• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

You should be worried about blight.
Mulch staves the blight off?
my taters look fine, but I’ve been seeing small patches of white ( ?fungus)
I dig it out and get it off the property.
Ow I’m getting nervous
I don’t want to starve to death in another potato famine

Attachments

• D2F503A5-80E3-40F7-B528-D87F882ACF3A.jpeg
    D2F503A5-80E3-40F7-B528-D87F882ACF3A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 312C5874-8638-4F04-8041-DAFA810B3623.jpeg
    312C5874-8638-4F04-8041-DAFA810B3623.jpeg
    762.5 KB · Views: 8
Mulch staves the blight off?
my taters look fine, but I’ve been seeing small patches of white ( ?fungus)
I dig it out and get it off the property.
Ow I’m getting nervous
I don’t want to starve to death in another potato famine
Most blights are passed through the soil. As rain or watering practices splash water back up from the soil, the blight gets splashed too.
Mulching is a very effective method to prevent this.
I prefer salt marsh hay. It is seedless and rots well without encouraging disease.

Some on this thread have suggested leaves and lawn clippings.

Leaves will absolutely promote disease unless composted first. Leaves will also rob the soil of nitrogen to decompose.

Lawn clippings will create excessive heat as they decompose as well as promoting disease.

Leaves mixed with lawn clippings make great compost after a year. Make a new pile every year and use last years pile. Endless supply.

As far as the fungus growing on your soil; Are you watering too much? Did you put down fresh manure this spring?
If you plants look fine, don’t worry about it too much.

FYI: potato plants look like heck into August and September. It’s ok, you don’t harvest the tops.

Most blights are passed through the soil. As rain or watering practices splash water back up from the soil, the blight gets splashed too.
Mulching is a very effective method to prevent this.
I prefer salt marsh hay. It is seedless and rots well without encouraging disease.

Some on this thread have suggested leaves and lawn clippings.

Leaves will absolutely promote disease unless composted first. Leaves will also rob the soil of nitrogen to decompose.

Lawn clippings will create excessive heat as they decompose as well as promoting disease.

Leaves mixed with lawn clippings make great compost after a year. Make a new pile every year and use last years pile. Endless supply.

As far as the fungus growing on your soil; Are you watering too much? Did you put down fresh manure this spring?
If you plants look fine, don’t worry about it too much.

FYI: potato plants look like heck into August and September. It’s ok, you don’t harvest the tops.
Yes to the manure
might be a bit excessive at times with water. The drip line developed a rupture for A while before I noticed
Thanks

I'm told that is basil. The other two are lettuce and spinach.
Basil is more wrinkly... my guess is larger leaf spinach on left, spinach tops or the right (of the 3 center pickle cukes)
Basil would also have a very distinct smell...

lol. Thanks for letting me "play"...

Basil is more wrinkly... my guess is larger leaf spinach on left, spinach tops or the right (of the 3 center pickle cukes)

You tell her she's wrong. I'm already in the doghouse and on cleaning duty... "get rid of that sh!te as it's cluttering up my house"

/eta : in her defense, I've been saying I'll clean these up since everything went into the ground. worst case, my punishment involves a 'switch' and as we all know, if it ain't yer mum or dad with the switch in their hand, you're likely in for a good time.

Attachments

• 20220713_164035.jpg
    20220713_164035.jpg
    865.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

I had her sit behind me as I labeled things. Just in case. It was not basil on the bottom right as I had said (I must have misheard her the first time).

Attachments

• labeled-haul.jpg
    labeled-haul.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 12
Cherry toms also, garden candy!
I always plant cherry tomatoes and or grape tomatoes. Last year I had 5 grape and 3 cherry tomato plants and was picking a colander full every day for over a month. They are indeterminate plants and very prolific. They'll grow ten feet high if you can support them.

We still have gallon freezer bags of them in the freezer. They make a great sweet spaghetti sauce.

This year I only put in 1 cherry tomato plant and still getting dozens of tomatoes from it. Sweet as candy!

I always plant cherry tomatoes and or grape tomatoes. Last year I had 5 grape and 3 cherry tomato plants and was picking a colander full every day for over a month. They are indeterminate plants and very prolific. They'll grow ten feet high if you can support them.

We still have gallon freezer bags of them in the freezer. They make a great sweet spaghetti sauce.

This year I only put in 1 cherry tomato plant and still getting dozens of tomatoes from it. Sweet as candy!

You're getting red maters already? Dang. Mine are just this purplish color...

Attachments

• 20220713_193458.jpg
    20220713_193458.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 14
Pulled 2.5 pounds of Red Norland and Yukon Gold potatoes to test their development stage this early evening.
Norland's (aka red bliss) are ready to go, about the size of a racquetball and I will start pulling them this weekend.
Going by the test area size (about a half-square foot) I expect about 80 pounds of the reds.
Yukon's are about the size of a tennis ball and I will let them go another 2-2.5 weeks. Expecting about a 100 pounds
of Yukon Golds. Won't know for sure until all are pulled and weighed...

I've been eating sweet cherry and grape tomatoes for a little more than a week and some smaller beefsteaks.
Also, Golden Zucc's, Green Zucc's, Crookneck and Straightneck squash...

Great Summer so far!

I see interveinal yellowing on your leaves and the purple on the tomatoes indicates a nutrient deficiency. Fertilizer them with a PK Fertilizer that also contains magnesium.

They are black strawberry tomatoes, supposed to be that color. I'm surprised @enbloc hasn't bribed one of the mods for my IP so he could track down my home address to lay in wait for them to fully ripen.

Back
Top Bottom