• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

#BLM Protesting at Yale

Reptile

NES Member
Black Lives Matter of New Haven planned another demonstration Sunday afternoon. On its Facebook page, the group call New Haven, Hamden and Yale police a "triple occupation" of the community.

The shooting occurred after 4:15 a.m. Tuesday when Hamden police Officer Devin Eaton and Yale police Officer Terrance Pollack, responding to a report of an attempted robbery at a gas station, stopped a red car near campus fitting the description of the suspect's vehicle, Yale officials said.

Both officers opened fire on the car, the university said. Police have not said why the officers deployed their guns. The officers, Stephanie Washington and the driver, identified by NBC Connecticut as Paul Witherspoon, 21, are black.

Protests erupt after police shoot woman near Yale University

Are the protestors mostly Virtue Signaling students and outside instigators (Sharpton, Jackson, etc.), or are they New Haven residents (not affiliated with Yale)?

I mean, everyone in the situation is black, so in this case, indeed, All Lives Matter?

But it may be that the robbery report was erroneous, and if so, the Po-leece have some 'splaining to do.

Black cops shoot at black male driver who is suspect in an armed robbery and miss and hit black female passenger. No one is killed, but we have to protest black people being shot to death by white people? Okay.

Ain't nobody 'innocent' at 4:15am unless they've already been to bed, and are up to go hunting/fishing, or to make a flight.

Everyone else awake at that unGodly hour is up to no good.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ain't nobody 'innocent' at 4:15am unless they've already been to bed, and are up to go hunting/fishing, or to make a flight.

...or engaged in one's job of, say, delivering newspapers.

Oh, and speaking of, this is rich:
Witherspoon was detained and released after the shooting, the Hartford Courant reported, adding that his uncle, Rodney Williams, said the robbery report was an exaggerated claim based on heated words Witherspoon had with a newspaper delivery worker at the gas station.

Or if they are freshly off shift, just off a flight, or otherwise doing something travel/work related.

Hey, I resent that! I get up at 4:15am to get ready to go to work!

Oh, wait....

There was this op-ed piece on Yale and some diversity training in the WSJ yesterday. It dealt with 30-something and 40-something grad students in a dorm.

I'm sorry. You're 30-something or 40-something. Dorm???? Clearly, you are a professional student and need to GTFO in the real world. Yalie problem SOLVED! I mean, damn! Even Richard Feinman had a wife and a house. And that guy was class-A weird AND genius. But he was able to live on his own, make an income and still find time for school/geniusness.

They're right that there is a problem in the culture of policing in our country. It's become shoot first and sort it out later. The time for change has come. I don't claim to know the solution, Just have a few ideas. But too many innocent people are being shot by police and it has to stop.

1. I think to make all officers involved in unjustified shootings personally culpable for any and all damages is a good start.
2. Body cameras become 100% mandatory for all officers serving in any and every capacity.
3. Officers involved in any shooting are placed on leave without pay until the investigation is complete. If the shooting is determined to be justified they get back pay. If not - they're fired, do not receive back pay, and are culpable for all damages. No more year(s) off with pay on administrative leave while an investigation drags along.
4. All investigations must be completed within 30 days - or the chief of police is placed on unpaid administrative leave for the time beyond 30 days until it is completed. No back pay. (watch it get done in a week). It's amazing what can be accomplished when one is motivated to make it a priority.

Implement these ideas and that will reign in a lot of the trigger happy ass hats out there who clearly are in the wrong line of work.

They're right that there is a problem in the culture of policing in our country. It's become shoot first and sort it out later. The time for change has come. I don't claim to know the solution, Just have a few ideas. But too many innocent people are being shot by police and it has to stop.

