• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Blackhawk Serpa Level 3 Duty Holster

Has anyone used this holster?
I need to pick up a new duty holster and this one looks pretty good. I like the security features and how you draw from it.

I've heard very mixed things about them. Some swear by them, others hate them. A guy I work with uses it and 95% of the time the top retention device is popped open (leaving only the traditional serpa retention).

I was thinking about getting it, but went with the proven safariland.

We're now issuing the Safariland 6360 for our new M&P45s. I like it so far.
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6360

Us too...(well same holster different gun)...

I had to choose the dept.'s new holster about 6 months ago, after checking out a number of choices went with the safariland. I found it had a lot more possative references than the serpa...

Now that we have been using them since about July, there have been no real complaints infact most on the dept say the same thing we all find the safariland to be an incredably fluid motion to draw, yet has fast solid retention...

Now that we have been using them since about July, there have been no real complaints infact most on the dept say the same thing we all find the safariland to be an incredably fluid motion to draw, yet has fast solid retention...

Same here. So much ahead of the old snap which sometimes could be very difficult to manipulate. A very smooth draw and high level of retention.

I'm issued a Safariland ALS, and it's a fine holster as everyone has said. However, that being said, I VASTLY prefer the two SERPA holsters I have (a "concealed carry" level 2--that's in quotes because unless you're wearing a really baggy sweatshirt or jacket, it's obvious to anyone with eyes-- and a level 3 duty holster) for several reasons. I love that you can change the belt attachment from low ride to mid ride in about a minute, add spacers, and adjust the cant of the holster to about six different angles; the draw is so incredibly natural that you don't even think about it when you draw, which I have to do when I draw from my Safariland (though that could be because I'm new to it; though, it took me a grand total of three draws from my level 3 SERPA to feel like I'd been using it my whole life), and yet, having tested it with fellow officers and friends who are not officers, not one person could get it out within thirty seconds WITHOUT ME FIGHTING THEM unless they were literally right behind me; and lastly, I love that the hood CANNOT close without human manipulation, meaning that if you want it open, it STAYS open, my biggest complaint about the Safariland and other hooded holsters, where the hood can close on you without you wanting it to.

But, I do believe that you need to mix comfort and security, and while the security is the same no matter who is using it, not everyone will be comfortable with the system. Before moving to a whole new system (unless required by department policy) I'd suggest finding someone who owns one and getting in some practice reps. I've found with every holster I've used I can tell just how comfortable I'll end up with it within the first couple dozen draws.

I had the Safariland before and liked it fine. I'd miss the hood occasionally on qual days, but I never missed it in the field when I really needed the gun out.

I'm using the Sherpa for now, it's a really quick draw. Natural placement for both releases.

That said, I'm concerned about how dirt/snow/ice will effect the function of the holster. We ride sleds and snowshoe quite a bit, so I'm waiting to see if it freezes up.

I much prefer Safariland, because of personal taste, the issues with the release mechanism highlighted by what happened with DEA agent Lee Paige, and post #12 of this thread.

That said, I'm concerned about how dirt/snow/ice will effect the function of the holster. We ride sleds and snowshoe quite a bit, so I'm waiting to see if it freezes up.

You shouldn't wait to see, you should test it out yourself when your life isn't depending on it...just sayin'...

I much prefer Safariland, because of personal taste, the issues with the release mechanism highlighted by what happened with DEA agent Lee Paige, and post #12 of this thread.

You shouldn't wait to see, you should test it out yourself when your life isn't depending on it...just sayin'...

I agree, but my 'testing' may not be what actually happens in the field. I had to tear apart my safariland holster a couple times a year to get the grime out of it. They both have issues with the mechanism if you are in a hostile environment.1

I have been using the Serpa for about 6 months now and love it. Haven't had any problems with it and I absolutely love the draw from it. It's been used in the rain, snow, ice, and dirt and it's performed wonderfully.

I agree, but my 'testing' may not be what actually happens in the field. I had to tear apart my safariland holster a couple times a year to get the grime out of it. They both have issues with the mechanism if you are in a hostile environment.1

Good point, I just think that if it's possible to test it out in situations you're likely to encounter then you'd be better off.

Good point, I just think that if it's possible to test it out in situations you're likely to encounter then you'd be better off.

Keep in mind, I'm in a totally new environment when it comes to snow/ice. I almost dragged my holster through the snow to see how it dealt with it. I figured this was a little overkill, I'm more concerned with sleet or freezing rain messing with the mechanism if I happen to take a walk or something. My jacket does a good job covering it without impeding me too badly.

If it really concerned me, I'd go back to the Safariland and a beast I know.

Back
Top Bottom