• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BEWARE: GunBroker Phishing Attempt - I fell for it!

Reptile

NES Member
I was doing something on GB a few minutes before the email came.

Otherwise I would have been more cautious of this fake email.

They said something changed on my account and to log in.

I clicked on the link and began typing my user name and password...

Luckily I did not click login but they still could have captured the info.

I used some traffic analysis to determine if they logged by key strokes after but I am not sure.

Realizing I was spoofed - I went to the real GB website and changed my password immediatly.
The original was a bit outdated and the new one is much more secure.

I can't believe I could have been so stupid. The email had an obviously fake email return address and other tells.

Since only one minute had past, I doubt they got in - especially since I never fully entered my login on the fake site.

So, all they have is my IP. Since I have a Mac - no malware was downloaded.

I am up on all the spoofing techniques but the timing was very lucky on their part since I was just doing something on GB.

It's like when you never answer a robocall unless you were expecting a call that moment and picked up.

In hindsight the fake website is full of flaws.

I wonder what the phishers are going to do with all their log in data that could be obtained from careless GB users.

Are they trying to get guns, payments, or what?

This would be a great way to highjack an account with lots of good feedback and run a scam to get paid with Paypal.

Lesson learned...

Always verify the source of such and email and keep in mind any such email is a scam.

Always check out the properties of the email address you are sent. That tells the tale.

I get spam offfers like this one for a credit card and banks like Wells Fargo all the time. I have never known a bank to use the masteryourlifegoals.com domain ;):

Avant Credit Card <[email protected]>

Last edited:
If you use that password anywhere else, make sure you change it there too.

I doubt they’re trying to get guns, unless you’re an FFL and your account gives them a higher status than a regular user. Likely trying to get to your payment info or apply your credentials to banking, PayPal, etc.

Never log in through an email. Just go directly to the website.
I tell people that all the time.

I was not thinking for just one moment and was stupid.
If you use that password anywhere else, make sure you change it there too.

I doubt they’re trying to get guns, unless you’re an FFL and your account gives them a higher status than a regular user. Likely trying to get to your payment info or apply your credentials to banking, PayPal, etc.
Great advice!

I never reuse passwords, though.

Maybe that is the scam.

Gather email addresses and hunt for reused passwords.

Great advice!

I never reuse passwords, though.

Maybe that is the scam.

Gather email addresses and hunt for reused passwords.
You’d be surprised! You’re probably in the minority of users who don’t reuse passwords. As complexity requirements have gotten more difficult (longer, special characters, etc.), they’re harder to remember so people reuse them. Users also don’t leverage 2FA which is another layer to protect your critical accounts in the event your password is compromised.

If the attacker is lucky and that stolen password is also your email password, they pretty much own all your accounts (since they can trigger and answer the reset password emails).

I recently got a USPS letter from my CC company about an overdue payment. It looked 100% legit, right down to the envelope which I compared to a recent statement. The referenced account was not one I knew of. I called, not from the # given in the letter but the one off the back of my card and it was a scam, the loss lady said they happen all the time. The balance due was <$110, she said if you get 1000 people to pay because the amount is so small and people worry about their credit rating. Who knew?

You can tell if they captured keystrokes by "view source", or open Dev Tools and use inspect element on the field. That would reveal if they had any event handler for keystrokes. Odds are it is a dumb form that does nothing until you submit it.

They are on to me!!!

Somebody used my email to sign up for a bit coin dealer.
I went to the original website of said dealer and the email was real to verify.
I did not click on verify.
It was not me though who tried to sign up.
They closed the potential account.
I'm hoping to get info from the company as to any other personal info they may have used.

My email is secure and all logins have my own IP.
I also have 2 factor.

THEN:
I get a real good looking email from an iMac purchase from Amazon.
It was from AOL! Supposedly...

The phone number to contact was googled and it is a telemarketer.

I pretty smart now most of the time but these guys are getting better!

No wonder people get scammed so easily!

It's a jungle out there!

I gotta get on Apples new email program.
They have all sorts of innovative features to use throw away email address or special email addresses for a single use.

That's funny I just got one from paypal today, telling me that my account was
closed and to log in to correct it.Like stated I never reply threw the email they send me.

A good portion of my emails are scams like that.
My secondary email has been great I accidentally used it to log out of something and now it’s just all junk mail.
I really want abandon my first account….It’s probably register with like 300 different companies that I’ll be locked out from because when you order something years later from the same place you’re likely not gonna remember your password unless they are all the same. If you can’t do that anymore. I’m pretty sure it was Amazon that was compromised a while back and I had to change all my passwords…Would have been impossible if I didn’t have my original email

I got one on Wednesday that looked like it was legit from SiriusXM. It used the correct email for that account. The email was for a ticket giveaway contest. Looked totally legit, so I clicked the link and the Brave browser prevented the connection to their phishing site. Also was on my phone, not a PC. (I make up ridiculously complex, unique passwords for everything. Drives my wife up a wall LOL.)

Apparently someone has SiriusXM's email database, but not the passwords.

I then went to to SiriusXM's website. No such contest.

Tip of the ol' chapeau to the Brave team.

The latest script for LifeLock ads on the Adam and Dr. Drew podcast include,
"ever have someone call you and say they're gonna shut off your electricity
in an hour if you don't pay your overdue bill by reading credit card numbers over the phone?"

I'm all like, "wish they'd do that to me".
"OK; I just set a 60 minute alarm on my phone,
and I'll be waiting for your guys in my driveway".

The latest script for LifeLock ads on the Adam and Dr. Drew podcast include,
"ever have someone call you and say they're gonna shut off your electricity
in an hour if you don't pay your overdue bill by reading credit card numbers over the phone?"

I'm all like, "wish they'd do that to me".
"OK; I just set a 60 minute alarm on my phone,
and I'll be waiting for your guys in my driveway".
The meter will be shut off from the central office.

I got one on Wednesday that looked like it was legit from SiriusXM. It used the correct email for that account. The email was for a ticket giveaway contest. Looked totally legit, so I clicked the link and the Brave browser prevented the connection to their phishing site. Also was on my phone, not a PC. (I make up ridiculously complex, unique passwords for everything. Drives my wife up a wall LOL.)

Apparently someone has SiriusXM's email database, but not the passwords.

I then went to to SiriusXM's website. No such contest.

Tip of the ol' chapeau to the Brave team.
I got the same email. Didn't open because I just didn't care. Are you sure it's spam? I got mine yesterday too

Back
Top Bottom