1. I think to make all officers involved in unjustified shootings personally culpable for any and all damages is a good start.
2. Body cameras become 100% mandatory for all officers serving in any and every capacity.
3. Officers involved in any shooting are placed on leave without pay until the investigation is complete. If the shooting is determined to be justified they get back pay. If not - they're fired, do not receive back pay, and are culpable for all damages. No more year(s) off with pay on administrative leave while an investigation drags along.
4. All investigations must be completed within 30 days - or the chief of police is placed on unpaid administrative leave for the time beyond 30 days until it is completed. No back pay. (watch it get done in a week). It's amazing what can be accomplished when one is motivated to make it a priority.

Implement these ideas and that will reign in a lot of the trigger happy ass hats out there who clearly are in the wrong line of work.

If this comes to pass you will have a very long wait for 911. Police already expect i-phones & cameras recording all their interactions. Not pay them while they are on admin for being shot at?

If this comes to pass you will have a very long wait for 911. Police already expect i-phones & cameras recording all their interactions. Not pay them while they are on admin for being shot at?

Shot at? It's clear you didn't read the story. The victim here (who was shot by police) was unarmed, and no weapons were found, anywhere..... Not even so much as a fingernail clipper....

....and regardless of what police "expect" they should have body cameras. It's for our protection just as much as theirs.
Example:

View: https://youtu.be/WP9yhsWc0CE

Shot at? It's clear you didn't read the story. The victim here (who was shot by police) was unarmed, and no weapons were found, anywhere..... Not even so much as a fingernail clipper....

....and regardless of what police "expect" they should have body cameras. It's for our protection just as much as theirs.
Example:

The incident is being played by the "usual suspects" as rayciss in nature. This is despite the fact that the responding officers in question were both black men.

As I've said before, old saying is nothing good happens past twenty-two hundred. I'm still waiting to hear exactly what they were up to at that 0-dark-30. The uncle has stated there was a "misunderstanding" at the gas station, indicating SOMETHING happened there, and those two are more than innocent victims of mistaken identity.

Example:

The "problem" is you are setting standards on one event. We gun owners cringe when we are all lumped in with a "mass shooting". As I said, don't expect fast response times. Never use one incident to paint everyone.

The "problem" is you are setting standards on one event. We gun owners cringe when we are all lumped in with a "mass shooting". As I said, don't expect fast response times. Never use one incident to paint everyone.

One incident? No. It's like 1 a week at this point. From unarmed women in their PJs getting lit up by police to this and everything in between.

One incident? No. It's like 1 a week at this point. From unarmed women in their PJs getting lit up by police to this and everything in between.
...and while some of it may have to do with bad police actors, a lot of it has to do with bad actors "in the community." In Connecticut there were TWO officer-involved shootings, this one and that one in Wethersfield with the eighteen-year-old Latino kid purportedly drove at the cop. So far, what's not being disputed:
- Kid driving unregistered vehicle, with plates that weren't his.
- Kid pulled over, then deciding to pull away.

What happens next is still in dispute, but it appears he "spun around" and drove past or was attempting to drive past the officer when he fired. Which is to say was driving in the direction of the officer.

(Sigh.)

I have to deal with members of the Brown Community coming onto the trails I tend and SHITTING (quite literally) on them. And in the picnic area where they eat. I'm guessing we need some sort of bilingual "this is how you shit in the woods, if you need to, and, let's start with not shitting where you eat" PSA. Much in the same way, mayhaps there needs to be something along the lines of, "If you are driving and see the red and blue lights come on behind you, here's what you do and NOT do."

Pro tips:
- Register your car.
- Pull over when the cop's lights come on, and STAY pulled over.
- If for some reason you choose not to do those two, don't drive TOWARDS the officer who pulled you over.

As for Heckle and Jeckle* (the two cops in the New Haven incident): not sure what happened there, but insofar as the uncle came out and said there was a "misunderstanding" with that newspaper guy at the gas station, we're not hearing the whole story.

*Yes, I went there. BLM turned it into a rayciss dumpster fire, so I have no problem playing the same game.

Ughhh.

Every time I see a thread title like this, I wonder why the Bureau of Land Management is so upset...

Back
Top Bottom