Biometric Locks- Are they any good?

I was looking into them last year, and from the research I did, it seems they weren't 100% reliable because such things as hand lotion could affect the "read". I was looking at them mainly to save opening time in an emergency/stressed type scenario, but from what I read, you are usually best served with something dead reliable like a Simplex type lock. It may take you a bit longer to open, but it sure beats waiting for an electronic gizmo to open if it is not reading properly, or has battery failure, or some other problem. I know they make better ones now (for a lot more money, of course), but reliability is still not 100%.

I have one for handgund and it works good for my wife and I
Suggest you get one that can store multiple finger prints

I wouldn't trust it. But then again, fingerprint readers have a hard time with my prints. I even have to give ink fingerprinting multiple tries. My. LTC doesn't even have a print on it.

FYI,

I love technology and tend to gravitate to new technology.

But I think these devices have their limitations for a gun safe IF you want to be able to get at your gun quicky when you are under stress.

My experience and opinion on this technology s based on the biometric (fingerprint) reader on my laptop. Often it takes multiple reads to work and this is not when under stress of 'OMG, I need access to my gun now!' type of situations. Often it takes a read or three to get into my laptop several times a day (I have to login to my laptop each time I stop using it for more than several minutes).

Note, this one accepts multiple fingerprints and even multiple 'configuration reads' from the same finger when setting it up to help it read properly. So it's not an old, first generation cheap device.

Often it's just that I don't place my finger squarely on the reader, so it only gets a partial read.

So my answer to this technology is that it's not fool proof enough yet, unless you don't care about gaining access quickly under stress. As long as you understand this, and don't mind something that may fail when you may need it, then you may like it.

I don't like them for your primary HD option. If your simply looking to store an "additional" accessible firearm and feel better with the bio model then go for it. Also you might want to get a model that allows you to store your prints multiple times. This will make finding a match much quicker.

Good luck.

I bought the Gunvault Speedvault Biometric....I think it works pretty good but I just bought another Gunvault and elected to go with the non Biometric....just seems like if I was in a high intensity situation the regular would be better....

Simplex mechanical is reliable and a container secured with one meets MA "safe storage" requirements.

But, it is not "high security" - just good to deter casual access.

Also, most biometric gun vaults have a key override - and the key is rarely high security; usually conventional pin tumbler or ACE137 tubular - both very easily picked.

So, the answer really depends on your application and needs.

I have the Barska for my nightstand gun, works fine for me. Nice to take multipe reads of the fingers for good measure, but it works fine without it.

I have one for handgund and it works good for my wife and I
Suggest you get one that can store multiple finger prints

I agree with gene. I purchased the Top Opening Biometric Drawer Safe by Barska - Biometric Safe by Barska and it can store 30 prints. Both myself and my wife have input many different fingerprints. It is very close to us in the bedroom and we both try it all the time to just to double check it and it works well without failures.
One nice feature is you can disable the "beeping" noise when you open it. Don't want anyone alerted when the safe top is opened. The one thing I did add was some self sticking round battery operated LED lights. You just press the top and it lights up. Got the lights at Home Depot.

I use a special type of biometric device to secure my gun: you put your index finger on the trigger and apply 5.5 lbs of pressure, straight back, and it works.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom