• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Big E" Gun show/Gimme a break!

Ssdd. Saw fat camo twins. Probably taking a break from the role play games " magic missle magic missle" to set up for a real live airsoft skirmish.
If you go to the show with low expectations you won't be disappointed. But it does beat sitting around the house .
Guys from Remsport took good care of me. Thanks

i saw those two fat guys last time i was there. they were all into buying airsoft. i died laughing when i saw them

Was this one of them?

warrior888888.jpg

[laugh] [rofl] [laugh2]

I actually baught a handgun there 2 yrs. back on a Sat. Monday when i got home from work the dealer i bought it from was waiting at my front door to return my money and take back possesion of the gun because it wasnt Mass Comp. He drove from New York for this.

You know that you're not required to return non-compliant handguns that were sold to you in this state, right? Unless it was a post AWB AR-pistol it's optional for you to return it.

Nice. Isn't it a felony to be in possession of post-ban hi-caps in MA. Doesn't matter if you live somewhere else.

Yup. It's a felony unless they have an LTC (resident or non-resident).

MGL 269-10m:

(m) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) or (h), any person not exempted by statute who knowingly has in his possession, or knowingly has under his control in a vehicle, a large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device therefor who does not possess a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms issued under section 131 or 131F of chapter 140, except as permitted or otherwise provided under this section or chapter 140, shall be punished by imprisonment in a state prison for not less than two and one-half years nor more than ten years. The possession of a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B shall not be a defense for a violation of this subsection; provided, however, that any such person charged with violating this paragraph and holding a valid firearm identification card shall not be subject to any mandatory minimum sentence imposed by this paragraph. The sentence imposed upon such person shall not be reduced to less than one year, nor suspended, nor shall any person convicted under this subsection be eligible for probation, parole, furlough, work release or receive any deduction from his sentence for good conduct until he shall have served such minimum term of such sentence; provided, however, that the commissioner of correction may, on the recommendation of the warden, superintendent or other person in charge of a correctional institution or the administrator of a county correctional institution, grant to such offender a temporary release in the custody of an officer of such institution for the following purposes only: (i) to attend the funeral of a spouse or next of kin; (ii) to visit a critically ill close relative or spouse; or (iii) to obtain emergency medical services unavailable at such institution. Prosecutions commenced under this subsection shall neither be continued without a finding nor placed on file. The provisions of section 87 of chapter 276 relative to the power of the court to place certain offenders on probation shall not apply to any person 17 years of age or over charged with a violation of this section.

The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to the possession of a large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device by (i) any officer, agent or employee of the commonwealth or any other state or the United States, including any federal, state or local law enforcement personnel; (ii) any member of the military or other service of any state or the United States; (iii) any duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of any municipality of the commonwealth; (iv) any federal, state or local historical society, museum or institutional collection open to the public; provided, however, that any such person described in clauses (i) to (iii), inclusive, is authorized by a competent authority to acquire, possess or carry a large capacity semiautomatic weapon and is acting within the scope of his duties; or (v) any gunsmith duly licensed under the applicable federal law.

Sounds like hanging out with Kim was the best reason for going to the Big E this weekend [smile]

No way - everyone knows that anyone off the street can buy any gun they want at a gun show; there's a giant billboard at Fenway Park that says so. “We Sell Guns! No ID. No Background Check Required. Criminals and Terrorists Welcome!” [rolleyes]

[laugh2] At least I read all the posts before I made the same comment.

On halloween I went to Boston with a carload of my liberal friends...we drove past that billboard , and I tried to explain that it is completely false, and how FTF transfers actually work. It fell on deaf ears though[sad2].

Soo if a dealer from out of state sells me a non mass comp. handgun then relizes he made the mistake i dont have to return it? Wouldnt the BATF figure out this was an illegal sale when they checked his books? Or is that not how it works at all?

Soo if a dealer from out of state sells me a non mass comp. handgun then relizes he made the mistake i dont have to return it? Wouldnt the BATF figure out this was an illegal sale when they checked his books? Or is that not how it works at all?

An out of state dealer wouldn't be able to do it legally without involving an MA based FFL. The handgun compliance stuff isn't relevant to that part of the transaction, that's federal law.

