Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

So - with the .05" of rain last night, I'm looking for inputs from the experts - what have I missed?

-I've gathered a tail feather from a hawk
-Charred the bark of a native tree and muddled with native berries for face paint
-Fashioned a beaver skin tambourine with acorn danglers (hopefully a standard Vic Firth 2b will work)
-I didn't have any rabbit skin leggings but, I do have my slippers (which are wool) and a pain of hiking gaiters - hope that's ok?
-Not sure how to do the chant dance but, looking down, then up seems to be common
-Ripped this for the bluetooth speaker

Dang, we got just under an inch. Not as much as I would have liked but still enough for the day.

So - with the .05" of rain last night, I'm looking for inputs from the experts - what have I missed?

-I've gathered a tail feather from a hawk
-Charred the bark of a native tree and muddled with native berries for face paint
-Fashioned a beaver skin tambourine with acorn danglers (hopefully a standard Vic Firth 2b will work)
-I didn't have any rabbit skin leggings but, I do have my slippers (which are wool) and a pain of hiking gaiters - hope that's ok?
-Not sure how to do the chant dance but, looking down, then up seems to be common
-Ripped this for the bluetooth speaker

Plan a BBQ and invite more people than can possibly fit in your house?

Cucumber plants are slowing down and fruit is starting to curl. Wife will be starting new plants this weekend. A little late, though if our harvest thus far is any indication it will be plenty.

Maters are starting to ripen. Been getting three to six black strawberry a day, a few yellow gooseberry every couple days. Larger maters are slowly starting to come in.

Attachments

• Resized_20220729_201626.jpeg
    Resized_20220729_201626.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 4
A mix of smaller maters and peppers from the other day. Kids have been snacking right from the bowl. I was hoping they would pull right from the plant, they had other plans (that did not include going into the garden).

Attachments

• 20220727_152652.jpg
    20220727_152652.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 6
Pickled eggs?

That's a whole other thread.

Been working through some issues in the garden. With the wind and intermittent rain, we had several stakes fall over due to mater weight.

Pulled a paracord ridge line (thanks to whomever mentioned paracord a number of posts ago) and started tying up prusik knots to attach the posts. Managed to get my son out there tonight to "help with my knots." We've got quite a few mater plants that are about ready to crush my pepper plants.

Sucks to have so many tomatoes!!

I'm disappointed in my sunflowers - the seed packet said "Mammoth" sunflowers and they are supposed to be 12'-15' high -- pictured below is the result -- did I get ripped off or is my soil just crappy ?

1659273281165.jpeg

What fertilizer? Compost? 8 hours full sun?
I used to get results like that, but then the critters got to the sunflowers and would chomp them down before they ever had a chance to get started. Then I stopped trying sunflowers for several years and now my mammoth sunflowers turned out to be dwarf sunflowers [laugh]

I'm disappointed in my sunflowers - the seed packet said "Mammoth" sunflowers and they are supposed to be 12'-15' high -- pictured below is the result -- did I get ripped off or is my soil just crappy ?

2325039.jpg

[grin]

We haven't grown them in a long time, but I remember one summer some years back we had monsters.

P9010011.JPG

I bought a $32 pack of 6000 sunflower seeds. I threw them into a meadow by my house and got about 1-2 dozen 6 ft tall plants growing now. It was kind of a half-assed attempt. I've had better luck with lupines.

I was sitting out on the edge of my garden the other night sudden this weird thing was pollinating and I didn't know what it was. Apparently it's called a hummingbird moth?? How did I get to age 50 without ever knowing they existed??
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puTy8flcQMY

20220725_201909.jpg

Most of the time, it's just this guy every night at sundown or turkeys

20220730_203526.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom