Blending lead alloy " The One9"

mac1911

NES Member
Maybe we can rename this thread the 2020 socially remote casting/smelting seminar ?

The time off because of covid-19 or the One9 that i have been calling it has afforded me some time to clean up/out and organize alot of stuff around the house and yard. In between more important things I set small blocks of time to get my alloy pit in check. Once done sorting the known alloys i worked on sorting and finding out what other batches of alloy are and found just over 100# of random scrap. This is what I think is among the mix. Most is lead that found its way to me and some tid bits from me that did not get labeled.
In the mix= Flashing, reclaimed lead shot, indoor range lead, wheel weights both clip on and stick on, some fishing weight lead. Now its already smelted into muffingots so i had to blend it. Now I will send the samples off to see what i have. My guess is a alloy some where in clip on wheel weight to lead shot wheel weight alloy?
So my quess will be -2% Sn, -3% Sb , 95% Pb
Going on memory and what i was told by the lead source
I have mostly wheel weight and Shotgun shot lead with some soft tossed in. i will break out the art pencils to get a rough gauge of the "One9" alloy later.

View: https://youtu.be/RqGiAc4GeJU

Last edited:
I don't have the lead inventory you have, maybe 15 lbs each WW and soft.

WW ok for 30 cal trail boss loads with gas checks?

I'd like to do some hot hard cast 10mm loads too.

The Burner is pretty load , the term I was looking for was Emissivity- Not all IR Thermometers are adjustable
heres a chart below. I had mine set on .74 which seems to work for my general use. When its molten and shinny its probably closer to .20-.30 setting.
Play around with the settings and distance if you have a IR that can be adjusted

Emissivity Coefficients Materials[/URL

View: https://youtu.be/XX3wj6g2bxg

used 3.5lbs of fuel to blend 100lbs of alloy or about 3500 200grain slugs
Came in around 11-13 BHN with the art pencil test, it will harden some the next few days.
uhn8tb2m.jpg

So basically If I can get close to wheel weight alloy I have another 100lbs to add to the pile.
Recycled alloy close to wheel weight alloy runs $1.50/lb but only offered at 1000lb pallet

All this lead was free and only a very small amount was already melted by me. I had enough free time today to get it done and it cost me fuel. $14.82 for 15lbs of propane.
$3.54 for fuel or about .04 cents per pound to melt it down.

Last edited:
I don't have the lead inventory you have, maybe 15 lbs each WW and soft.

WW ok for 30 cal trail boss loads with gas checks?

I'd like to do some hot hard cast 10mm loads too.
You really do not need hard lead for pistol loads. Proper size is more important then hardness. You want the alloy soft enough to obturate to seal the bore.

Wheel weight alloy is fine for most rifle applications unless your really trying to push the pressure/velocity. There are ways to Harden the alloys also.

With trail boss 30-06 your max load is probably only going to reach 25,000 psi max Wheel weight alloy should handle that.

theres a lot to figure out but heres some good reading.

I dont load 10mm but depending on the bullet weight and charge Im guessing WW alloy would be good enough. maybe a little harder? FIT , Lube then worry about bhn. If you have a bullet .001-.002 over with a good lube or coated leading should be minimum.
what is the MAX on 10mm 37k psi ? If your pushing them to max then maybe you would need some 18bhn+ ? All my cast pistol loads are on the wimpy side. Soft target loads that will just function in a semi is as fast as I drive them. I could probably get away with pure lead in my 38/357 plinkers.

Last edited:
You really do not need hard lead for pistol loads. Proper size is more important then hardness. You want the alloy soft enough to obturate to seal the bore.

Wheel weight alloy is fine for most rifle applications unless your really trying to push the pressure/velocity. There are ways to Harden the alloys also.

With trail boss 30-06 your max load is probably only going to reach 25,000 psi max Wheel weight alloy should handle that.

theres a lot to figure out but heres some good reading.

I dont load 10mm but depending on the bullet weight and charge Im guessing WW alloy would be good enough. maybe a little harder? FIT , Lube then worry about bhn. If you have a bullet .001-.002 over with a good lube or coated leading should be minimum.
what is the MAX on 10mm 37k psi ? If your pushing them to max then maybe you would need some 18bhn+ ? All my cast pistol loads are on the wimpy side. Soft target loads that will just function in a semi is as fast as I drive them. I could probably get away with pure lead in my 38/357 plinkers.

I'll need the whole kit to do 10mm projectiles- mold and sizing die. I have a pretty big box of plated bullets to mess with first. Some of the max loads for 10mm are reaching 36,000 psi. Many of the starting loads are close to 30,000 psi.

I'll need the whole kit to do 10mm projectiles- mold and sizing die. I have a pretty big box of plated bullets to mess with first. Some of the max loads for 10mm are reaching 36,000 psi. Many of the starting loads are close to 30,000 psi.
any preference to the bullet style or weight? Traditional lube or Coated ? I might have a 40 cal mold kicking around ?

Nice Mac! I love the casting I’ve been seeing around here lately. It’s inspiring.
Mountain I have a Lee push through .401 sizer if you want it. It’s yours.
I load just about full house 357 magnums loads with an alloy that’s roughly 1% tin 1.5% antimony. Sized to .358” and lubed with White Label Lubes BAC. The last round was a 170 grain bullet over 13 grains of 2400. I’m guessing 1600+ FPS from the 16” barrel. Zero leading.
I would imagine 10mm would be pretty similar to loading a 357 or 44 magnum with the little tweaks you need for an auto loading cartridge thrown in there.

Pics of the bullets because they’re pretty.
88B8085E-651D-4038-8449-41191C94B350.jpeg

Nice Mac! I love the casting I’ve been seeing around here lately. It’s inspiring.
I load just about full house 357 magnums loads with an alloy that’s roughly 1% tin 1.5% antimony. Sized to .358” and lubed with White Label Lubes BAC. The last round was a 170 grain bullet over 13 grains of 2400. I’m guessing 1600+ FPS from the 16” barrel. Zero leading.
I would imagine 10mm would be pretty similar to loading a 357 or 44 magnum with the little tweaks you need for an auto loading cartridge thrown in there.

View attachment 358388
I will be casting some pure lead 50 cal Lee REAL bullets soon. maybe tomorrow if I dont go in to work again

Well, this is awesome! Given what I typically spend on reloading for rifle matches in time and money, I don't spend a lot on pistol shooting. 10mm is motivating me to cast and load.

any preference to the bullet style or weight? Traditional lube or Coated ? I might have a 40 cal mold kicking around ?

Something about beggars not being choosers? :) I'd take anything but given a choice might try traditional similar to Michael J's below.

View attachment 358388

Oh yeah- in! I'd really appreciate that .401 sizer and was going to order one. [thumbsup]

That's a fairly stout .357 load. You use the tray method for that White Label BAC? Any thoughts on what size/caliber 'cookie cutter' to use for .40/10mm?

Well, this is awesome! Given what I typically spend on reloading for rifle matches in time and money, I don't spend a lot on pistol shooting. 10mm is motivating me to cast and load.

Something about beggars not being choosers? :) I'd take anything but given a choice might try traditional similar to Michael J's below.

Oh yeah- in! I'd really appreciate that .401 sizer and was going to order one. [thumbsup]

That's a fairly stout .357 load. You use the tray method for that White Label BAC? Any thoughts on what size/caliber 'cookie cutter' to use for .40/10mm?
i was pan lubing before i finally scored a lubesizer.
Dont know what I waited so long for to pick one of these up! Just need a .310 size now to complete the dies I need.
I use 2500 lube and when pan lube I have been able to just push the bullets out and run them through the lee sizer.
Looked last night and did not find my 40cal mold.
i might have traded it.

I’m using a Star lube sizer for any lube work but pan lubing is great too.
As far as a cake cutter you can either chill the lubed bullets and pop them out through the bottom or look for a .41 mag case which will be a few thousands over size for the 10mm and should cut them out nicely.

I’m using a Star lube sizer for any lube work but pan lubing is great too.
As far as a cake cutter you can either chill the lubed bullets and pop them out through the bottom or look for a .41 mag case which will be a few thousands over size for the 10mm and should cut them out nicely.

Thanks- Mac also mentioned popping out from bottom. Should I freeze or just refrigerate? I can try the .41 Mag case as well. Might find some at the range. I also might have one with a 'vent' slot at the base though it might be oversized. I found it at the range and someone either had double-charged or mistakenly fired it in a .44. Looked like a real 'Oh sheet!' moment.

Thanks- Mac also mentioned popping out from bottom. Should I freeze or just refrigerate? I can try the .41 Mag case as well. Might find some at the range. I also might have one with a 'vent' slot at the base though it might be oversized. I found it at the range and someone either had double-charged or mistakenly fired it in a .44. Looked like a real 'Oh sheet!' moment.
It all depends on the lube. If you’re using something like carnauba red then room temp will be fine. Something softer like 50/50 and you will want to get it refrigerated. I can’t imagine any lubes needing to go colder than that

The Results are in :
Pb 98.17 Sb 1.46 - no tin .
so now i can blend a few different things together.
to make some decent cast bullets.

i was hoping for a bit of tin . But its close to what I figured from those that gave me the lead.
Lead shot and pure with some unknown "wheel weight" its a good starting point

Last edited:
Nice! I think I have about 300# of alloy right now. I need more
im trying to get a grasp on how much i have.
Figure at least #350-#400 Clip on Wheel Weight alloy
200# of Sb 2% Pb 98% or lead shot type alloy.
at min 150# flashing
I have not weighed my range scrap. I figure between my range scrap alloy, the isotope containers and the lead "collars" and what I found today Has to be another 250#+. So im set for a good amount of time. Im sure I will have some more to donate also, oh and I have 100# or so of lead shot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom