• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BOB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord0fWar

NES Member
I posted this is general discussion for folks that may not frequent here...so for you guys that do this survival type prepping and do it a lot more than I do...thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have and sun screen or bug spray? I would loose the zombie knife, your Lmf and hatchet should be more than enough for fighting and chopping.

Other than that it looks pretty well thought out.

My BOB contents: Gerber Gator machete, Gerber mini folding shovel, CRKT M-14 folder, first aid kit, 100' of 550 cord, water purification tablets and filter straw, firestarters, 200 rds 45ACP, 200 rds 5.56, emergency blanket, canteen, bag of dryer lint (for fire tinder), weather-proof matches, Fenix PD flashlight w/ extra batteries, duct tape, black wire ties, fishing kit, bug spray, sunscreen, glow sticks, power bars and a compass.

I guess it depends on what your goal is. If it's just to get out for 72 hours, then it's probably ok; otherwise, I would have expected it to be more food and water oriented - fishing gear, a purifier, trapping stuff, etc. and more stuff around warmth - wool blankets and a heftier supply of tinder etc. (though I couldn't really see your fire-making stash).

As it is, it seems really bulky, and I found myself wondering if you'd ever actually tested it - have you taken just the bag and headed out for a few days? I think that would be the best way to figure out what rocks and what isn't worth carrying.

Myself, I'd throw some coffee and Jim Beam in there too. Gotta keep morale high, brother. ;)

Kinda lost on the rational for the stuff

1. say its a 72 hour bag, if its only that it seems that there's almost too much stuff.
2. only 50rds of ammo
3. no real warm stuff, mentioned space blanket but those are thin and easily ripped.
4. whats the weight on it?

all the stuff seems to have a place but is it really all needed?

Looks good, id find ways to cut weight such as dumping the saw and machete(youve got the hatchet and a couple knives and multitools), combine first aid kits with just the essentials. You may find you need to carry more water and food, thats a lot of extra weight right there.

Very informative,

but terrible camera work.

whats wrong with the camera work?

Where's the sunglasses ?

there is actually a top pouch that is made specifically for them...we cut that part as video was getting too long

Do you have and sun screen or bug spray? I would loose the zombie knife, your Lmf and hatchet should be more than enough for fighting and chopping.

its in the bag...same as above comment...had to chop that part of video out

I guess it depends on what your goal is. If it's just to get out for 72 hours, then it's probably ok; otherwise, I would have expected it to be more food and water oriented - fishing gear, a purifier, trapping stuff, etc. and more stuff around warmth - wool blankets and a heftier supply of tinder etc. (though I couldn't really see your fire-making stash).

As it is, it seems really bulky, and I found myself wondering if you'd ever actually tested it - have you taken just the bag and headed out for a few days? I think that would be the best way to figure out what rocks and what isn't worth carrying.

Myself, I'd throw some coffee and Jim Beam in there too. Gotta keep morale high, brother. ;)

theres a CASE of cliff bars in there believe it or not...water purification tabs up the wazoo and a shit load of fire making stuff...but yes...i should throw some jim beam in there :)

theres a CASE of cliff bars in there believe it or not...water purification tabs up the wazoo and a shit load of fire making stuff...but yes...i should throw some jim beam in there :)

Right, but a case of clif bars and purification tabs are not a strategy for maintaining indefinitely. If you quite literally had to bug out, you don't know how long you'll be out there - and eating white pine fiber gets pretty ****in old after about twice. Snares, fish hooks (paracord innards will work for line), yo-yos, and skinning stuff. How does that gerber work for skinning/filleting?

I would also recommend a few extra bandanas. They work fantastic for signaling, wound dressing, tourniquets, filtering particulates (through water or through your nose), and looking like a general badass.

Have you taken the bag out in the woods for a few days?

Hey DRFTraining…nice post with a lot of options to consider. A couple items in my go bag that you might, IMHO, consider for inclusion are the following:

Cash in small bills. Everyone’s go bag cash allotment will be different based on their situation, but for me, I presume credit/debit cards will not be accepted/functional/ATMs cash depleted. My go cash is in 1, 5 and 10 dollar units to avoid “I don’t have change for a 20” issues. My cash total accounts for (3) full gas tank fills and my personal needs assessment of what I think is required for food purchase, lodging, and *things* along the way – based on your same bug-out time window of 72 hours. Understood, the relative spend (or ability to spend) this money for items referenced will be very different in a Katrina type event vs WROL where all bets are off. My go cash planning is based specifically on addressing a Katrina type event.

