Better Be Planting This Year. 2022+ And Up MEGATHREAD

Wait, the fruit or the leaves?
The worms will eat both.....and the stems.
I've dealt with these worms for decades, those are not rabbit turds on the ground. Rabbit turds are smooth, round and somewhat shiny. Worm turds look more like an immature small blackberry which is segmented.

Also, a rabbit couldn't get its ass into the middle of the plant/cage to deposit turds, they were dropped from above by the worm's crawling on the stems of the plant.

Tomato worm....see all those black poop pellets? They're from one of these.View attachment 647951

If you see one with white cocoons on it's back, it has been visited by a parasitic wasp that lays its eggs on the worm and they eventually kill it.View attachment 647954
Thanks. Have seen those nasty caterpillars in previous years but none this year. Have to look again.

I've dealt with these worms for decades, those are not rabbit turds on the ground. Rabbit turds are smooth, round and somewhat shiny. Worm turds look more like an immature small blackberry which is segmented.

Also, a rabbit couldn't get its ass into the middle of the plant/cage to deposit turds, they were dropped from above by the worm's crawling on the stems of the plant.
Update. Wife just found 2 of them. They were huge and the chickens were very excited to have them. 😂

I’m familiar with the worms. I’ve been professionally growing for almost forty years.
It wasn’t clear when I read it as to whether it was just the tomatoes.

I disagree that a rabbit can’t fit through that cage though.

I’m familiar with the worms. I’ve been professionally growing for almost forty years.
It wasn’t clear when I read it as to whether it was just the tomatoes.

I disagree that a rabbit can’t fit through that cage though.
Look where the worm turds are. Right at the multiple leader base of the plant.

Look at shape of the worm turds. Segmented

Rabbits don't turn around and face away from their food supply. They face it and remain facing it while eating, sometimes for a half hour or so. I've been watching 2 dozen wild rabbits eating here for the past four months. They remain quite motionless while eating so as to not attract attention to themselves. They grab some grass or clover and chew it up, not moving around at all. The only thing moving is their jaw.

Update. Wife just found 2 of them. They were huge and the chickens were very excited to have them. 😂
Overnight update. Caught a rat, I think, on the cam last night. Pointy nose and beady eyes. It was a short video so I can’t post here. Gonna reset the trap today as the heavy rain last triggered it before he showed up.

Overnight update. Caught a rat, I think, on the cam last night. Pointy nose and beady eyes. It was a short video so I can’t post here. Gonna reset the trap today as the heavy rain last triggered it before he showed up.

I thought we had rats eating in the garden. It turned they were possum. It looked just like a rat at night.

Just a few maters tonight.

This heat and lack of rain is really hampering things. Smaller harvest than expected.
Yes, my container garden has been failing. Two Zucchini and one yellow squash gone, two cukes dead. Cherry tomatoes and
big boys are doing well at least. I’m bummed, this has never happened to me before. I’ve been watering consistently and plants are drying up in their pots. Is there anything can I start this late?

That’s still a lot of tomatoes. What are you going to do with them?

Sauce base and salsa. WB can it mostly in pint jars with a few quarts tossed in for larger meals. We do not typically add seasoning to the canned sauce to make it more versatile.

Last year we had enough sauce base to make it through to April without buying anything from the store. We use the sauce for whatever may need sauce. Pizza, pasta, lasagna, and I'm sure a few other dishes my wife makes that I'm not thinking of at this time. We probably use about two pints a week of sauce. First year doing salsa and we already used one of those for dinner tonight.

We put up seven pints of sauce last night. Well, yesterday as I started simmering early in the day.

Sauce base and salsa. WB can it mostly in pint jars with a few quarts tossed in for larger meals. We do not typically add seasoning to the canned sauce to make it more versatile.

Last year we had enough sauce base to make it through to April without buying anything from the store. We use the sauce for whatever may need sauce. Pizza, pasta, lasagna, and I'm sure a few other dishes my wife makes that I'm not thinking of at this time. We probably use about two pints a week of sauce. First year doing salsa and we already used one of those for dinner tonight.

We put up seven pints of sauce last night. Well, yesterday as I started simmering early in the day.

Forgot to mention. We've got a few smaller mater plants, black strawberry, yellow gooseberry, and german lunchbox. You can see some of them in the bottom and middle of the flat. Those are put into a bowl on the table for snacking. Keeping the bowl somewhat filled with the munchkins in the house is tough but we make do.

Yes, my container garden has been failing. Two Zucchini and one yellow squash gone, two cukes dead. Cherry tomatoes and
big boys are doing well at least. I’m bummed, this has never happened to me before. I’ve been watering consistently and plants are drying up in their pots. Is there anything can I start this late?
  • Lettuce and other types of greens (mustard/swiss chard/kale).
  • Maybe beans or peas.
  • Radish carrot turnip
  • sprouting broc, collards
  • garlic

Not sure if it is fully relevant as we are not doing buckets this year.

Wife started kale, snow peas, and cucumbers inside 'bout a week and a half ago. She'll be pulling out the existing plants once these are ready for transplant. Already started yanking cucumber plants.

I believe she will be putting some potatoes in buckets as well. We did three buckets of taters this year. First bucket was a mix of small and medium. We left the last two a bit longer and this was the result.

/ETA pictures didn't upload. trying again. one seed tater per bucket.

Attachments

• 298259987_10220514595031789_5069684375981768154_n.jpg
    298259987_10220514595031789_5069684375981768154_n.jpg
    781.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 298108470_10220514594751782_9080730103717969176_n.jpg
    298108470_10220514594751782_9080730103717969176_n.jpg
    680.2 KB · Views: 6
I started beans last week and a cucumber plant. Both popped up quickly and beans can be transferred to the garden.
Lettuce and bok choy and other greens have been sown. I'm going to try a second planting of cabbage and more peas. All going in the new raised section that can be covered with plastic to hopefully extend the season,

I started purple top turnips, beets, daikon radish and spinach (2nd sowing this year.) All are doing very well, except the spinach has begun to bolt so I will be harvesting and trying for a third sow for "baby" spinach. Possibly when this heat wave breaks. Any leafy greens are good because you are not waiting for fruit or tubers, just edible leaves. This is good for "cut & come again" gardening...

Good luck and Happy Planting!
~Matt

Last edited:
I'll also add:

Dwarf Grey Sugar Snap Peas do well in containers and come to edible fruit in about 50 days if you like "flats" a few weeks longer if you want puffy pods...
A continuous small harvest works best for me and keeps producing flowers (as long as the bees are interested...)
1660094083481.png
not my photo...

I'll also add:

Dwarf Grey Sugar Snap Peas do well in containers and come to edible fruit in about 50 days if you like "flats" a few weeks longer if you want puffy pods...
A continuous small harvest works best for me and keeps producing flowers (as long as the bees are interested...)
View attachment 648496
not my photo...

I was all like NICE! then I saw, again, your little 'not my photo' disclaimer.

No shame in showing plants that aren't 'perfect'. Hell, I'll go out right now and get a snap of my black strawberry that aren't supposed to be doing well because the leaves indicate they are under-nourished. That should git yer engine warmed up!

I was all like NICE! then I saw, again, your little 'not my photo' disclaimer.

No shame in showing plants that aren't 'perfect'. Hell, I'll go out right now and get a snap of my black strawberry that aren't supposed to be doing well because the leaves indicate they are under-nourished. That should git yer engine warmed up!
I don't own a camera anymore... Been about 5 (or more) years since I posted my own photos. I only have My honor, and the kind souls who know me...

I do love looking at the photos that others post though...

Back
Top Bottom