• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bolt Action analysis paralysis

peterk123

NES Member
I need some sound advise, or a slap to get me thinking straight again.

So I have the type and which cartridge; bolt action in a 308. Already picked up the stuff to start reloading it, so no turning back. Not saying I will not be adding a different one down the road.

Figured out which scope; Leupold VX 3i 3.5x10x40 CDS.

Now the rifle. Was going to be a Howa 1500. Can be had for $400 bucks, and has a very good reputation. Scope will be $400-450. Rings and base another $75. So for under $1000 I have a pretty nice setup.

Then I stumble on to the Randy Newberg Signature series. Howa 1500 with cerakoted barrel, with a muzzle brake and a screw on cap, HS Precision cerakoted stock, bedded barrel, and a VX 3I CDS scope. $1,600. Looks like a very nice setup.

Then there is the option of a Tikka T3x Superlite that can be had for $750. Stainless fluted barrel. I probably can find the scope for $400-450. Rings and base probably another $75. For around $1200 I probably have something similar to the Signature Series????

At this point I do not dare to do another search, for fear of finding other great options. What do you guys think? I have not found much in the way of reviews of the signature series, other than the Howa makes a very good gun. Could be over priced, I have no idea. Not sure what is better cerakote or stainless, or if just a blued barrel is more than enough. I have a stainless on my inline and it looks brand new, despite it being out in the rain and snow. I am pretty anal about keeping things clean and oiled though. For now this new gun would be for target, but it is intended to be dragged out west for hunts at some point.

I have read about bedding the barrel and understand the concept of it. Not sure how critical it is though and what is it worth. I know a lot of folks here have done it themselves.

Here are some links:

Thanks Pete

Tikka T3x Superlite Rifle

Howa Randy Newberg Gun Metal Gray Bolt Action Rifle - 308 Winchester - Item# 1535770

Leupold VX-3i Rifle Scope 3.5-10x 40mm Custom Dial System Wind-Plex

So I have the type and which cartridge; bolt action in a 308. Already picked up the stuff to start reloading it, so no turning back. Not saying I will not be adding a different one down the road.

Now the rifle. Was going to be a Howa 1500. Can be had for $400 bucks, and has a very good reputation. Scope will be $400-450. Rings and base another $75. So for under $1000 I have a pretty nice setup.

Then I stumble on to the Randy Newberg Signature series. Howa 1500 with cerakoted barrel, with a muzzle brake and a screw on cap, HS Precision cerakoted stock, bedded barrel, and a VX 3I CDS scope. $1,600. Looks like a very nice setup.

Then there is the option of a Tikka T3x Superlite that can be had for $750. Stainless fluted barrel. I probably can find the scope for $400-450. Rings and base probably another $75. For around $1200 I probably have something similar to the Signature Series????

At this point I do not dare to do another search, for fear of finding other great options. What do you guys think? I have not found much in the way of reviews of the signature series, other than the Howa makes a very good gun. Could be over priced, I have no idea. Not sure what is better cerakote or stainless, or if just a blued barrel is more than enough. I have a stainless on my inline and it looks brand new, despite it being out in the rain and snow. I am pretty anal about keeping things clean and oiled though. For now this new gun would be for target, but it is intended to be dragged out west for hunts at some point.

I have read about bedding the barrel and understand the concept of it. Not sure how critical it is though and what is it worth. I know a lot of folks here have done it themselves.

Here are some links:

Thanks Pete

Howa Randy Newberg Gun Metal Gray Bolt Action Rifle - 308 Winchester - Item# 1535770

Howa rifles are nothing special, in fact they are over rated. I would get the Tikka. I have that exact rifle and while I don’t hunt with it on the daily it’s my backup rifle. It’s very light and it’s something you can carry all day. Ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain.

I'm far from an authority but the last time I researched getting a bolt action rig to get started, my conclusion was that Tikka was a really strong value. If I had gone forward that would've been my choice but our use cases (and cosmetic preferences) may differ.

I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest bolt action rifles but I have a few friends and guys I know at my club that LOVE their Tikka's in 308 and 6.5CM.

Bergera HMR for out of the box, can use rem700 accessories. But for the most part it’s a nice rifle stock

tikka if you’re not gonna f*** with it and leave it alone for the most part

Remington 700 if your gonna tinker and change parts and accessories

Tikka and Bergaras are nice but are you hunting? Why the super light? For bench I’d consider a chassis. Rpr or some of the savage 10 offerings are sweet.

Been looking at the Tikkas based on the comments above. Well, those are some highly regarded guns. Looking at the Tikka t3x Superlite in in Stainless. Matched with the scope I have my eye on and I could end up with a great shooter. Use the money I save to buy a lot of powder and bullets to reload.

I saw the Howa 1500’s the lifetime warranty looks great but not being able to adjust the trigger without voiding the warranty won’t work for me. I just picked up a Tikka T3 Tac in 223 earlier this year. Mounted my scope. Adjusted the trigger down. Retorqued the action screws and went out to shoot 5 types of factory ammo to see what it liked. All 5 shot moa or better. I was sold. Just picked the round that fit my current application the best. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another Tikka.

Look for a used Remington 700 Varmint Special VS or VLS from the 1990's. Heavy barrel, 26" .308. Made when Remington produced quality firearms.

Look for a used Remington 700 Varmint Special VS or VLS from the 1990's. Heavy barrel, 26" .308. Made when Remington produced quality firearms.

I have one of these that I have not fired (it has been fired, just not by me) that I’d be willing to sell for pretty short money. It is not late 90s, I’d have to double check the year, but I think it was 2012. I upgraded the stock to a hogue stock. I have two scopes (with rings), a 3x9 and a 4x24 and the trigger has been replaced. PM me if you are interested.

FWIW, the Howa 1500 American Flag Chassis in .308 is on the cover of the November 2019 Guns&Ammo. I know nothing about Howa, but the article is positive, though most published reviews are.

Here are some links:

Thanks Pete

i would look deep into why the randy newberg model is "different" and if the same set up can be had with out royalties to randy?
Would it be a option to get the savage with easy change barrels? Then its a matter of barrel swap to save weight - target vs lighter hunting barrel?

Then of course. What are you expectations of accuracy.

my bolt guns are all military surplus and I suffer much like you.
when i think about a modern bolt gun to get i tend to look so long i end up talking myself out of it or buy something completely random like a 1960s S&W 38spl snub nose...for no real reason.

Back
Top Bottom