• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Book Recommendations

Infinite Jester

Navy Veteran
Has anyone read anything interesting lately? I just finished a book by William Engdahl called "A Century of War". It's basically a recounting of the oil industry's grip on world economy from post-WW1 to the present day. It really opened my eyes on how nations have been maneuvering through wars and treaties to secure and dominate oil rich regions. The early years I found to be the most fascinating part of the book. Germany was on the forefront of securing deals in the middle east, going as far as to begin construction of railways into oil rich territories. Needless to say, Great Britain and the United States looked unfavorably on this power grab. Later on, Engdahl explains in great detail, the grassroots, anti-nuclear movement and who was really responsible for their formation and funding.

It's not gun related.

I just got done with "the man in the white suit"
It's about the race car drive that was the stig on top gear for years.Ben Collins.. Great read even if you not a car guy. he was a British soldier.

Also like "when I was cool"
It's a true story of a kid that got tricked in to going to a fake school. He got to hang out with the old "beat writers"

Send it!

Just finished "The Amateur". Great read and "The Islamic Antichrist: The Shocking Truth about the Real Nature of the Beast". Excellent read. Little difficult to follow at the end but very enlightening and definitely scary.

Top gear is such a great show. My wife even loves it and she's not a "car guy". Wait a minute, that came out wrong. Anyway. I find that one on the beat writers interesting. I've read quite a lot of SF for a guy that doesn't consider himself an "SF fan", so I guess I might have to reevaluate myself, huh? "The Islamic Antichrist" has me intrigued though. I've been on a non-fiction bender lately, and I'm at that point where I'll either switch to fiction, or continue down the non-fiction road awhile longer. (Wish I had been able to go on learning benders in college, I might have fared better).

I'm about halfway through Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich." I'm at the part where the bad guys are looking to invade Poland. I can't wait to see how it ends.

Top gear is such a great show. My wife even loves it and she's not a "car guy". Wait a minute, that came out wrong. Anyway. I find that one on the beat writers interesting. I've read quite a lot of SF for a guy that doesn't consider himself an "SF fan", so I guess I might have to reevaluate myself, huh? "The Islamic Antichrist" has me intrigued though. I've been on a non-fiction bender lately, and I'm at that point where I'll either switch to fiction, or continue down the non-fiction road awhile longer. (Wish I had been able to go on learning benders in college, I might have fared better).

I should of said the British top gear....
My last gf god 4 years ago used to watch top gear with me, and she wasn't into cars. Heck I got a few gay buddy's that watch if now lol.
It was a great book . One of the funniest thing in the book is learning if the stig didnt teach the hamster some tips abd was taller he would of died in the jet crash.

The book "when I was cool" is pretty awesome. I would of killed to be that kid hanging with all the beat writers after jack died..

Send it!

"The Great Bridge" is the story of the building of the Brooklyn bridge. Interesting if you're into construction/engineering. "Gates of Fire" was good, fictionalized account of the battle of Thermopolye (sp?). "Black Mass", Whitey Bulger's story.

Havent seen much of the American version, but loved the British version (Top Gear). Usually, its the other way around for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have any firearms related books to recommend?

going through Nathanial Philbricks"custers last stand" good documentary account of the real events leading up to the battle of the little bighorn.

also his" Mayflower" THE u.s. ex. ex. and the "Away off shore" the history of the first settlement on Nantucket through the whaling years.

great reads .

The Coldest Winter by Davd Halberstam. About the Korean War & Gen Mac Arthur. A very good book.

Last edited:
The Coldest Winter by Davd Halberstam. About the Korean War & Gen Mac Arthur. A very good book.

If you like Korean war era military history (or if you just like to read about people who are ****ing bad ass) you absolutely MUST read "The Last Stand of Fox Company" by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin.

Seeds of Discontent: The Deep Roots of the American Revolution, 1650-1750, by J. Revell Carr
http://ipac.librarypoint.org/ipac20...search&index=.GW&term=seeds discontent revell

A good book for anyone who goes on about how our forefathers would have reacted to X Y or Z or for anyone who really wants to get a feel for why a series of repressive taxes pushed them over the edge.

the publisher said:
A narrative history of the largely unexplored events-starting almost a century before-that inspired the colonists to launch the American Revolution. Repressive actions by the Crown against its colonies in the years following the French and Indian War may have been the direct causes, but historian Carr takes a longer view, and argues that "the cumulative effect of more than one hundred years of British disrespect, mismanagement, and exploitation prepared the minds of the colonists for revolution

It's amazing what they had to endure and thus little surprise the discontent rose to the level of revolution, despite being under the thumb of the most powerful military nation at the time.

If you like Korean war era military history (or if you just like to read about people who are ****ing bad ass) you absolutely MUST read "The Last Stand of Fox Company" by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin.

Might have to check it out, my knowledge of the Korean war I got from reruns of MASH [laugh]
Either our high school history books made it a footnote or we just didn't get that far..

Seeds of Discontent: The Deep Roots of the American Revolution, 1650-1750, by J. Revell Carr
http://ipac.librarypoint.org/ipac20...search&index=.GW&term=seeds discontent revell

A good book for anyone who goes on about how our forefathers would have reacted to X Y or Z or for anyone who really wants to get a feel for why a series of repressive taxes pushed them over the edge.

It's amazing what they had to endure and thus little surprise the discontent rose to the level of revolution, despite being under the thumb of the most powerful military nation at the time.

Nice, ordered.

I read this a few months back..A very good read and definatly disturbing if something like that was to happen..also just finished Obama's America by Dinesh D'Souza, now I want to see the movie.
I saw the movie last week. It's worth seeing.

I'm finishing up my undergrad degree and have a 6-momth-old son so reading time is non-existent recently, but I always like to recommend Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle as a fun read. It's a disaster epic whose premise is parts of a comet hit the Earth, societal breakdown ensues. Scary, and probably not too far off the mark still, even though it was written in the 70s.

Back
Top Bottom