Bolt action .22's

Atlas

NES Member
I'm looking to pick up a couple .22 bolt action rifles, one for my daughter (7yrs this month) and one for myself, mainly for use with sub-sonic ammo that wont cycle semi-autos. My daughter likes the Crickett because of the blue (favorite color) laminated stock but a search has me leaning to convincing her to get the Savage Rascal with a blue synthetic stock. I'm going between a Savage Mark II BSVE and a CZ 455 Varmint Evolution. I do like the stainless spiral fluted barrel on the Savage but don't want to pass up a better shooter for looks if that's the case. Any feedback or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

WHat about a lever action? The best thing about them is that they will take almost any kind of .22 (short, long, long rifle)

I have a Ruger M77-22. Super nice rifle. I put a Nikon 4x scope on it and it's a tack driver. Might be a little pricey for a youth gun at 550+ but it will not disappoint!

savage MK II is nice rifle but the mags and mag retention system sort of suck. otherwise i like the rifle. it's a good choice but play around with the mags and mag release before you buy one. most of the models also lack iron sights and require an optic. I owned the BTVSS model with thumbhole stock. It was a great rifle but I got bored so sold it.

i don't own a CZ 452/455 but those are obviously spectacular rifles. whenever i visit Riley's in Hooksett I fondle a CZ 455 and ask myself why I'm waiting on this purchase.

don't overlook the marlin xt-22. also a great option for bolt action. tube or magazine fed options not sure why marlin goes with a 22" barrel. if they made the XT-22 with an 18" barrel it would be perfect.

I have the rascal for my daughter..... I shoot it also and for fun I will be scoping it and shooting it in 200 yard off hand league this winter.
The rascal is a nice little gun. Nice trigger for the price point. I can get nickel size groups at 50 yards with Aguila super extra, centerion target and CCI SV.
Only real down side to the rascal is they should just put a target rear sight on it.
Adjusting the rear factory sight is a PITA...I ended up installing a side mount and target rear sight. Other than that the sight works.
As for full size the CZs are nice and I would take a CZ over a savage

Iron sight use is a consideration.
I'm looking for something left handed.

Also there are many 5xx series 22s that a great shooters.
I have a 1942 remington 513t and a old Glenfield 25 I like to shoot

Here's my daughter's rascal with target sights. One thing about the rascal is its very light. I plan adding some weight to the cavity behind the recoil pad. It's just a little light and when you cycle the bolt they gun can flop around.

Last edited:
I have a CZ 455 in .22 and .17 that I love. I shoot it far more in .17, but it's a fantastic rifle regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHat about a lever action? The best thing about them is that they will take almost any kind of .22 (short, long, long rifle)

I have a couple of pumps that fit this bill, I would like to add a lever action sometime but want to stick with a bolt this time around.

savage MK II is nice rifle but the mags and mag retention system sort of suck. otherwise i like the rifle. it's a good choice but play around with the mags and mag release before you buy one. most of the models also lack iron sights and require an optic. I owned the BTVSS model with thumbhole stock. It was a great rifle but I got bored so sold it.

i don't own a CZ 452/455 but those are obviously spectacular rifles. whenever i visit Riley's in Hooksett I fondle a CZ 455 and ask myself why I'm waiting on this purchase.

don't overlook the marlin xt-22. also a great option for bolt action. tube or magazine fed options not sure why marlin goes with a 22" barrel. if they made the XT-22 with an 18" barrel it would be perfect.

I have the XT22, mag fed. It's very accurate. Mini mags in a 1.5" group at 100 yards all day.
I'd really like a .22 CZ though, after owning a larger caliber CZ, the fit and finish is excellent.

I have the XT22, mag fed. It's very accurate. Mini mags in a 1.5" group at 100 yards all day.
I'd really like a .22 CZ though, after owning a larger caliber CZ, the fit and finish is excellent.

i find this impressive for th xt.... what ammo

i find this impressive for th xt.... what ammo

I'm quite pleased with it. The ammo is CCI mini mags. With no wind, I get 1.5" groups at 100 yards (well, 92yd), benched, with a 3-9x Sweet-22 scope. I bet it can do better with subsonic.

The barrel came floated and I don't clean it except for an oil patch after shooting. Maybe I got lucky with a good one.

I have a compact Ruger American, a Marlin XT22, and Henry lever. I love them all but the Ruger will not shoot shorts, colibris, longs, etc. -- anything other than LRs -- since it is box fed and the others are tube. If shooting non-LR ammo is important, go with something tube fed. If it doesn't matter, then just about any offering by a major brand will meet your requirements. If you have a kid who is a lefty, go with a lever gun.

Back
Top Bottom