Old school road map for 360 perimeter assessment of my best and alternative evacuation routes. I also presume electronic maps on iPhone/GPS will be nonfunctional. For me, a paper road map is essential to safe navigation away from trouble.

And lastly, my hard copy print out of every essential bank/credit/investment/insurance/medical, etc., etc., account number, username/password, institution location/contact information. This information, along with Passports, are stored in a Pelican case.

…throw in my camping gear bag already packed and sitting at the ready containing many of the items you’ve already identified and I’m feeling pretty prepared to go.

Best--

PS: +1 with DRRansom - absolutely a bottle of Jim Beam ; )

Last edited:
I thought a 3 day bug out bag was something to help you with some necessities should you find yourself having to leave home unexpectedly in a rush. So unless you live in some of the very desolate areas of the plain and intermountain west or in some serious eastern backwoods, I see a lot of inefficiency and dead weight in your kit.

I like CrushItLikeQuint's kit.

1 fixed blade, 1 machete, 2 multi-tools, 1 saw, 1 hatchet, 1 e-tool, 2 med kits, a fire starting kit the size of most go bags, 100 feet of rope, & 100 feet of paracord, a metal cup that will melt through gloves and burn the shit out of your hands if actually used to cook with / heat water. Cliff bars? Seriously.

How much does it weigh?

I'm guessing you don't spend much time in the woods. [wink]

Seriously, though... everyone can argue all they want on the internet about what works and what doesn't. The best thing to do is go out for 72 hours with that kit and cover at least 20 miles of ground in a couple of different weather scenarios. You'll ditch half the shit in that kit the first time out, and figure out what you need to add. Plus it's a good time if you do it with a couple of buddies who are learning this stuff for the first time, too.

Thoroughly disagree. I skimmed the thread, most of those testing links are defunct, and many aren't even tests (superiority is not "proven" because the knife can cut a bullet?). Really seems like this guy has a lot of good to say about them, but then, it is his business...he's not going to say much bad about them, eh? ;)

I'll take an A2 Bark River blade into the woods with me any day over one of these. I'm not a fan of stainless steels, really - even the best corrode too fast. Same goes for 01 and even O2 (depending on how they are fashioned). Though, if they are convex ground, that would be a point in their favor...are they? He mentions stropping on a ceramic stick...

- - - Updated - - -

The best thing to do is go out for 72 hours with that kit and cover at least 20 miles of ground in a couple of different weather scenarios. You'll ditch half the shit in that kit the first time out, and figure out what you need to add. Plus it's a good time if you do it with a couple of buddies who are learning this stuff for the first time, too.

That's what I've been saying. Though I think I disagree with you on the metal cup thing - those are essential. If you can't boil water, you're at a huge disadvantage...

That's what I've been saying. Though I think I disagree with you on the metal cup thing - those are essential. If you can't boil water, you're at a huge disadvantage...

If you have to boil water, then get a cup with the insulated teflon grips. If you've actually used the cup he has in that bag on an emergency stove, then you'll have the scars on your fingers to prove it.

Also, boiling water is absolutely unnecessary for a BOB / 72 kit. The Aqua Potable iodine tablets work fine for sterilizing water, and they also include a neutralizing tablet that reduces the iodine taste. Packing MH pro-packs or BPC dehydrated meals greatly reduces weight, and if you pour water into them an hour or two in advance of eating them, they'll rehydrate perfectly fine without having to boil. BPC meals have a higher calorie to weight issue, but if you're really moving fast you'll find you have to force yourself to eat because you'll be so exhausted and stressed. 1 pouch a day at 2,800 cals is sufficient and each weighs less than 1/2 lb.

Ditch the stove, the cup, etc. Remember, this is a 72 hour bag in a survival scenario, not a homesteading kit. A hot meal is a luxury. Ditch all the fire equipment and all the blades except the folder in your pocket, too. A Bic is fine, and if you're making a fire, you're an idiot asking to get killed anyway. Fast and light, freeze at night. A good 72 emergency bag shouldn't weigh more than 15 lbs, and that will cover three seasons anywhere in NE.

