• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beware price gouging dealers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week Ipurchased a rock river arms LAR-15 from Pheasant ridge guns in Seekonk MA ,Paidfor it in full and did the paperwork and he told me there was a random hold onit and I could pick it up in a week, ok no problem I said. I called him today aweek later and he said that they lost the paperwork and the rifle was sold tosomeone else and I can come in and get a refund. This was obviously a bunch ofbull crap. What they did was screw me so he could make a few bucks more offsomeone else for the same rifle. In all the years I have been buying guns Ihave never seen anything like this. They could care less about you or me, thisplace is a joke and maybe the ATF should go there and see what other paperworkis missing! I am a 6 year Army veteran and I feel like these guys raped me fora buck.

Boycott Pheasant ridge guns so they can find out that the customer is what’scounts not their greed and price gouging.

If that's exactly how it went down, that would make my blood boil.

Welcome to NES by the way. Why'd it take you a year to put up your first post?

Oh and thank you for your service.

Last edited:
I like to lookat the classifieds mostly.
I felt like I had to say something because my bloodis boiling!!

Thanks

If he lost the paperwork then how did he know you paid for it... Sneaky mother ****ers! I'd be PISSSSSSSED!

If you paid in full and have a receipt, That constitutes a contract. Take them to small claims and sue under Ma law ch 93-a.

You should contact the ATF and let the store know that you are contacting the ATF... If the store had you fill out a 4473 and called it in and you got a delay from ATF and now you cannot collect the rifle - the government still thinks you purchased a firearm..... Something does not sound right......

I will never go back to that place. I was in there a few weeks ago looking for a used shotgun, their website showed a couple of used 870 wingmasters. When I went in and asked about them the guy told me they were "somewhere in the pile out back" I said ok, can I take a look at them? he proceeds to tell me he's not going to go "dig it out" unless I'm definitely going to buy it. I told him I wasn't going to commit to something I hadn't even seen. So he tells me "well i'm not wasting my time looking for it then" and sits back down behind the counter.

Last edited:
If you want to have some fun, file a small claims action and file for discovery of the sales paperwork for the person to whom the actual gun was sold (hopefully, you have a serial number). If you can show it was sold for more, and a contract of sale existed (easy, considering you paid in full), you can show actual damages. You may be able to show actual damages simply by proving the gun increased in value since you paid for it, however, it's a slam-dunk if they sold it someone else for more.

Be sure the application to subpoena the business records for the transaction makes it clear you need the information to identify a witness you plan on calling in the case, as you will want to question the actual buyer under oath to see (a) what (s)he paid, and (b) if there were any comments made by the dealer that suggests (s)he knew the gun was on hold for someone else.

One caution - after all of this, there is the possibility you will find the gun was sold for the same price and it was indeed an innocent mistake.

Also, send the dealer a certified demand notice stating that you require him/her to make you "whole", and that in order to do so, you must be compensated fair market value for the asset that has appreciated considerably since you paid in full for it. Courts tend to like it when you have tried to resolve the dispute prior to trial; created a paper trail; and documented exactly what it is you are asking for.

I'm not certain, however, on the extent to which discovery and subpoenaing of witnesses may be done in small claims cases.

I think this kind of market shows the true colors of any dealer. And I think we should all take careful note and avoid these guys like the plague. There are enough decent dealers around who really do give a crap about customer service out there. When things get back to normal, things will get lean for the sleazy guys and maybe they'll learn that customer service has a value that can't be replaced by bouts of panic buying.

You should contact the ATF and let the store know that you are contacting the ATF... If the store had you fill out a 4473 and called it in and you got a delay from ATF and now you cannot collect the rifle - the government still thinks you purchased a firearm..... Something does not sound right......

This !

If you want to have some fun, file a small claims action and file for discovery of the sales paperwork for the person to whom the actual gun was sold (hopefully, you have a serial number). If you can show it was sold for more, and a contract of sale existed (easy, considering you paid in full), you can show actual damages. You may be able to show actual damages simply by proving the gun increased in value since you paid for it, however, it's a slam-dunk if they sold it someone else for more.

Be sure the application to subpoena the business records for the transaction makes it clear you need the information to identify a witness you plan on calling in the case, as you will want to question the actual buyer under oath to see (a) what (s)he paid, and (b) if there were any comments made by the dealer that suggests (s)he knew the gun was on hold for someone else.

One caution - after all of this, there is the possibility you will find the gun was sold for the same price and it was indeed an innocent mistake.

Also, send the dealer a certified demand notice stating that you require him/her to make you "whole", and that in order to do so, you must be compensated fair market value for the asset that has appreciated considerably since you paid in full for it. Courts tend to like it when you have tried to resolve the dispute prior to trial; created a paper trail; and documented exactly what it is you are asking for.

I'm not certain, however, on the extent to which discovery and subpoenaing of witnesses may be done in small claims cases.

If you have the inclination, Robs suggestion seems like a good way to go.

Yeah I don't think they have an ffl to actually make money just has one so he can store his personal collection there and buy anything he wants... That place is beyond shady....

Does it get more interesting if he logged it as sold, then logged it back in and then resold?

At that point, maybe he has an issue with the ATF not delivering the sold item.
A possible issue w/ ATF that he may have destroyed the 4473.

then a potential issue with the current owner for misrepresenting the (previously sold/ owned) gun as new, possible fraud?

This !

If you have the inclination, Robs suggestion seems like a good way to go.

DO IT! It would certainly put a smile on my face. I had a revolver transferred to me there and he made me pay sales tax which I did not like (not a huge deal to be)...but he also made me buy one of his trigger locks even though I had one. He would not provide a receipt for what I paid in tax and was generally a dick. When I got home I realized I was given no paperwork whatsoever...no copies of the transfer forms.

Not only do courts like it when you try to settle, under Chapter 93A (someone mentioned earlier - Massachusetts Consumer Protection Laws), if you send a complaint demand letter and they still make you sue, you are entitled to double or treble (triple) damages.

what Rob said, take them to court and demand damages for the difference in market value. I'm sorry for the pain, bro, that's a shitty way of doing business.

If you need a good lawyer I know one that specializes in 93-a. If you need info let me know.

If you 'did the paperwork' that gun is yours. What paperwork do you have in hand?
What was the random hold all about? If they call in the background check don't they describe the gun?
I'm thinking you need to call them and let them know you intend to call the BATFE.

If you fully paid, and were just waiting authorization for the transfer, you could also present an argument that you held beneficial title and the relationship with the shop constituted a bailment.

If he lost all the paperwork on it, you should have told him that you bought it for $2000 and demanded a full refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom