• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Big Non Sale At Bass Pro

Garys

NES Member
I've been looking for some range fodder and maybe self defense ammunition for my Mossberg MC1sc. I have plenty of 124 and 147, but no 115gr ammunition. Last week I was at Bass Pro and noticed that they were short of many calibers, including 9mm.

Later in the week, I received a flyer from them announcing a big "Second Amendment Sale." I ignored the firearms prices, but looked at the ammo prices. There were some pretty good prices, so I figured that I'd swing by today and take a look.

Imagine my surprise when I got there to find that not only had they not packed the shelves for the sale, but there was even less ammunition than there was last week. About half of the stuff tagged for sale wasn't even in stock.

A cynic might think that they never even had the stuff in stock and just put the tags on. Good thing I'm not a cynic. ;)

BTW, FS has prices that are better than the "sale" prices from BP and they actually have the stuff in stock. So, I'll take a ride to Woburn tomorrow.

I guess this is a case of Flyer Beware.

A cynic might think that they never even had the stuff in stock and just put the tags on. Good thing I'm not a cynic. ;)
if it makes you feel any better they've been on the "list" for a while now. [angry2]damn bass pro!

Not surprised. I was looking for some Hornady 6.5 CM quick and their web site they had it in stock. I drove to the store only to find nothing but an empty shelf where this ammo was supposed to be. Doubt someone bought what was in stock in the half hour it took me to drive down. Even their online stock system is a POS.

Bass Pro sucks and their business model is slowly bleeding into and ruining Cabela's now
My experience with cabelas I december has permanently turned me off their brand. They sell a product for more than market, post a return a generous return policy, and when you buy the product to try, hate it, and use the return policy they tell you their posted policy is not in fact the policy and they won't accept the return.

Called ye old hag on them, hope my tax dollars do some work.

Forget BS Pro

I like Bass Pro, for fishing rods :)..

Seriously maybe to play with a gun I'm interested in, but ammo for me is strictly online. Maybe where some of you live this is not possible and you haven't got a friend out of state, but target sports has a box waiting on my steps in a few days, cheaper than any stores, free shipping, no driving around hunting for deals.

I generally don't buy enough to make ordering from Target Sports worth while. I'll get what I need at FS or one or two other places with good selection and good pricing.

Bass Pro sucks and their business model is slowly bleeding into and ruining Cabela's now

This. Cabelas has gone way down hill since being acquired by BassPro. More often than not I leave their without buying anything when I go to the Hartford store.

Do biz with your LGS and tell them why. Jack.

and this too.

Bob

I generally don't buy enough to make ordering from Target Sports worth while. I'll get what I need at FS or one or two other places with good selection and good pricing.

I buy the membership, free shipping any quantity for a year plus 8% off. Pays for itself. Plus is a huge help in shooting variety, ie want to see what groups best you get a huge selection no stores carry and can get a zillion single boxes of ammo - still free ship plus 8% off already great prices. But I do shoot thousands of $'s a year.

I can't figure out why anyone with a brain and a care for his bank account would buy from Bass Pro. Their prices are awfully high even compared to other big-box outdoors shops.

I've only been to Bass Pro in MA once. The clerks there were really rude when i was trying to get a simple question answered about a shotgun, and i left in frustration. Also, i've gone to the Bass Pro in NH, and it was a very different story, and the clerks were very helpful.

Howrver, i'll always support my LGS instead of shopping at Bass Pro.

Last edited:
shooting supply (westport) can usually match or beat target sports on the common calibers. the odd stuff?? don't know

I've been looking for some range fodder and maybe self defense ammunition for my Mossberg MC1sc. I have plenty of 124 and 147, but no 115gr ammunition. Last week I was at Bass Pro and noticed that they were short of many calibers, including 9mm.

Later in the week, I received a flyer from them announcing a big "Second Amendment Sale." I ignored the firearms prices, but looked at the ammo prices. There were some pretty good prices, so I figured that I'd swing by today and take a look.

Imagine my surprise when I got there to find that not only had they not packed the shelves for the sale, but there was even less ammunition than there was last week. About half of the stuff tagged for sale wasn't even in stock.

BTW, FS has prices that are better than the "sale" prices from BP and they actually have the stuff in stock. So, I'll take a ride to Woburn tomorrow.

I guess this is a case of Flyer Beware.
Lol. I dont feel bad for you. Bass Pro was barely half a step above Walmart (when Walmart sold ammo).

But it is still better than KTP. The KTP ammo prices are absurd. I drove by this past weekend and decided to stop for some Black Powder. Their cheapest 9mm was around $12. The local gun store that only has 20 boxes has it for $8.99.

KTP, Bass Pro, Cabelas ... they a buy in bulk and price it higher than the small guy thar can buy as much. F*ck them.

And their gun prices, which they also buy in bulk, are full retard. A SW 929 in Cabelas costs around $1400 + taxes + dealing with their BS policies.

Go online, the 929 can be found for $1K + transfer fee.

I've got some good deals on ammo and other things there, but like Sears in the old days, you have to wait for the sales and "special purchases."

The best thing about KTP used to be their magazine bins. I picked up a lot of nice S&W 3rd Gen magazines there back a few years ago. At one point they had about 100 pre ban 4006 11 round magazines. I don't shoot .40 so I didn't get any of those.

