• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Black powder picture thread

Winchester model 1887 lever action 10 gauge, circa 1889

Bought this off an acquaintance who never shot it and claims it had been in his wife's grandfather's home unfired since the 20's or 30's. After having a competent gunsmith inspect it and give it a clean bill of health, I decided to bring it back to life. However, I had no experience with black powder, nor do any of my shooting buddies so I was in for quite a learning curve.

I did my research, scrounged together all the necessary supplies (which was not easy due to the pandemic shortages), did more research, and worked up the courage to actually hand load some ten gauge black powder brass shotgun shells. I played it safe and went with 90 grains of GOEX FFg and used 1.25 ounces of lead shot with wads and cards from Circle Fly. For the shot shells I went with half a dozen 2 and 7/8 inch brass shells from Track of the Wolf.

As you might guess, I was a little hesitant because I had never handloaded black powder and the Winchester is 133 years old but everything worked perfectly. The brass shells cycled smoothly and all six shells fired as expected. The flash of the black powder was visible in the daylight, which I thought was pretty cool but boy did the gun get dirty. This will not be a daily shooter but I will fire it again on special occasions. Sorry the "flash" photos are poor quality, they're snips of the video of me shooting it.

Winchester 1887.jpg model 1887 1.png model 1887 2.png

I only got into black powder handguns a few years ago. Before that I only had my .50 rifle for primitive deer season.

The one on top is an original 1860, made in 1861. All matching, with military proofs. I’ve yet to have it lettered from Colt but I plan to some day. That was the first cap n ball I acquired believe it or not. All the others are repro/ contemporary.

A9094E8E-8F39-486E-A427-C80FA19E961A.jpeg

And I also picked up one last night by complete coincidence and excellent timing…
0B19017E-5F2B-4B2C-A535-04D1CE0DDF4D.jpeg
(Top) a mid 80’s CVA 1847 Walker. What a beast of a handgun!

I only got into black powder handguns a few years ago. Before that I only had my .50 rifle for primitive deer season.

The one on top is an original 1860, made in 1861. All matching, with military proofs. I’ve yet to have it lettered from Colt but I plan to some day. That was the first cap n ball I acquired believe it or not. All the others are repro/ contemporary.

View attachment 675365

And I also picked up one last night by complete coincidence and excellent timing…
View attachment 675366
(Top) a mid 80’s CVA 1847 Walker. What a beast of a handgun!

Would you even try to fire the 1860?

Would you even try to fire the 1860?
I have fired that original 1860. Several times. I put a very light charge each time though. And I don't plan on shooting it again since I have plenty of repro's to shoot now. But for a while, that was the only one I had and I really enjoyed putting a rew rounds through it. ;)
0C9F9EAF-7BF5-444C-A2BB-2285406AE2E8.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom