• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

Originally purchased I believe. I get a lot through trades though. I’ve grown them for years. My son loved them.
I save seeds every year.

These were bought on a whim to see if I could get my daughter to help more in the garden.

So far, we got her to help start the seeds. I don't think she's been over the fence once since they've been in the ground. Oh well, I'm sure she'll find them tasty.

These were bought on a whim to see if I could get my daughter to help more in the garden.

So far, we got her to help start the seeds. I don't think she's been over the fence once since they've been in the ground. Oh well, I'm sure she'll find them tasty.
Yeah, My children were into the garden until about junior high school, and then they realized gardening is WORK, and then interest started to wane.

What are you doing in that grow tent when not growing tomatoes.... I know what you're up to brotato...

The leaves aren't supposed to be yellowing bro...

On second thought, after perusing all 21 pages of this thread and not seeing anything positive from you, I'll choose to ignore your input.

Good day, kind sir.

The purple mentioned as a deficiency and indication of an issue, that's OK though?
Purpling is a sign of potassium deficiency. But as you mentioned, the tomatoes are supposed to be that color based on their genetics. So we pass over that. Now looking at the leaves, we see yellowing. That is not normal or healthy. If the yellowing is happening on old growth and is the entire leaf, it's an N deficiency. If it's in new growth and is between the vanes of the leaf, like your case, it's most likely magnesium.

You don't have to take my word for it. Google it. Then enjoy a little crow with those tomatoes. Or be fine with smaller yields and a plant susceptible to disease. Do your own thing.

...and if you don't think trying to help you do better is a positive thing, then feel free to add me to your ignore list brotato.

Purpling is a sign of potassium deficiency. But as you mentioned, the tomatoes are supposed to be that color based on their genetics. So we pass over that. Now looking at the leaves, we see yellowing. That is not normal or healthy. If the yellowing is happening on old growth and is the entire leaf, it's an N deficiency. If it's in new growth and is between the vanes of the leaf, like your case, it's most likely magnesium.

You don't have to take my word for it. Google it. Then enjoy a little crow with those tomatoes. Or be fine with smaller yields and a plant susceptible to disease. Do your own thing.

...and if you don't think trying to help you do better is a positive thing, then feel free to add me to your ignore list brotato.
It could just be blight. I usually prune up the plant as the season progresses and that keeps the plant going until end of season.

I've always loved the looks of veronica. But like @FunnerGunner never had a huge amount of luck growing it (or any similar brassicas, like broccoli or standard cauliflower). For some reason, that handful of plants did well. Keep in mind, we have drip irrigation in the garden. I suspect that makes a big difference.

Honestly, I almost abandoned the idea of growing it again, cuz I tried a bit (raw), and it tasted like... wheatgrass juice. And I am actually a big fan of wheatgrass juice. But not in my cauliflower. So the original verdict was: Looks interesting but meh.

Harvested, steamed, bit of butter. Awesome. So mayhaps they'll be tried again.

Still getting daily cucumber grabs with a bunch that are going to be ready by end of the weekend.

Nadapeno peppers are looking good. I tried to find the regular jalapeno plant and looks like I forgot to mark it. I know we've got one in there so I'll have to remember to taste and mark the plants after first harvest.

Attachments

• 20220715_172730.jpg
    20220715_172730.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220715_172514.jpg
    20220715_172514.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 5
I’m trying carrots in a pot this season for my first time. Scarlet Nantes, I sowed directly June 1, looking to start another pot early-mid August. Any advise?
Honestly, my carrots have never been this successful. I pulled a couple more yesterday and they were huge. My garden in general has never been so successful. Everything except my eggplants are doing about as well as they can be. I top dressed the whole garden with a few inches of my compost which was primarily leaves and straw that was loaded with chicken manure. Then tilled that in and built up the beds. Carrots got no additional fertilizer. Since I have had basically no rain and I water with drip irrigation my soil has staid nice and loose which definitely helps - especially the root veggies. I also have lots and lots of sun here. Other than that it’s just been regular watering, faith, and love.

Honestly, my carrots have never been this successful. I pulled a couple more yesterday and they were huge. My garden in general has never been so successful. Everything except my eggplants are doing about as well as they can be. I top dressed the whole garden with a few inches of my compost which was primarily leaves and straw that was loaded with chicken manure. Then tilled that in and built up the beds. Carrots got no additional fertilizer. Since I have had basically no rain and I water with drip irrigation my soil has staid nice and loose which definitely helps - especially the root veggies. I also have lots and lots of sun here. Other than that it’s just been regular watering, faith, and love.

I've often thought about doing carrots. Our garden / yard has broken glass in the soil, any potential issues with that? Would hate to have one of the kids bite into a carrot that grew around a small piece of glass...

May just go the 5gal bucket route. Just didn't want to have to buy more potting soil this year.

I've often thought about doing carrots. Our garden / yard has broken glass in the soil, any potential issues with that? Would hate to have one of the kids bite into a carrot that grew around a small piece of glass...

May just go the 5gal bucket route. Just didn't want to have to buy more potting soil this year.
Mine are in a 5 gal grow bag. They look good so far, although this is my first year growing carrots

Interesting question. My guess would be that you would be fine - but that is a bit of a guess. I would think if a carrot would envelop a piece of glass it would also envelop little pebbles that are in any soil. Or dirt for that matter. Maybe something could get stuck to the outside - but it should be noticeable - especially when peeled. But that is just my guess. Nothing wrong with doing it in a pot. Home grown carrots are delicious. Especially when you harvest them after the first frost.

Interesting question. My guess would be that you would be fine - but that is a bit of a guess. I would think if a carrot would envelop a piece of glass it would also envelop little pebbles that are in any soil. Or dirt for that matter. Maybe something could get stuck to the outside - but it should be noticeable - especially when peeled. But that is just my guess. Nothing wrong with doing it in a pot. Home grown carrots are delicious. Especially when you harvest them after the first frost.
I’m going to start another grow bag soon to be aligned with the first frost expected date. The Scarlet Nantes seeds I have show
a maturity of 65 days. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom