• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bolt action rifles via Online Purchase??

BW23

NES Member
Hey all,
I want to buy a long range bolt action hunting rifle (300yd max)…what are the limitations of purchasing one online? ie Can I basically order any 30-06 chambered bolt action rifle? Or is it limited to some stupid Mass roster bs?

I found some that are reasonably priced w/a scope that most gun shops don’t carry near me.

I didn’t know if “bolt action” rifles allow for more flexibility of purchasing.

Any buying tips for this purchase would be greatly appreciated.

Hey all,
I want to buy a long range bolt action hunting rifle (300yd max)…what are the limitations of purchasing one online? ie Can I basically order any 30-06 chambered bolt action rifle? Or is it limited to some stupid Mass roster bs?

I found some that are reasonably priced w/a scope that most gun shops don’t carry near me.

I didn’t know if “bolt action” rifles allow for more flexibility of purchasing.

Any buying tips for this purchase would be greatly appreciated.

All bolt actions are AWB exempt. Now there are douche vendors that won't ship to MA dealers but that's an artificial problem.

The rifle will have to be shipped to a dealer in your state of residence. You will have to pick up at that local dealer. First step is talking to local dealer to insure he will accept and transfer to you before you order it. Find out what his fee is for doing the transfer. You may want to start by telling dealer what you want and ask if he will order it for you if buying new

Dependent on manufacturer or dealer you are sourcing it from. Some wont ship to Massachusetts just because...calculated decision on their part. However legally you can order any bolt gun you like provided it is shipped to and transferred through an FFL

Define reasonably priced ?

What scope is included ?

What are you looking at specifically ?

what cartridge ?

Contact your local FFL to let them know what you're looking to order. See if they can match the price or come close. I'll do that just to give them a sale.

Some will meet it or beat it. Other times, they say they can't get close to the price and say to order it and they'll transfer it. I've had someone ask me where I'm ordering from too because it's below their distributor's cost and they want to order one too. LOL.

No restrictions to worry about for a bolt gun, so don't concern yourself with the roster BS.

No. The rifle will have to be shipped to a dealer; it is legal to purchase long guns from an FFL in a state other than your residence, so long as you can legally possess the rifle where you live.
Yes you can by a long gun at out of state dealer, if you can legally posses in your home state. In some cases you can even pick it up in and do the paperwork if you are at the out of state dealer. I had assumed if he was buying on line he would ship to LGS in his home state. I guess he could have the rifle to a dealer outside his state of residence but he would then have to that out of state dealer to do paperwork to pick it up. ( might make sense if the out of state dealer is tax free)

The rifle will have to be shipped to a dealer in your state of residence.
Actually long guns can be purchased from a dealer in any state, but you do have to pick up in person. The FFL needs to follow the laws in their state and the buyer's state of residence. So the buyer could ask the remote FFL to ship to a NH FFL and pick up the rifle in person at the NH FFL.

That said, a local FFL is usually easier. Also, ALWAYS call your local FFL first to see if he will accept the transfer in BEFORE buying the gun.

Note that handguns must be transferred through a dealer in the buyer's state of residence.

Last edited:
The real scenario I’m looking at is a budget bolt action rifle like a 30-06 Ruger American that isn’t readily available at my local shops. Gun broker had one for $400.

The real scenario I’m looking at is a budget bolt action rifle like a 30-06 Ruger American that isn’t readily available at my local shops. Gun broker had one for $400.
Call up your local dealer. They can probably order one from their distributor and have it in less than a week.

Actually long guns can be purchased from a dealer in any state, but you do have to pick up in person.
Maybe we can get a current FFL holder to chime in on this, as I don’t think it is accurate, but maybe the laws have changed. When I was first working behind the gun counter ( which was only a handful of years after the GCA of 68 was passed) one of the parts of GCA 68 limited sales of long guns to residents of the dealers state and residents of states that shared a border with the dealers state (contiguous states restriction)

Three years ago while I was a Mass resident, four of us were hitting gun shops in Vermont. (Pouring rain so we took a day off from fishing) I and the guy from NY were able to buy rifles, but the two guys from PA and Texas were not. They asked, and were politely told no because they were not from contiguous states.

I did a quick on line search and I believe this is still the case

Fed law allows rifle/shotgun transfers at an FFL in any state. Some states have restrictions, like MA prohibits transfer to anyone not a MA resident with a LTC/FID. So FFLs have to abide by both Federal and State restrictions.

Maybe we can get a current FFL holder to chime in on this, as I don’t think it is accurate, but maybe the laws have changed. When I was first working behind the gun counter ( which was only a handful of years after the GCA of 68 was passed) one of the parts of GCA 68 limited sales of long guns to residents of the dealers state and residents of states that shared a border with the dealers state (contiguous states restriction)

Three years ago while I was a Mass resident, four of us were hitting gun shops in Vermont. (Pouring rain so we took a day off from fishing) I and the guy from NY were able to buy rifles, but the two guys from PA and Texas were not. They asked, and were politely told no because they were not from contiguous states.

I did a quick on line search and I believe this is still the case
You are incorrect. What I wrote was correct. See the ATF FAQ:

Permitted Sales to Non-Residents of Your State​

Applicable Laws and Regulations: 27 CFR §§ 478.94, 478.99(a).

You may sell a firearm to a person who does not reside in your State by shipping the firearm to a licensee in the buyer’s State of residence. The buyer can then take possession of the firearm from the licensee in the buyer’s State of residence. The licensee in the buyer’s State of residence is responsible for the ATF Form 4473 and NICS background check. The A&D records should reflect the transfer to the out-of-State FFL to whom the firearm was shipped, and not to the end purchaser.

You may make an over-the-counter sale of a rifle or shotgun to a non-resident of your State if the transaction complies with Federal law, as well as all the laws of your State and the laws of the buyer’s State. As this exception applies only to shotguns and rifles, frames and receivers not configured as a complete shotgun or rifle may not be sold to a buyer who does not reside in the State in which your business is located.

All bolt actions are AWB exempt. Now there are douche vendors that won't ship to MA dealers but that's an artificial problem.
This statement is correct, but a caveat: nowadays, some bolt guns come with magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds, and no one is going to transfer to you a post-ban higher-than-10-round-cap magazine.

This statement is correct, but a caveat: nowadays, some bolt guns come with magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds, and no one is going to transfer to you a post-ban higher-than-10-round-cap magazine.
Yeah but I was referring to the gun.
.... the magazines are always their own issue and any decent inbounding FFL in mass is going to know what that issue is- and likely give the transferring person the opportunity to either not take possession of that magazine, or some other remediation option small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. Not to mention the number of bolt action rifles that actually come with detachable magazines is a small number to begin with in the number that have 10 round magazines are larger are basically statistically insignificant, unless we're talking like a ruger 22 or something.

Back
Top Bottom