• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Body armor/Tactical plate carrier

Are helmets expensive? Just out of curiosity. IMO showing up with a colander on your head sends a more desirable message.

Both are mediums one is a S/M ach helmet

Second is a hard head veterans Medium if you check their website it shows measurements good quality helmet but with my small egg and nods it just moves to much

My vest should have been retired years ago, so I'm shopping. I've been doing some reading, but figured I'd just come here for some advice.

I don't know much about the topic, but I'm really leaning towards a tactical plate carrier for home defense or SHTF. My other consideration is something concealable, but I don't know what the practicality of that would be. With the exception of 2A rallies and the like, would I ever wear/need it?

A plate carrier seems like it would give me more options in a situation where I would really need it and if the SHTF I would imagine it would be what you'd want. I look at it, perhaps wrongly, like a fire extinguisher that I would incorporate into my training but probably never really need.

Thoughts? Experiences? Suggestions? Any particular manufacturer or style I should be looking at? I'm very unfamiliar with the current market.

Thanks!

I went with a BFC Plateminus because of the no frills, clean look. Less weight which is a big thing for me since I have a heart problem.

I got it during their close out sale prior to the revised version being release - $99 out the door.

Not my pic but this is what I have with 8x10 AR1000 plates from HighCom.

IMG_9189-400x600.jpg

Last edited:
if someone doesn't want to break the bank and wants a lightly used PC and lives in/near bristol county i got a raptor tactical PC for 50 bucks, also got a ACH PXL_20201012_225111038.jpg helmet

To swimmer cut or triple curve?

Edit: NM; I struggled finding a swimming carrier so went with the JPC 2 and a Hoplite SAPI level IV. Both already shipped.

Last edited:
JPC 2 arrived today, damn that was fast for normal times let alone this Wuhan shit.

Plates come Wednesday which will allow me to swap between the JPC and the Pig Brig.

Any suggestions for the JPC rear zip panel?Or keep it naked & wear a normal pack?

Any suggestions for the JPC rear zip panel?Or keep it naked & wear a normal pack?

I'd rather keep the back zippers naked and wear a pack. Lets you sit back more comfortably in a chair or vehicle. Lets you access things without taking off your PC or asking a buddy to dig in it. Lets you drop weight if you need to hustle and that four pounds of water isn't an immediate priority.

I am likely going to order a Crye JPC today. The 1.0 seems widely available in my size. Looks like if I want the 2.0 I would need to wait a considerable amount of time (unless I get the “swimmers cut”).

since this is my first PC, could someone advise the best course of action for me given the current circumstances? What are the differences between the 1.0 and 2.0 that I should be considering?

I am likely going to order a Crye JPC today. The 1.0 seems widely available in my size. Looks like if I want the 2.0 I would need to wait a considerable amount of time (unless I get the “swimmers cut”).

since this is my first PC, could someone advise the best course of action for me given the current circumstances? What are the differences between the 1.0 and 2.0 that I should be considering?

As I recall it comes down to a drag handle and customization. The 2.0 has an additional drag/carry handle and zippers on the back for adding/changing zip-on panels. I went with the 2.0 just for the carry handle and to leave the option open for adding a pack later. Downside, the 2.0 doesn't include the front flap ("AVS detachable MOLLE flap," $40).

Evike's 2.0s are currently estimated Dec or Jan shipping depending on the color/size. Do you have plates yet?

ETA: Evike actually has a couple colors of L and XL in stock now.

Last edited:
As I recall it comes down to a drag handle and customization. The 2.0 has an additional drag/carry handle and zippers on the back for adding/changing zip-on panels. I went with the 2.0 just for the carry handle and to leave the option open for adding a pack later. Downside, the 2.0 doesn't include the front flap ("AVS detachable MOLLE flap," $40).

Evike's 2.0s are currently estimated Dec or Jan shipping depending on the color/size. Do you have plates yet?

No plates yet. I realize that all these different PC’s require different plates, so I wanted to get the PC first, because I can at least use it without plates, as opposed to having plates but no carrier. Gonna buy those after I choose the PC. Thanks for the info, has me leaning toward the 2.0.

Be sure you figure out your plate size first, then order the right size carrier. I saved these diagrams since it comes up so frequently. These are SAPI dimensions corresponding to the JPC 1.0/2.0 sizes (and most PCs on the market).

Armor, Thorax, Anterior.jpg

Armor, Thorax, Posterior.jpg

SAPI Sizing.png

Posted in the tactical gear thread but reposting here for anyone wanting some slick custom patches.

Got some nice laser-cut custom patches from a Spanish outfit called Tactical Freaky. Chose black/IR backing out of their numerous options. The cuts and stitching are impeccable. Shipped 1 day after ordering, held up a few days in customs, received 11 days after ordering. Highly recommended.

View attachment 405190
View attachment 405191
View attachment 405192

I rather have plates with no PC than the other way around. You can use plates with no PC. Get the correct size plate that you need for your body and then get the corresponding PC.

This. If you are a large in SAPI size, get large SAPI plates and find a PC you like. Or two.

Last edited:
Just starting with Plates and carriers and will add pouches etc. First aid kit, decent knife, flash light etc.
Shown here loaded with more ammo than I will ever carry. I am thinking about a chest mounted holster. I am not going on maneuvers and if I ever grab this thing it will be because rioting and looting has come to the suburbs.
I will likely order additional plates at some point, but these are Level 4 ceramic rated to take multiple rifle hits up to 30-06 and 5.56 green tips.

Yeah I went with black. If I ever feel the need I can always rattle can it.

1605943166721.png

Just starting with Plates and carriers and will add pouches etc. First aid kit, decent knife, flash light etc.
Shown here loaded with more ammo than I will ever carry. I am thinking about a chest mounted holster. I am not going on maneuvers and if I ever grab this thing it will be because rioting and looting has come to the suburbs.
I will likely order additional plates at some point, but these are Level 4 ceramic rated to take multiple rifle hits up to 30-06 and 5.56 green tips.

View attachment 413697
What are the specs on that if you don’t mind?
Is that their Rampage2.0?
Mag carriers and placard are add ons?
Which plates did you end up getting?
Tx

View attachment 413697
You don’t want rifle mags under your arms like that. Move them to the front, or get a belt to put rifle pouches on. From the little I’ve worn mine I can already tell once you start moving around with it, anything you’d want immediately, you can only really grab from the front quickly. Leave less likely to be accessed stuff for the sides.

What are the specs on that if you don’t mind?
Is that their Rampage2.0?
Mag carriers and placard are add ons?
Which plates did you end up getting?
Tx

Yes - That is the Rampage 2.0.
The plates are Level IV - 4S17 ceramic

I will likely add different plates in the future. It's pretty good protection for the money. They do offer more affordable options as well . FWIW Optics Planet does offer their stuff for about twenty bucks less, but the lead times are 6-12 weeks. I ordered that on a Sunday and had it Thursday.
Mag carriers and placards are sold separate and like I said, I am just getting started. I will order a decent IFAK and a few pouches this weekend.

Last edited:
You don’t want rifle mags under your arms like that. Move them to the front, or get a belt to put rifle pouches on. From the little I’ve worn mine I can already tell once you start moving around with it, anything you’d want immediately, you can only really grab from the front quickly. Leave less likely to be accessed stuff for the sides.

Took the set up to the range this morning and was actually pretty surprised at how well I was able to move and shoot with it on.
Fully loaded with mags like that it's pretty heavy too, but I don't plan on keeping six mags on it. I had no problem accessing the mags on the two pouches closest to the front as you suggested.
I may change my mind, but wasn't thinking about a belt. The whole idea for this rig really is to keep it handy to put on very quickly if needed.
A quick note about sizing. They list it as one size fits most. I'm a big guy. 6'1" and 248 lbs. Not skinny obviously, but not fat with a big gut either. 38" waist and 50" chest.
I don't think it would fit people much bigger than me. I have it pretty close to maxed out and it really fits well and is comfortable.

0C3D8D3C-AEDA-45CA-9FF4-E0AD696EA920.jpeg . Nothing flashy here but it works for me. Condor PC, LA Police Gear lvl 3 ceramics, light and easy to move around in. I’m loving the admin pouch below the mags, I might ditch the side pouch since I don’t need to really stash anything more than what’s in the other pouch which is IFAK, multi tool and some chem lights.

Question for the NES brain trust. I know level iv ceramic can stop mutiple hits from most rifle rounds, but what about 12 ga slugs. I find conflicting info that it will stop them, and yeah it will stop them, but the impact will kill you.
Anyone know?

Back
Top Bottom