-Mike

(m) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) or (h), any person not exempted by statute who knowingly has in his possession, or knowingly has under his control in a vehicle, a large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device therefor who does not possess a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms issued under section 131 or 131F of chapter 140, except as permitted or otherwise provided under this section or chapter 140, shall be punished by imprisonment in a state prison for not less than two and one-half years nor more than ten years. The possession of a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B shall not be a defense for a violation of this subsection; provided, however, that any such person charged with violating this paragraph and holding a valid firearm identification card shall not be subject to any mandatory minimum sentence imposed by this paragraph. The sentence imposed upon such person shall not be reduced to less than one year, nor suspended, nor shall any person convicted under this subsection be eligible for probation, parole, furlough, work release or receive any deduction from his sentence for good conduct until he shall have served such minimum term of such sentence; provided, however, that the commissioner of correction may, on the recommendation of the warden, superintendent or other person in charge of a correctional institution or the administrator of a county correctional institution, grant to such offender a temporary release in the custody of an officer of such institution for the following purposes only: (i) to attend the funeral of a spouse or next of kin; (ii) to visit a critically ill close relative or spouse; or (iii) to obtain emergency medical services unavailable at such institution. Prosecutions commenced under this subsection shall neither be continued without a finding nor placed on file. The provisions of section 87 of chapter 276 relative to the power of the court to place certain offenders on probation shall not apply to any person 17 years of age or over charged with a violation of this section.

The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to the possession of a large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device by (i) any officer, agent or employee of the commonwealth or any other state or the United States, including any federal, state or local law enforcement personnel; (ii) any member of the military or other service of any state or the United States; (iii) any duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of any municipality of the commonwealth; (iv) any federal, state or local historical society, museum or institutional collection open to the public; provided, however, that any such person described in clauses (i) to (iii), inclusive, is authorized by a competent authority to acquire, possess or carry a large capacity semiautomatic weapon and is acting within the scope of his duties; or (v) any gunsmith duly licensed under the applicable federal law.

WHOA! minimum of 2 1/2 years in prison (or minimum of 1 year if you have an FID) for posessing a box with a spring that holds more than 10 rounds.[shocked]

That dealer better know about this.

I didn't appreciate the people with the white crossed hammers and HA support clothing on there. There was just a few, but it sticks out in mind. Very disappointing.

Probably a dumb question. But other than Pink Floyd, I don't know what the hammers thing is. Or what HA refers to. Is this an allusion to the overwhelming ammount of nazi stuff at shows?

And not to thread jack too much. The over abundance of stuff like this at these shows does us no favors. A news camera doing a spot showing hitler youth knives, nazi flags and the camo twins makes us look pretty bad to the antis and on the fencers..

Yes! And I was all alone on Sat ..... could have used some company. Although, I had a great volunteer with me on Sunday!

Well... you know where you should have been on Saturday [wink] Then you would've had plenty of company!

You know that you're not required to return non-compliant handguns that were sold to you in this state, right? Unless it was a post AWB AR-pistol it's optional for you to return it.

Yup. It's a felony unless they have an LTC (resident or non-resident).

MGL 269-10m:

NO. It's a felony whether or not they have an LTC to poses a large capacity magazine in the common wealth. Also please note that it says nothing about citizen and while you are here resident or not you are subject to this law. Any lawyers(lawyers only) please correct me if I am reading this wrong.

Chapter 140: Section 131M. Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement.

Taking gas to get there time and parking, entrance fees its not worth it since a decade ago imo

On halloween I went to Boston with a carload of my liberal friends...we drove past that billboard , and I tried to explain that it is completely false, and how FTF transfers actually work. It fell on deaf ears though[sad2].
Liberals believe what they want to believe (think: Fat Al Gore). The truth doesn't matter a hoot.

CLMN

I bought some cheap optics from the Asian guy that's always there.
I did too... and got taken to the freakin' cleaners. [frown] [angry] [crying]
Got home and found out that the box he gave me didn't contain any rings for the scope I bought (yes, they were on the sample). Even worse, I found the same exact scope on-line *with rings* for half of what he charged me *without rings*!!!

A very costly but excellent lesson learned here. I feel so stupid for being screwed that bad that I could scream!!!

Never, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN!!! Others... please learn from my mistake!!!

CLMN

NO. It's a felony whether or not they have an LTC to poses a large capacity magazine in the common wealth. Also please note that it says nothing about citizen and while you are here resident or not you are subject to this law. Any lawyers(lawyers only) please correct me if I am reading this wrong.

You are confused- there are two different laws. There is "LCAFD without a license" and then there is "Possession of post-94 LCAFD" both of which are felonies in
MA.... they are still really separate, however. Actually, it looks like you're getting a whole bunch of crap confused there at once. (eg, possession of a handgun without an LTC, etc. )

-Mike

Last edited:
You are confused- there are two different laws. There is "LCAFD without a license" and then there is "Possession of post-94 LCAFD" both of which are felonies in
MA.... they are still really separate, however. Actually, it looks like you're getting a whole bunch of crap confused there at once. (eg, possession of a handgun without an LTC, etc. )

-Mike

Doesn't look that way to me. The license they are referencing, if you read the section, is a dealer. Please reread what I posted I think you will see what I am getting at. As that section is written it is a felony for any person to posses a hi-cap mag made after 94 in the state unless you are LEO or a dealer.

