Boredom + machine tools = stuff you can by for less money than the trouble

pastera

NES Member
Had some time on my hands so grabbed some 304 stainless off the shelf and made a universal decapper.

Spent several hours on my mini lathe (7x12) even though a decapper is only about $10

Works great but still need to knurl and mill wrench flats

Attachments

• 100_0290.jpg
    100_0290.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 100_0291.jpg
    100_0291.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 77
My wise father-in-law says "If you need a tool, make it. If you can't make it, borrow it. If you can't borrow it, buy the best one you can afford."

I was going to make some comment about you having more time than money, but that's not it, is it? It's the journey, not the destination. And you probably learned something along the way.[grin]

That is 1 more thing made in America. I would do the same thing if I had the tools. My reason for making things, is usually because I hate the shitty way most people build things, so I like it my way.

I own a machine shop and just today spent about an hour making an adjustable measure for black powder that I could have bought for about $12. But this one was "free" :)

There's a guy looking to get into a machine shop in another thread. Seems ambitious and willing to sweep chips etc.

Nice work BTW.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

As an electrical engineer, machining skills don't have a lot of "value" so mine get a little rusty. Single point threading stainless on a minilathe takes a little skill and a lot of prayer.

I also made a slitting saw arbor to build this so this was definately a learning experience - Yep, about $2k worth of desktop machining tools to make $10 parts is foolish but being able to make the unobtainable parts the boss needs tomorrow is real nice....

Next project is some custom bullet seaters once I get a reloading bench setup. With the large differences in bullet profiles I haven't seen bullet seating dies to match.

Anyone else around here have a desktop machining setup?

IMG_0377.jpg
I have a Prazzi.
it`s old and a little off ,but works pretty good.
I have not taken any courses in how to use, but I have done some great work with it.
This took me 3 days to get to this point

View attachment 42789
I have a Prazzi.
it`s old and a little off ,but works pretty good.
I have not taken any courses in how to use, but I have done some great work with it.
This took me 3 days to get to this point

I love working with brass but using that carbide insert tooling makes things much harder. The rake on the insert will make the brass grabb the tool, digging in and creating chatter. Try using a plain hand ground HSS tool.

Ohh, don't knock the Prazzi I'm pretty sure it's a better lathe than my chinese 7x12.

I've always wondered what would happen if I piggybacked two drills together.

If the two drills turn in the same direction do you get double the speed? And if they turn in opposite directions do you get a drill bit that does not turn?

Deep thoughts like this keep my up at night...

Back
Top Bottom