drained grated zucchini and onion to wring out as much remaining moisture as possible, add to eggs. Mix. Add 2 1/2 T cornmeal, 2 1/2 T flour (or sub like I have to do cuz I can't eat wheat), another pinch of salt, a pinch of baking powder and sugar, mix.
Heat oil (I like to use a combination of avocado and duck fat, but use what you'd like with a decent smoke point) - enough to put a decent puddle in a fry pan. Fry a few at a time, one side til brown then flip and brown other side.

Attachments

• Zucchini Ribbon Salad.pdf
    335.3 KB · Views: 4
My mother does a version of stuffed zucchini involving sausage and/or hamburger meat.

A favorite: ribbon salad (attached).

And then there are zucchini latkes:

Grate two medium zucchini and one small onion, sprinkle with salt, and let drain in a strainer for an hour or two.
Beat two eggs, squeeze drained grated zucchini and onion to wring out as much remaining moisture as possible, add to eggs. Mix. Add 2 1/2 T cornmeal, 2 1/2 T flour (or sub like I have to do cuz I can't eat wheat), another pinch of salt, a pinch of baking powder and sugar, mix.
Heat oil (I like to use a combination of avocado and duck fat, but use what you'd like with a decent smoke point) - enough to put a decent puddle in a fry pan. Fry a few at a time, one side til brown then flip and brown other side.
I am definitely going to try those latkes. Thank you!

Zucchini and summer squash are doing nice. Bunch of green tomatoes. Garden is coming along nice. Wish we would get more rain though. The chickens are obviously working together now, I have a pair in the garden every afternoon. Still not sure how they are getting in the front yard. I suspect my wife has something to do with it.
20220709_164840.jpg

Looking to try and pickle some pepperoncini's and maybe banana peppers. Anyone have a home recipe for doing this? Have searched the Internet, lots of similar options, just wondering who has tried what. Probably looking for the quicker refrigerator methods rather than canning as I only have a couple of pepper plants to deal with this year.

Looking to try and pickle some pepperoncini's and maybe banana peppers. Anyone have a home recipe for doing this? Have searched the Internet, lots of similar options, just wondering who has tried what. Probably looking for the quicker refrigerator methods rather than canning as I only have a couple of pepper plants to deal with this year.
Try this: https://www.ballmasonjars.com/blog?cid=hot-peppers

To piggyback off this slightly. If you are looking for something more than a few weeks worth of storage, you'll want to water bath with high acidity or pressure can. If I don't plan for us to eat the veg within a few days out of the garden, it gets put up for long term storage as I would rather the fridge and freezer space be limited to things we plan to eat short term.

To piggyback off this slightly. If you are looking for something more than a few weeks worth of storage, you'll want to water bath with high acidity or pressure can. If I don't plan for us to eat the veg within a few days out of the garden, it gets put up for long term storage as I would rather the fridge and freezer space be limited to things we plan to eat short term.
This will be for short term, just looking to get the peppers more flavorful. We use some of them in cooking, which is fine. I think my main goal is to try and get the pepperoncini peppers to be good to just put whole on a salad or as a side with a sandwich to each like that. Fresh doesn't have the same taste as the ones you get at a restaurant. And the banana peppers need a little more flavor to put on a sandwich. So something in a jar in the fridge is probably what I'm looking for. I want to be able to open it and take a few out and put it back in and use them as I go.

There are plenty of recipes for this online, was just wondering if anyone here had done it and what they used and how they came out.

This will be for short term, just looking to get the peppers more flavorful. We use some of them in cooking, which is fine. I think my main goal is to try and get the pepperoncini peppers to be good to just put whole on a salad or as a side with a sandwich to each like that. Fresh doesn't have the same taste as the ones you get at a restaurant. And the banana peppers need a little more flavor to put on a sandwich. So something in a jar in the fridge is probably what I'm looking for. I want to be able to open it and take a few out and put it back in and use them as I go.

There are plenty of recipes for this online, was just wondering if anyone here had done it and what they used and how they came out.

Thus far, the only peppers I've done that were refrigerated were of the cowboy candy variety. Jalapeno. I've never done crack. If crack is like these, crack would be on the menu.

This is, I believe, the recipe I used last year.

The main idea is a combination of the fruit/veggie + vinegar + salt/sugar. The higher "proof" the longer it should last. Since its in the fridge, its going to ward off most bacteria as it is. Hopefully that helps in your search for a recipe that suits you.

Even if you're light on the stabilizers I would think you would get a month easy. If you find the perfect recipe, multiple months. Just make sure your fridge is set cold enough.

The main idea is a combination of the fruit/veggie + vinegar + salt/sugar. The higher "proof" the longer it should last. Since its in the fridge, its going to ward off most bacteria as it is. Hopefully that helps in your search for a recipe that suits you.

Even if you're light on the stabilizers I would think you would get a month easy. If you find the perfect recipe, multiple months. Just make sure your fridge is set cold enough.

I get complaints the fridge is set too cold, some things go semi-frozen. A quick reminder that the fridge is not a freezer and shouldn't be packed to the gills gets me "the look" with a follow up look of 'yeah, I know'.

Back
Top Bottom