Lol. I dont feel bad for you. Bass Pro was barely half a step above Walmart (when Walmart sold ammo).

But it is still better than KTP. The KTP ammo prices are absurd. I drove by this past weekend and decided to stop for some Black Powder. Their cheapest 9mm was around $12. The local gun store that only has 20 boxes has it for $8.99.

KTP, Bass Pro, Cabelas ... they a buy in bulk and price it higher than the small guy thar can buy as much. F*ck them.

And their gun prices, which they also buy in bulk, are full retard. A SW 929 in Cabelas costs around $1400 + taxes + dealing with their BS policies.

Ktp new fire arms and ammo are high price. However their used selection is good and deals can be found. Add in the fact that they guarantee a used gun will function properly or they will fix it or give you store credit up to 30 days and it's piece of mind on a used purchase and it's a good place to buy used. I've purchased many fine hunting irons there over the years. Last month I picked up a used new model a5 hunter for $465 in almost new condition. New they go $1100 at big box stores and $1500 to $1600 at local shops.....most used ones go for $800. The gun runs like a top too. Love it. But yes.....I don't buy ammo at ktp

I can't figure out why anyone with a brain and a care for his bank account would buy from Bass Pro. Their prices are awfully high even compared to other big-box outdoors shops.

Well, if you want an ice fishing shanty or a pack of Senkos or a decent rod at a reasonable price, you go to BPS.

Gun stuff???? I'm not sure I've ever bought gun stuff at BPS. Crocs are sold right next to the gun counter. Does that count?? (They make great boat shoes while fishing.). Hell, I'm not sure I'd buy a ton of saltwater stuff there. They are miles from the ocean. I'd rather go to the local shop near where I'm going to fish. (Although I did buy a couple inexpensive surf-casting combos from them a few years ago.)

BUT. . . they don't suck and they aren't ruining anything. You want convenience of one-stop-shopping, you're going to pay for it somehow. Wanting better pricing and better deals when clearly that was NOT working for BPS or Cabellerz is not going to make it happen. I urge a group of the disgruntled to make their own store and see if they can make it fly. BPS is neither filled with morons OR people lighting cigars with $100 bills.

Life is a series of changes. Nothing stays the same forever. Don't start sounding like that old grumpy uncle you knew when you were a kid. "When I was younger. . . . damned profit-stealing, crappy-selling whatsinheimers!"

Got the flyer yesterday. Looking at an expensive OU so id go up to hooksett for tax savings. Price said too low to list so I called. Guy says gun counter too busy to talk to you. please go online. Ok....

Go online. None in stock anywhere local on the first day of sale. Great. Have a sale with zero stock. Also online price was higher than KTP not that it mattered.

Ass Pro Sucks and Cabela’s is dragged down the shitter, not that they were great anyway. I never go without calling first and now that they wont let you talk to anyone I just wont go again.
I can go online and get the gun 400 cheaper, why do I even bother anymore.

Not surprised. I was looking for some Hornady 6.5 CM quick and their web site they had it in stock. I drove to the store only to find nothing but an empty shelf where this ammo was supposed to be. Doubt someone bought what was in stock in the half hour it took me to drive down. Even their online stock system is a POS.

it's the way stock gets checked in and processed. Just because it arrives in on the truck doesn't mean it gets to the shelf right away. Totes and boxes with mixed product are checked in on the dock and technically in the system, but can take a few days for the item to get to the shelf. Also, there's no guarantee that what's in the tote is actually what's on the manifest. If the warehouse screwed up and sent A instead of B, the system still shows B, at least until annual inventory fixes it.

really f***s with the In Store Pickup shit, as if it's not on the shelf, the associate needs to hunt in the back for it, even in boxes that are still on the dock and haven't been processed yet. Yet the ISP policy is that it's ready basically as soon as you come in. So even if you ordered online for ISP, the associate has 30 min to find your product if it's not on the shelf. Less if you lived in Foxboro or Wrentham etc..

if the website says "Low Stock", definitely call and have someone set it aside for you before you drive, esp if you're coming from far.

KTP used guns have some good deals if you are in the market for a mid-higher end gun. They also have some deals on used optics.
There is not a snow balls chance in hell of me buying new from from them or any box store retailer.

I saw the "2nd Amendment" sale flyer from Bass Pro. The Herter's (house brand) 9mm on the front page for $79.97 is not a bad price for 500 rounds of 9mm 115 G FMJ. They had about 20 boxes on the shelf, and I picked one up (have not had any problems with Herter's in the past).

The same guys are working there that have been there for several years, good guys and knowledgeable anytime I had a question.

Bass Pro in Foxboro is convenient for many things, I buy more clothes there than anything else. It's actually a store I don't mind walking through, they carry stuff I like.

Now if you want to talk about a big box store to hate, that would be Home Depot. The dumbest people work there, and they specialize in not having what I am looking for.

Now if you want to talk about a big box store to hate, that would be Home Depot. The dumbest people work there, and they specialize in not having what I am looking for.

Home Depot has been doing better in that they now list the isle an item is in that I'm looking for online. Lowes doesn't do that yet, but they should.

Back
Top Bottom