• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Body armor/Tactical plate carrier

My vest should have been retired years ago, so I'm shopping. I've been doing some reading, but figured I'd just come here for some advice.

I don't know much about the topic, but I'm really leaning towards a tactical plate carrier for home defense or SHTF. My other consideration is something concealable, but I don't know what the practicality of that would be. With the exception of 2A rallies and the like, would I ever wear/need it?

A plate carrier seems like it would give me more options in a situation where I would really need it and if the SHTF I would imagine it would be what you'd want. I look at it, perhaps wrongly, like a fire extinguisher that I would incorporate into my training but probably never really need.

Thoughts? Experiences? Suggestions? Any particular manufacturer or style I should be looking at? I'm very unfamiliar with the current market.

Thanks!

I have a Banshee and a SKD PIG Brig setup. The Pig Brig is more modular and has more options. The banshee is pretty basic and is my work plate carrier.

Good to see you on here. Hope all is well.

The crye jpc line is pretty tough to beat. Its good enough for ranger battI for DA use, but its also low profike enough you could wear it slick and notvstand out.

There are definitely better options for low pro armor carriers, but the jpc can do both.

I went back in my emails and found the plates. They were from "The Target Man, LLC" with the description "(2) FORMED AR500 Omega Armor FORMED 10″x12″ Plate Set – RHINO LINED FOR PROVEN FRAG PROTECTION." So I spent $67 on the carrier and $160 on the plates. FWIW.

Figure out your ideal plate model/size and order them ASAP. Waits range from 4-12 weeks and beyond. The most common sizing spec is SAPI and most carriers are designed to fit their dimensions, including the Crye JPC 2.0:

SAPIFinal.png
Armor, Thorax, Anterior.jpg
Armor, Thorax, Posterior.jpg

So, if I measured correctly from center nipple to center nipple is 12" and the bottom of my rib cage is 14". Does that mean I should be looking at 11x14 or 10x12?

So, if I measured correctly from center nipple to center nipple is 12" and the bottom of my rib cage is 14". Does that mean I should be looking at 11x14 or 10x12?

The 11x14 is SAPI size XL (see post 8) and sounds close to the dimensions you describe for yourself, maybe an inch narrow but "center nipple" varies among people and it might be right for you. I've also heard many say to err on the smaller side to maximize mobility and not feel like a turtle. The 10x12 is non-SAPI sizing (civilian market invention) which you can make work but less likely to fit most carriers as well; might have to force a carrier dimension that's too tight or deal with bouncing around in a carrier dimension that's too large. Some roll a towel as a spacer when they have SAPI carrier and non-SAPI plates. I'd prefer just to have them match and fit like a glove.

If you want to eval size further, try cutting cardboard in the dimensions of SAPI XL. Tape it to the front of a tight t-shirt, packing tape across the belly and against the sides, top of the plate at your sternal notch like the diagram shows. Then bend, twist, turn, bring arms out for isosceles pistol stance, shoulder a rifle. Remember this is thinner than plates will be. Does this size impede your ability to move or force the cardboard to buckle? If so you might want a size down. Feels a little silly but you want to be confident when spending hundreds/thousands and waiting months. If only you had somebody with plates to try on!

I went back in my emails and found the plates. They were from "The Target Man, LLC" with the description "(2) FORMED AR500 Omega Armor FORMED 10″x12″ Plate Set – RHINO LINED FOR PROVEN FRAG PROTECTION." So I spent $67 on the carrier and $160 on the plates. FWIW.

I have the same ones from the same era in a Banshee. Just dusted them off this afternoon for the first time in a long time.

Last edited:
I am a little late to the discussion, but to add to it:

I have a 5.11 tactec carrier. have been doing a lot of running + sandbag walks with it and plates and 4 mags. so far it is EXTREMELY comfortable, especially shoulder pads.

I have spent 8-10 hours in it on the range training, and held up really well.

this year also picked up the JPC 2.0 to check it out - I am a 46+ chest and an XL was too large (had to RMA to LG). it is minimalist, does the job well, but not as comfortable as a tactec

I am a little late to the discussion, but to add to it:

I have a 5.11 tactec carrier. have been doing a lot of running + sandbag walks with it and plates and 4 mags. so far it is EXTREMELY comfortable, especially shoulder pads.

I have spent 8-10 hours in it on the range training, and held up really well.

this year also picked up the JPC 2.0 to check it out - I am a 46+ chest and an XL was too large (had to RMA to LG). it is minimalist, does the job well, but not as comfortable as a tactec

Thanks. There are just so many options out there.

dont go cheap, you will probably regret it in the long term. there is actually a huge difference between a 50 dollar carrier and a 150 one. tactec will run you about 200 and you have plenty of options for mag pouches (molle is molle).

