• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Black powder Winchester

I have an old Winchester lever action in 45/90 that says Black Powder on the barrel. The weapon is in fine shape and I would like to fire it. I have some new brass and there are a lot of 45/70 cartridges available, (some on this site right now). Is there anyone with real knowledge or advice on where to find it about the do's and don'ts with this type of black powder cartridge. Thanks

I'm not sure of where you're located but you could probably get some good advice at (gulp) The Hunter's Rendezvous on Rte 119 in Pepperell.

I'm not fond of the owner, but he's got lots of old BP cartridge arms and supplies. If you brought it in there, he'd be able to help you.

However, they guy's a jerk. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Try the Accurate Arms website they have loads for a lot of the old BP cartridges. IIRC PMC
made a run of 45/90 ammo with a 300gr lead bullet. I have found that AA5744 is an excellent powder for BP cartridges

5744 is what I use in a trap door spingfield in 45-70. It is Mike Ventorino's powder of choice when not loading black. Accurate has a full section covering old firearms in their loading manual and Starline makes the brass.

Last edited:
5744 is what I use in a trap door spingfield in 47-70. It is Mike Ventorino's powder of choice when not loading black. Accurate has a full section covering old firearms in their loading manual and Starline makes the brass.

Could you tell me what waight bullet and how meny grains of ACC 5744 powder
that Mike V uses in his 45-70?? i shoot those trapies also and would love to find a
nice smokless load that shoots well Thanks Sheriff Dudley

I use 26G. of 5744 behind a 405G. cast either gas check or PB bullet in a trap door. 29G. with a rolling block, 40G. of IMR4198 in a Contender. They all shoot clean.

Thanks for the info i love those old trapdoors i have two 1884s and a H&R Officers
model that i call the "Little General" and if was to go hunting again thats the beauty
that i would take, thanks again S.D.

Back
Top Bottom