Last edited:
If you have to boil water, then get a cup with the insulated teflon grips. If you've actually used the cup he has in that bag on an emergency stove, then you'll have the scars on your fingers to prove it.

I've used the little foldout arms on similar cups to boil water on emergency stoves many times, no scars. Are you sure you're doing it right? ;)

Also, boiling water is absolutely unnecessary for a BOB / 72 kit.
Remember, this is a 72 hour bag in a survival scenario, not a homesteading kit. A hot meal is a luxury. Ditch all the fire equipment and all the blades except the folder in your pocket, too. A Bic is fine, and if you're making a fire, you're an idiot asking to get killed anyway. Fast and light, freeze at night. A good 72 emergency bag shouldn't weigh more than 15 lbs, and that will cover three seasons anywhere in NE.

Wouldn't argue the boiling for 72, that's easy enough, or the luxury of a hot meal. But I don't think that "BOB" and "72-hour kit" are interchangeable terms. As I said before, if you're getting the **** out of dodge, you don't know that you're going to be back in dodge in 72-hours. And completely disagree on the fire (and extra blade). Fire is going to be essential - unless we only bug out on sunny days in the summer...and that extra blade could likely be critical, especially if your main is a folder.

1 fixed blade, 1 machete, 2 multi-tools, 1 saw, 1 hatchet, 1 e-tool, 2 med kits, a fire starting kit the size of most go bags, 100 feet of rope, & 100 feet of paracord, a metal cup that will melt through gloves and burn the shit out of your hands if actually used to cook with / heat water. Cliff bars? Seriously.

How much does it weigh?

I'm guessing you don't spend much time in the woods. [wink]

Seriously, though... everyone can argue all they want on the internet about what works and what doesn't. The best thing to do is go out for 72 hours with that kit and cover at least 20 miles of ground in a couple of different weather scenarios. You'll ditch half the shit in that kit the first time out, and figure out what you need to add. Plus it's a good time if you do it with a couple of buddies who are learning this stuff for the first time, too.

What would you know about spending time in the woods [wink]

I agree on ditching most of that, except always have a spare knife and some waterproof matches. If its only a 72 hour bag, get a jetboil and a single fuel canister will outlast that no problem, so you have a hot meal without a big fire thats easy to spot. If its a bug bag, get a small pot with folding handle that packs easily and is lightweight.

That cup has fold out handles and is sized to fit a nalgene bottle. I have & use one with no scars.

I'd drop the hatchet & keep the saw. Anything thicker than 3 inches is better processed with a saw. Anything smaller can be dealt with using the Big knife. Personally I'd swap both the Gerber and the Zombie knife for a full size Kabar - splitting the difference in size. Those of you with Busse knives propably have Unimogs and Cessna's to carry them.

I like maps. Paper ones. If you end up in Maine you can use Rhode Island for fire starting. Of course a couple of compasses.

I also have a small draw string bag with toothbrush , paste , liquid soap , razor , and a ShamWow - made in Germany. Those Germans make good stuff...

Coffee. If the world ends before I have had coffee it's just gonna hafta wait , dammit.

From now until May the biggest danger outdoors is the cold. More warm stuff.

And completely disagree on the fire (and extra blade). Fire is going to be essential - unless we only bug out on sunny days in the summer...

I have spent many an overnight in the winter outdoors without fire. And I did say toss a couple of Bic lighters in there in case you absolutely need to make a fire. The whole flint & steel, soaked cotton balls, char clothe stuff is stupid in a BOB. Sure, it's fun, neat stuff to know, but it's 19th century homesteading equipment and not something you need to carry.

Go ahead and make a nice, bright, warm fire during a real bug out situation. Can you do me a favor though? Pack a fifth of Jack and a couple of Perdomo's. I enjoy a stiff drink and a good smoke after slitting someone's throat with my folder. [wink]

Go ahead and make a nice, bright, warm fire during a real bug out situation. Can you do me a favor though? Pack a fifth of Jack and a couple of Perdomo's. I enjoy a stiff drink and a good smoke after slitting someone's throat with my folder. [wink]

How are you going to slit my throat if you can't boil water without burning your hands? ;)

Joking aside, of course if you believe that someone is tracking you a fire is not a good idea, and of course I have also spent many winter nights out with no fire. The last time, in fact, I was in northern NY, and there was no snow, so it was extra cold. That sucked. Always amazes me how fast your metabolism changes in that kind of exposure.

