Black powder rifle into Ma.

wjsmall97

NES Member
Does anyone know if it is illegal to bring a blackpowder rifle into to mass. to go hunting after work back in N.H.? I believe the rifle wood not be much of a problem, but I am guessing that the black powder itself might be.
Thanks Bill

Does anyone know if it is illegal to bring a blackpowder rifle into to mass. to go hunting after work back in N.H.? I believe the rifle wood not be much of a problem, but I am guessing that the black powder itself might be.
Thanks Bill
According to mass hunting law a nh resident can bring a fire arm into mass to hunt. ANY firearm......as long as it's legal to use on the game your are hunting.

From the mass fish and game website hunting regulations.

"Non-residents with a valid Massachusetts non-resident hunting license do not need an LTC or FID to possess or carry a rifle or shotgun, but must carry their firearms unloaded and in a case while traveling in their vehicles"

I have many friends that hunt with me in mass that are nh residents. You need a mass non res hunting license......and to be legal in mass with a fire arm without an ltc / fid it must be during hunting
season and the fire arm must be legal to use in the game you are hunting.

Enjoy your hunt.

Also here is the link to mass e regulations that I got that info from

Laws & Regulations | eRegulations

Edit......I just re read your post.....your not hunting in mass just leaving it in your vehicle for the day? It's not a fire arm so the gun would not be an issue........but the powder probably would be. Unless you had a mass non res hunting license during hunting season in mass then you could probably get away with it .......technically.

Last edited:
This.

You will NOT be able to buy them here as the components are considered ammunition.

Bob
He says he'll be coming to mass with the muzzle loader to keep it in his vehicle until work is over ..... Then hunt in NH on his way home. Powder and primers in mass with no ltc or fid.,......unless he has mass non resident hunting license during open hunting season then he can bring any fire arm he wants into mass as long as the gun meets hunting impliment regulations for an open game animal in mass at that time.

Without a mass non res hunting license he'd be in posession of ammunition without an fid or ltc.

He says he'll be coming to mass with the muzzle loader to keep it in his vehicle until work is over ..... Then hunt in NH on his way home. Powder and primers in mass with no ltc or fid.,......unless he has mass non resident hunting license during open hunting season then he can bring any fire arm he wants into mass as long as the gun meets hunting impliment regulations for an open game animal in mass at that time.

Without a mass non res hunting license he'd be in posession of ammunition without an fid or ltc.

It is the same exemption.

Bob

Chapter 140 Section 129C:

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:

(f) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresident hunters with valid nonresident hunting licenses during hunting season;

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129C

ETA:

Yes you are correct. I misread and thought that he was hunting in Massachusetts. Long day.

Bob

Last edited:
Don't forget subpara (p) in that same section.

That’s it. I didn’t go far enough down as I was looking for something else.

Bob

(p) Carrying or possession by residents or nonresidents of so-called black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor as described in such paragraphs (A) and (B) of the third paragraph of section 121, and the carrying or possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside.

Thanks Bill
Bottom line

You'll need a non res hunting license to be ok bringing the powder and primers into mass. With that non res hunting license you can actually bring a long gun into mass.....provided there is currently an open season in mass with which you can use the long gun.

So without a non resident hunting license, i can't bring powder.or primer into mass. That's what I thought but wanted to double check.
Thanks,Bill

Back
Top Bottom