• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Billet?

So its fit and finish over strength.

Only finish.

All the surfaces of a forging that need to fit up or mate to something else are milled anyway, so there is no difference.

Other than being able to provide a nicer finish and make the upper and lower with profiles different than what the forging die provides, there is absolutely zero advantage to a "billet" receiver.

A billet's grain structure, anyway, is not as conducive to ultimate yield strength as a forging's anyway.

So its fit and finish over strength.

I think the ultimate strength of a piece of forged aluminum is higher but it's not enough to matter, at least in this application. Also, it's a bit of apples to oranges because the thicknesses at various points matters also.

I'm looking at building an SPR upper and I'll probably go for a billet receiver, just because. I already have a forged lower, otherwise I might get a billet lower also.

I think a better way to consider it is do you want it to be pretty or do you want to save a few $?

We have some very nice fitting billet lower and upper sets for $250.00 this is the normal cost for just a billet lower by it's self. I only have 3 left from a joint project with another company. I am closing these out once they are gone there will be no more.
7075 T6 Black Hard Coat Anodized to R60
Thanks
John
413 579 1994

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom