• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Body Cams for Cops: For or against?

Body Cams for Cops?

• Yes to body Cams at all interactions.

Votes: 137 91.3%
  • No to body cams at any interation.

Votes: 13 8.7%

• Total voters
Of course! What could go wrong!

And then, I won't put a dash cam in my vehicles. I won't because I refuse to give evidence against myself.

But cops lie, (I know for a fact), they lie constantly and consistently. And if we want to be charitable, we could say they misremember. Either way, a video record sure would help a jury.

Of course! What could go wrong!

And then, I won't put a dash cam in my vehicles. I won't because I refuse to give evidence against myself.

But cops lie, (I know for a fact), they lie constantly and consistently. And if we want to be charitable, we could say they misremember. Either way, a video record sure would help a jury.

This

They have proved that they cannot be trusted time and time again. Not only do they need cameras; they need tamper proof cameras. That way that they cannot turn them on and off at will.

Because of the 4th Amendment Rights of "suspects", and because the 5th Amendment doesn't apply to Cops acting as agents of the Government, they must wear body cameras.

I'd like to hear someone explain why they would be against one.

1) The Public will not have control the evidence, so what's the point?

2) A vast majority of cop interactions don't result in actionable offences, ie Traffic Warnings. Would cops be inclined to give tickets if there was video???

- - - Updated - - -

Because of the 4th Amendment Rights of "suspects", and because the 5th Amendment doesn't apply to Cops acting as agents of the Government, they must wear body cameras.

Wha?

2) A vast majority of cop interactions don't result in actionable offences, ie Traffic Warnings. Would cops be inclined to give tickets if there was video???

- - - Updated - - -

Wha?

I don't think a cop should be able to remain silent about an incident in which he is being accused of violating rights, although he certainly could lie about it. Cameras make this easier to know the truth.

I haven't figured out an appropriate answer to number 1 yet. As to 2, probably, but if that is the price of increasing accountability and reducing "contempt of cop" aggression so be it.

This

They have proved that they cannot be trusted time and time again. Not only do they need cameras; they need tamper proof cameras. That way that they cannot turn them on and off at will.

And if an incident happens, and the camera was mysteriously "off" or "malfunctioned", or they "can't find the recording", we should automatically believe the non-cop who was interacting with him unless other evidence proves otherwise. Make it a law or something, cop's testimony tossed out if he somehow can't keep a cam operating. It should be quick and easy for the public or a lawyer to acquire any recording relevant to a case. Of course, this will never happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Wha?

I would be fine with this. It might give some motivation to have reasonable speed limits rather than some of the ones that only serve to generate revenue.

I have mixed feelings about this. Here's why (see 2 above):

- When I was on the job (PT as it was) I frequently cut the person a break if they weren't being a-holes. A video of what occurred would likely have resulted on my being called on the carpet and ordered not to do that anymore.
- Officer's discretion pretty much goes away when superiors can review what you did and Monday Morning Quarterback you.
- On the other hand it is very useful when something serious goes down - to prove or disprove that the action taken was appropriate or illegal!

It's a quandary, so I'm not voting on either side.

On 2 above, yes I do believe that there will be fewer warnings with cameras than there are today, and many more tickets given out. Which if you protest in court, that evidence will lead to a lot more "responsible" findings in court.

I'd like to hear someone explain why they would be against one.

because they take the subjectiveness out of situations. no more he said she said in court which could go in your favor.

but, clearly there are many good reasons for them as well. Im all for them if the dept. pays for them, but my town wants to ovveride an old bylaw to raise a tax to pay for them, I'm all set with that part lol

How about the footage from the body cam cannot be reviewed unless there is an arrest, the officer discharges his firearm or taser, an internal affairs investigation or if a charge of police brutality has been made?

- When I was on the job (PT as it was) I frequently cut the person a break if they weren't being a-holes. A video of what occurred would likely have resulted on my being called on the carpet and ordered not to do that anymore.
- Officer's discretion pretty much goes away when superiors can review what you did and Monday Morning Quarterback you.
- On the other hand it is very useful when something serious goes down - to prove or disprove that the action taken was appropriate or illegal!

On 2 above, yes I do believe that there will be fewer warnings with cameras than there are today, and many more tickets given out. Which if you protest in court, that evidence will lead to a lot more "responsible" findings in court.

That's a really excellent point. If we could get rid of malum prohibitum laws, this problem would be greatly alleviated but that's not realistic in the near future.

I don't want to foot the bill required to outfit every cop with one.. plus discretion might go the wayside. I do like the idea, especially to have video rolling when their is a firearm unholstered besides that not to keen.

Who are they going to pay to watch the video of every officer's shift? It's only going to be looked at if something of relevance occurs.

Well, many of us are on camera all day, every day at our jobs, jobs where it's actually possible for us to be fired, so I'm afraid the police won't find much sympathy on the topic.

My favorite thing about the body cams is listening to the cops stutter and stammer as they try to come out with a logical reason that they shouldn't have to wear them. Can't quite come out and admit you don't want to wear one because you don't want proof of kicking the shit out of someone without any cause.

I would LOVE a body cam. It would have prevented so many degenerate losers from being taken seriously by my administration, and raking me over the coals for some fabricated BULLSHIT. Can't wait for one. I do my job professionally, and can't wait to laugh in some losers face who lies about an interaction... Because I don't.

I want them so when the percentage of non-violent encounters becomes obvious, people will stop with the whole 'cops just want to shoot people' BS will go away.

What I am afraid of: If the camera malfunctions, all the blowhards on the site will automatically resort to 'He must be trying to hide something'.

I want them so when the percentage of non-violent encounters becomes obvious, people will stop with the whole 'cops just want to shoot people' BS will go away.

What I am afraid of: If the camera malfunctions, all the blowhards on the site will automatically resort to 'He must be trying to hide something'.

You mean kind of like how some cops get all pissy when someone says they don't consent to a search of their car? [laugh]

To turn the phrase oft-quoted by police and prosecutors on its head: "If you're not doing anything wrong, what are you so worried about?"

You mean kind of like how some cops get all pissy when someone says they don't consent to a search of their car? [laugh]

No, I mean, they'll be produced by the lowest bidder. Instead of the most robust, we'll get crap that breaks when you look at it sideways.

So some here will just leap to OMGOMGOMGOMG he MUST be doing something wrong, if the video is off or some combination of failure in the system.

They would just create jobs for someone to sit there and sift through that stuff.

But in the wake of recent events I don't see how the public would be against this. Several shooting of unarmed people caught on video, another gang beating of a guy in California....people will probably stat to demand it. As for the kinks and "malfunctioning" cameras and such. Just another part of the process to be ironed out.

A lot of people are already recording some of these events. This would actually give another perspective. In the case of the Ferguson shooting we would know exactly what the cop saw. Maybe not what he was thinking but definitely what he saw.

But probably in some cases you would have a witness view and a first hand event view.

And the public can already video interactions with police, so why shouldn't they get to record their interactions with the public?

And without dash cams they wouldn't have been able to film that show COPS. So in some cases video and audio technology has been used for a long time. And those cops know they are on camera and some do give warnings in certain circumstances....So I say let them have them. Plenty of video already out there. You can't walk through Boston without everyone of your steps being tracked now...I'm sure there are a lot more cameras pointed at those sidewalks now since the Marathon event.

I don't want to foot the bill required to outfit every cop with one.. plus discretion might go the wayside. I do like the idea, especially to have video rolling when their is a firearm unholstered besides that not to keen.

And just who do you think is footing the bill for a lawsuit against the town? Body cams work both way you know.

Back
Top Bottom