But IMO, fire-making is a higher priority. As long as we're pretending it's a real bug out sitch, you can't pretend like you know when you'll be heading back into someplace cozy - fire-making would likely be the difference between life and death. Even if you just make a small one during the day to dry out your clothes. And what about any wife or kids? They will not be able to generate or retain heat, or be as efficient as you, and will require the warmth and morale, or that could be the end of them. So I guess as long as I'm pretending, I'm betting that I need more than a spare lighter or two to ensure that I have fire.

Another great point that this illustrates, though, is that these bags are not one-size-fits-all, they are quite personal. As you said earlier, the OP needs to take that bag out into the woods for a couple days and post back on how it worked, and what he'd change. I think there would be value there.

Last edited:
Katadyn water purifier (don't remember the model, it was around $90 online), Becker knife, mutitool (I think leatherman, could be a gerber tho), 5 lighters (BIC), 150 feet of 550, 2 maps, a compass, sleeping bag from REI, plastic tarp, poncho, 2 pair of socks, 2 pair of undies, A mossberg 500 JIC with 20 shells (in that waterproof container), a book, 10 packs of dried soup, pasta or rice meals, a little pot, a small transistor radio (handcrank), a headlight and spare batteries, a waterbottle from REI (The katadyn screws on there perfectly), a spork, a little medikit with some added tylenol, sunscreen and bugspray, a pair of gloves, some cash, one of these funky survival aluminum blankies. We're talking about 72 hours here, not the post apocalyptic thing where everybody is out to get you. For that case, I have a 100 liter Berghaus Ruck that is packed as if I'll never come back home again, and go to war.
Now, if only I could afford one of these polaris diesel 6 seaters, that would be a great vehicle to bug out with.

Last edited:
I hate to jump on you man, but that bag is just awful. I mean, my 11 week old daughter has a better survival bag that you.

The first thing I challenge a person to do when packing a survival bag is to define what the bag is intended to accomplish, and (more importantly) what a bag is NOT intended to accomplish. Too many people just start throwing gear into a bag because it’s cool or they somehow can rationalize how they ‘might’ need it, but there is little in the way of overall planning. In the end you end up with a lot of odds and ends in an ungodly heavy bag, but lack the ability to really achieve any objective.

That’s what you’ve got here. It really looks like you went walking through a military surplus store and just starting throwing shit into a bag. You have a half dozen various blades and tools (you go, Rambo), plenty of rope and carabineers (Charlie Bronson), enough fire starting equipment to keep a pyro happy, two first aid kits, an unopened survival pouch inside your survival pouch, a shitty $10 camping stove I’m sure you’ve never actually used, and a box of ammo.

What are you missing? Water? A tiny bottle, no actual water. Food? Snack food that will last one day, maybe, and the wrong kind of food at that (and nothing you actually cook on the camp stove you have). Shelter? Maybe you could fashion a shitty tent with a tarp, make a jacket out of a garbage bag and wrap yourself in a fold up emergency blanket, but I’d prefer a tent, sleeping bag and long underwear. Those are just the big 3, but the list of stuff you could or should have is infinite. But I can’t even start that list, because I have no idea what you’re trying to achieve here.

You keep mentioned “end of the world type stuff.” No person is every going to survive the end of the world with a single backpack, no matter what you put in it. You can’t pack a bag for the end for the world. And if you’re planning for the end of the world but haven’t figure out what to bring with you if your house floods, you’ve skipped plan A, B and C and jumped to plan Z. Again, identify your objective and try to achieve it, don’t just dump gear in a bag.

Also, don't you live in Woburn? Where is this woods you keep talking about? I love this idea that as soon as things get scary, everyone is going to suddenly evacuate their suburban homes and go running into desolation wilderness...

Full disclosure. I did not watch the video. THe argument in the thread was too good.

I am not an expert, and I don't play one on TV.

But....what I'd suggest is to build your BOB....then use it.

As I've suggested in other threads, until you've actually used the stuff, in a situation close to the intended purpose, you are just guessing. Now....I'm not saying that we should have an NES Death Match Survival Campout, to see if you can use folders on peope with campfires, but if you think that your BOB will allow you to thrive for 72 hours off-grid, then test it.

We have a storm coming, maybe.....make it GO TIME! The Zombiepocalypse may not start on a nice day.

[laugh]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom