• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bolt action pistol/SBR

The concept is very similar to a Remington XP-100, but with a folding arm brace. What's old is new again. Also in similar category as a Thomson Contender. What's not to like? I can imagine this will not appeal to mall ninjas. [troll]

So.... Because I know NOTHING about nfa/sbr/pistol stuff... Do any armchair attorneys have input on how I'd go about something like this in this hold of a state?

So.... Because I know NOTHING about nfa/sbr/pistol stuff... Do any armchair attorneys have input on how I'd go about something like this in this hold of a state?

The hard part, I think, will be finding a virgin and/or pistol receiver. If it’s ever been a rifle, it can’t be a pistol.

Past that, short barrel + brace = handgun. Handgun = no tax stamp.

The hard part, I think, will be finding a virgin and/or pistol receiver. If it’s ever been a rifle, it can’t be a pistol.

I guess my question is, if you are buying everything new, then none of that matters right?

I guess my question is, if you are buying everything new, then none of that matters right?

I just don’t know if Remington sells 700 receivers by themselves, or as pistol-length barreled actions.

But to answer your question, if you have a receiver that’s never been part of a rifle, you’re good to go.

Can you do that? If so, sounds like a party to me.

I have no idea where the paper work is from when I picked up my Howa barreled action last year, but I am pretty sure this is a "firearm" much like an AR receiver, so you get to pick if it is a rifle or a pistol when you finish it.

Honestly, once Howa releases a 300blk Mini action and Brownells sells it, I am ordering one to chop down to ~9" and chassis it into a pistol.

As long as you use a brace and not a stock. If you want the flexibility to use one of the folding stock chassis systems then you have to pay the $200 ticket to the party and wait 10 days for approval.

I guess I failed to realize that the “it’s a rifle” moment is putting a stock on it, and has nothing to do with the barrel length.

Also, that Fix is hella sexy. So spendy though!

I guess I failed to realize that the “it’s a rifle” moment is putting a stock on it, and has nothing to do with the barrel length.

Also, that Fix is hella sexy. So spendy though!

I know but I really love their stuff, price aside. I haven’t decided if I will take it in 300BLK or wait for the 8.6 Creedmoor.

I just don’t know if Remington sells 700 receivers by themselves, or as pistol-length barreled actions.

But to answer your question, if you have a receiver that’s never been part of a rifle, you’re good to go.

Well, to some degree it might also be moot, Does the ATF even allow a bare frame to transfer anything besides OTHER these days, even if it was sourced off a rifle?

I know previously it was "once a rifle always a rifle" but if you strip it down, and the dealer transfers it to joe smoe as OTHER, does it get to pick its own gender again and make its own gravy?

-Mike

I know but I really love their stuff, price aside. I haven’t decided if I will take it in 300BLK or wait for the 8.6 Creedmoor.

I built myself a ghetto knockoff honey badger. 06054E23-190C-4CCD-8D5D-7FCA23D1400F.jpeg

I’m tempted to do the same with a bolt-action pistol. Not sure I can justify dropping $3500 on just the gun.

I built myself a ghetto knockoff honey badger. View attachment 275725

I’m tempted to do the same with a bolt-action pistol. Not sure I can justify dropping $3500 on just the gun.

That rifle looks great, looks just like the Noveske Ghetto Blaster! I paid $3,300 with the Trash Panda. I’m at 240 days on the Trash Panda so I hope to hear it’s cleared any day.

21FE294D-3522-4A3A-BD5F-655A4B28C364.jpeg B5195569-B9BD-41EA-8D83-F3285877642E.jpeg

This is why the Howa/Brownells deal is so attractive. With coupons, sales, and activejunky you could likely do a pistol bolt gun for probably around $5-700 before you pay a smith to cut it.

I was looking into doing this a few weeks back, the light weight chassis systems are not inexpensive. I saw stuff mostly in the 500 to 1200 range. What are you thinking of for a chassis?

I was looking into doing this a few weeks back, the light weight chassis systems are not inexpensive. I saw stuff mostly in the 500 to 1200 range. What are you thinking of for a chassis?

I got the Brownells branded MDT chassis last summer for $300 during a sale they were running. Using AJ, I got a % of that in cash back. All together, this rifle cost me ~$700 before the glass and rings.

IMG_20180619_165537529.jpg

Funny enough, that chassis is just sitting on a shelf in my shop because the barrel ended up not being what I was expecting/hoping for. I am having the barrel cut and muzzle device pinned to 16" OAL (probably a 14.0" rifle bore) and dropping it into a piller bedded Hogue, with receiver mounted rings, and a PA 1-8x scope for a lighter, more handy rifle that I will actually use. I am pretty sure with my can on it, it will be the same length as my wife's 20" Rem700 SPS, and be a bit lighter. I am very excited about it.

It will likely be a while, but I may just sit on that chassis until Howa jumps on the 8.6 bandwagon, and I will pistol that shit up.

According to case file, you buy a pistol, you can make it into a rifle and put it back as a pistol. The Thompson Contender was the ATF case where it was a pistol purchased that way, bought a Contender long barrel and then returned it to pistol configuration. You can convert a pistol to rifle but not an as purchsed rifle to pistol without the paperwork.

In a state without registration... prove it was a rifle first

Back
Top Bottom