black powder friendly Ranges North shore/Southern NH

Anyone know of any ranges (aside from Danvers) that have a separate area for "primitive"/flintlock/percussion shooting only?

I love my home range (Andover) but when going out with the muskets or cap and ball pistols, its a slower, more relaxed pace of shooting, when someone is blasting away with an AR at the next bench over it sorta ruins the experience for me. Looking for any ranges (or any other areas (feel free to PM me) that cater to the black powder side of the hobby)

Thanks!

Leominster has the Wachusett Mountain Men (their woodswalk is like mini-golf with a muzzleloader = Wicked Cool! - & the coolest station of all is split the ball on an axehead!)
in the paper a few years back:

Anyone know of any ranges (aside from Danvers) that have a separate area for "primitive"/flintlock/percussion shooting only?

I love my home range (Andover) but when going out with the muskets or cap and ball pistols, its a slower, more relaxed pace of shooting, when someone is blasting away with an AR at the next bench over it sorta ruins the experience for me. Looking for any ranges (or any other areas (feel free to PM me) that cater to the black powder side of the hobby)

Thanks!
No help to you. But man it has been busy up there. I have probably been up six times in the past month. All midweek and it has been packed. I don't know if it's because we have been taking in A lot of new members. Or because a lot of people didn't shoot during corna. I used to go midweek and I was usually the only one there 2-3 tops.

No help to you. But man it has been busy up there. I have probably been up six times in the past month. All midweek and it has been packed. I don't know if it's because we have been taking in A lot of new members. Or because a lot of people didn't shoot during corna. I used to go midweek and I was usually the only one there 2-3 tops.
I was there last week and probably the busiest I've seen it. Pre-Covid when I'd go on my lunch break it was 75% chance I was there alone, not these days.

I was there last week and probably the busiest I've seen it. Pre-Covid when I'd go on my lunch break it was 75% chance I was there alone, not these days.

Where Andover?

Danvers has a nice area, set back from the rest of the club, however I have ZERO desire to shoot at any modern guns at any of the their regular ranges, I dislike having range officers hovering over me, that is part of the appeal of Andover. But the Andover range for rifles in comparison to most places, is tiny, nice, but tiny.

Danvers has a grass area and a woods walk, that is pretty secluded and I believe fairly un-used. However it is super expensive there, and $200 a year annually to use one part of a large club maybe once a month etc doesn't seem sensible...I know i know you have to pay to play, but eh.

Just looking for a quiet range that is exclusive to primitive firearms, open whenever where I can go and make some smoke, w/o needing a range officer.

Great....

I know they've added a whole bunch more, I typically would go on days off, mid morning or after lunch hour, typically would have the place to myself..hopefully that doesn't change, or that's gonna be a real bummer.

Was going to go today...but I guess Malden PD is gonna use it all week instead. :mad:
Yup, I checked last night. Coincidentally, it always seems to work out that PDs have the club whenever it's going to be a nice weather week.

Yup, I checked last night. Coincidentally, it always seems to work out that PDs have the club whenever it's going to be a nice weather week.

Every time, I wouldn't mind if they were local PD, but you're telling me Malden can't find somewhere else to shoot! oh well. Guess I'll watch the grass grow instead.

Townsend Rod and Gun Club. Third Sunday of the month for Black Powder. The gate should be up,drive past the pistol, rifle and trap ranges, keep left stop at the log cabin on the left.

Thanks!
LOL not sure if serious one of the guys that I liked to shoot with was the Civil War black powder dude He used to come up to the range that I went to it was great because he had ground plinking targets and then I had stuff on stands and we never got any each other’s way...,

Sounds like you need a range that’s less busy rather than one that tries to cater to BP users....

I tend not to have my experience "ruined" when I'm shooting the black powder and others are shooting ARs. I'm pretty good at minding my own business and just worrying about what I'm doing.

I'm sure your going to have a hard time finding a club with a bp only firing line.....I mean.....what club is going to dedicate real estate just for the 6-8 dudes that only shoot bp. Set times maybe......but a whole range just for bp that sounds pretty rare...and to top it off the op is asking for north shore specifically? 🤣

I shoot bp and would never expect my club to dedicate range space real estate just for black powder when it could be used for more popular shooting types.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I'm a member over at PFG, and I myself am heavily involved with promoting antique BP shooting at our club. At Pelham you can shoot BP rifles and pistols pretty much at any range (including our steel silhouette range). no BP at our indoor pistol, or our turning target ranges. I also host BP focused 600 yd fun shoots. PM me if you have questions or I'm happy to have you as a guest and give you a tour.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm a member over at PFG, and I myself am heavily involved with promoting antique BP shooting at our club. At Pelham you can shoot BP rifles and pistols pretty much at any range (including our steel silhouette range). no BP at our indoor pistol, or our turning target ranges. I also host BP focused 600 yd fun shoots. PM me if you have questions or I'm happy to have you as a guest and give you a tour.

Could be a good place to check out, I've heard nothing but good things about Pelham all around.

And to the other guys, who commented, trust me I get it, its a niche discipline in the larger shooting world and get that the time invested in clearing land or having a range for BP/primitive guns is probably not going to happen. A smaller quieter club is probably the way to go. In a perfect world I'd take off for NH and find house with enough property to do my own thing, but unfortunately I'm confined to the state for now, I'll have to look into Pelham, but otherwise the search goes on.

Back
Top Bottom