JPC 2.0 is more of a luxury - looks nice, but limited to their specific addons. I am not sure I like the full flap over the 3 mag pouch so far. doing a carbine course in a week, so will try there

5.11 stores in Saugus/Braintree should have tactec in stock to try, and also Cape Gun Works has some different ones on sale as well

dont go cheap, you will probably regret it in the long term. there is actually a huge difference between a 50 dollar carrier and a 150 one. tactec will run you about 200 and you have plenty of options for mag pouches (molle is molle).

JPC 2.0 is more of a luxury - looks nice, but limited to their specific addons. I am not sure I like the full flap over the 3 mag pouch so far. doing a carbine course in a week, so will try there

5.11 stores in Saugus/Braintree should have tactec in stock to try, and also Cape Gun Works has some different ones on sale as well

Thanks. I never make it down to Saugus since I moved to God's country, but I may make a run over there. The JPC looks great and is highly recommended, but it does seem to have limited options. Right now I have no idea which direction I'm going with it, and probably won't know until I start setting it up. The option to conceal it that some PCs have is attractive, but realistically I'm not sure if I'll ever use it like that. My initial thought is that if I'm throwing on plates, I'm not that worried about concealment.

Thanks. I never make it down to Saugus since I moved to God's country, but I may make a run over there. The JPC looks great and is highly recommended, but it does seem to have limited options. Right now I have no idea which direction I'm going with it, and probably won't know until I start setting it up. The option to conceal it that some PCs have is attractive, but realistically I'm not sure if I'll ever use it like that. My initial thought is that if I'm throwing on plates, I'm not that worried about concealment.

Remember those plates can be easily slipped from one carrier to another. If budget allows, why not order a JPC 2.0 now and then take your time finding a slicker one? Have your overt and covert carriers, and always a backup if you puke on one. Seriously.

Though you might not care if PHTC when you've already got SHTF.

Remember those plates can be easily slipped from one carrier to another. If budget allows, why not order a JPC 2.0 now and then take your time finding a slicker one? Have your overt and covert carriers, and always a backup if you puke on one. Seriously.

Though you might not care if PHTC when you've already got SHTF.

That's one thing I was considering. Right now I'm leaning towards either going the route you mentioned with the JPC 2.0 or slickster. I can still load those out and play around with what I like, train in it for a it, then keep it if I like it or go for what I know I like and use this for grey man. The other thing I'm kicking around is picking up a less expensive one, kick it around a bit, then getting a quality PC when I know what I want/sizing.

Are you still in NH?

This place is in Salem, they have some stuff that you can actually put hands on.

I have had a Ferro Concepts Slickster for a few years. I like it but it spends most of its time collecting dust on a shelf in my mudroom, with most of the useless tactical crap I have. If I needed, I'll be glad i have it.

I'm glad to see an other OG kicking around here again. [cheers]

That's one thing I was considering. Right now I'm leaning towards either going the route you mentioned with the JPC 2.0 or slickster. I can still load those out and play around with what I like, train in it for a it, then keep it if I like it or go for what I know I like and use this for grey man. The other thing I'm kicking around is picking up a less expensive one, kick it around a bit, then getting a quality PC when I know what I want/sizing.

Training is my biggest motivator. I'm going to have two carriers just so one can get all the sweat, dirt, and grass stains. The other one I'll wear in situations that might get me on the news or in front of a jury. Clothes make the man.

Are you still in NH?

This place is in Salem, they have some stuff that you can actually put hands on.

I have had a Ferro Concepts Slickster for a few years. I like it but it spends most of its time collecting dust on a shelf in my mudroom, with most of the useless tactical crap I have. If I needed, I'll be glad i have it.

I'm glad to see an other OG kicking around here again. [cheers]

I am. Salem is a bit of a haul, but it would be worth it if I can save time and aggravation buying the wrong size or style. I fully expect mine will be sitting around collecting dust except for training. At least I hope it is, because the alternative isn't pleasant.

I don't know where you are in NH? PM me if you'd like.

Any suggestions for a modern set of rifle plates that won't weigh 20lbs? Ceramic or polyethylene? I have a set of AR500s but am wondering if I can do significantly better on weight and protection without going much about $500 for the plates.

~6lbs per plate is pretty nice. Price isn't bad either.
I'm very curious about the Costa Ludis cuts, I plan on ordering one on Monday when they re-stock. I appreciate the company's model. The price you see is the price you pay and you don't have to worry about add-ons and build-up bed-liner fees. If you pick out an 80$ plate on AR500's page it winds up being 150 once it winds up in your cart.

Back
Top Bottom