• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bolt Catch Installation and Roll Pin Source

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Is there any place in Mass (western hopefully) which carries LPKs? And the individual parts?

Need some spare roll pins. One right now for the bolt catch.

Yeah I dropped it.

Is there any place in Mass (western hopefully) which carries LPKs? And the individual parts?

Need some spare roll pins. One right now for the bolt catch.

Yeah I dropped it.

Any Home Depot or Lowes is surely going to have roll pins in stock for probably $1.

I bought an assorted spring pack from HD that came in handy when I lost the buffer retaining pin spring.

Not sure the size of the bolt catch pin, but HF has an assortment

Dont buy these, they are cheap and rust easy and theres very little “bite” to them.

oshit kits are out there also

Brownells ... & get their Roll pin punches & holders to prevent dinging up your fine firearm

Brownells' OOPS Kit:

Brownells ... & get their Roll pin punches & holders to prevent dinging up your fine firearm

Already got them. And they do help a lot.

Incase you haven't done it before.. This is the one roll pin that sucks to install. need 4 hands and a lot of patience.
Got brave tonight and did the installation. Only took about 10-15 minutes (I went very slow and kept checking my progress). What made it easy was that a couple of years back I ordered a Wheeler Armors Kit that had a vise in it. Just used this to hold my lower in an upright position and I had enough hands to do it. My son showed me how to put some grease on the pin to make it go in easier.

1632876139269.png

I did come across an interesting video with an alternate way to put the pin thought. I'll leave it here for comment.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qURvqQYvKA

I use the channel lock method in video above. It's super easy and I give zero f***s about scratching a gun I'm going to carry around hanging from a sling and crawl on the ground with.

I use the channel lock method as well with forged lowers, but with billet lowers the bolt catch is threaded which is a life saver

Grind down a lead on the roll pin so it'll start inside the hole and use channel lock pliers.

And, if you have stubs for fingers and cant grab the roll pin, chuck it up in a small rotary tool or drill and hit the end on a diamond file.

Actually I squeezed the end of the roll with a pair of pliers just enough so that it would just enter the hole. I put some lube on the pin then placed the lower in the mag well holder of a Wheeler Vice. Then I was able to (lightly) hammer the pin in using roll pin punch.

Easy peasy, just like Miss Squeezy.

Back
Top Bottom