WHOA! minimum of 2 1/2 years in prison (or minimum of 1 year if you have an FID) for posessing a box with a spring that holds more than 10 rounds.[shocked]

That dealer better know about this.

I was ina a Mass. FFL where they were selling guns with marked post-ban mags in them. I explained MGL 140-131m, to which the clerk replied "No, it's perfectly legal to buy one in a private sale, otherwise how would people who moved into the state with post-ban mags not be breaking the law? [thinking]

Doesn't look that way to me. The license they are referencing, if you read the section, is a dealer. Please reread what I posted I think you will see what I am getting at. As that section is written it is a felony for any person to posses a hi-cap mag made after 94 in the state unless you are LEO or a dealer.

You're right, +1 for catching it. I mis-read what he posted originally and skipped over the "post-ban" part of his post.

It's a felony for anyone in Mass. to posess or sell post-ban high cap mags, resident or non-resident, unless they're an LEO with mags for duty use. It's also a felony for anyone to posess high cap mags without an LTC, resident or non-resident, but they're separate charges.

Any lawyers(lawyers only) please correct me if I am reading this wrong.

I'd correct you, but I'm not a lawyer. Instead, I will agree with drgrant. He is correct. There are two different laws.

C.140 § 131M makes it a felony for anyone except MA dealers (NOT FFLs!), LEO, or retired LEO to possess "large capacity feeding devices" that were not lawfully possessed on 9/13/94. (Notably absent is Military, but good luck prosecuting that case.)

C.269 § 10(m) makes it a felony for anyone without a MA issued LTC (or exemption by statute, such as listed in 10(m), or in 131M) to possess a "large capacity feeding device", regardless of the date of manufacture.

(There are actually more laws on the matter, such as C.140 § 121, 123, 129C, & 131E, and C.269 § 10F)

To the original situation- Yes, it was illegal for the out of state dealer to possess or sell the post-ban large capacity magazines here in MA, and also illegal for the out of state residents to possess them.

I haven't been to this show in years, I liked the guy from Maine who sold smoked jerky and meat sticks. Me and my buddies would eat most of them before we got home. Everytime you breathed in, you smelled like you were in a house fire!

I'd correct you, but I'm not a lawyer. Instead, I will agree with drgrant. He is correct. There are two different laws.

C.140 § 131M makes it a felony for anyone except MA dealers (NOT FFLs!), LEO, or retired LEO to possess "large capacity feeding devices" that were not lawfully possessed on 9/13/94. (Notably absent is Military, but good luck prosecuting that case.)

C.269 § 10(m) makes it a felony for anyone without a MA issued LTC (or exemption by statute, such as listed in 10(m), or in 131M) to possess a "large capacity feeding device", regardless of the date of manufacture.

(There are actually more laws on the matter, such as C.140 § 121, 123, 129C, & 131E, and C.269 § 10F)

To the original situation- Yes, it was illegal for the out of state dealer to possess or sell the post-ban large capacity magazines here in MA, and also illegal for the out of state residents to possess them.

I didn't mean that they weren't different laws I meant it didn't look like I was confused. I know they are two different laws. You just said what I was saying(or at least trying to). I was referring specifically to the part where he said I was referencing possession of a handgun without a license because the section I cited was talking about dealer licenses.
Ok I see the problem. I said it is a felony to posses large capacity mags with or without the LTC-A. When I said that I was referencing GSG post saying that the post-ban mags were legal with an LTC-A. I didn't specifically say post-ban large caps because I was referencing another post. I did however mean post ban high caps. I think the 3 of us are all saying the same thing just misunderstanding each other. 2 laws, post-ban, pre-ban, dealer exempt etc.... Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Saw the same two laimo's there in full camo. I quess that was the entertainment. Bought a bunch of small parts and two mags for the TVI rifle to make it 50 state compliant. Other than that, its not the show it used to be. And there were guys from Mass. trying to buy "pre-ban" mags that weren't preban, but high caps and they didn't know the difference until I explained that they should pass on them. The dates and floor plates, as I explained made the difference. I was glad to save them a lot of money and time in federal prison. Other than that the show is fading away for me. Thanks to state government and our weak politicians. Oh yeh, us too.

There are only 2 worthwhile gun shows to go to in this part of the country. Both have 1200 tables and are sold out with plenty of guns and ammo. They are Harrisburg PA and Valley Forge PA. Anything ekse is a waste of time.

Back
Top Bottom