• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston "Assault Weapons Ban" ... n00b content

I have been reading the board for a little bit and I have been searching for this info but could not find anything solid. And when I called BPD Licensing I asked if there was a list or if they could point me in the direction of a “list” of gun’s illegal in Boston. I followed up with the statement of “I just do not want to purchase a firearm that is legal in Massachusetts but illegal in Boston.” And to no avail they said they did not know, to check the Mass State Police site.

So here are my questions, which “assault weapons” are banned in Boston. I was interesting in an Olympic Arms ML-2 Multimatch. Is this considered an “assault weapon” in Boston? Even though it does not have a bayonet lug, flash suppressor, grenade launcher, or telescopic stock?

And the second one, is there anywhere I can find a list of weapons that are illegal to own in Boston?

Thanks,

Rory

Please do a search here (link at top of forum pages, use Advanced Search), perhaps "Boston" in the Gun Laws Forum will give you a list with the right "hits" but we discussed this at length and I think one of us even gave the citation from the Boston City Council regulations/by-laws.

When you find it, please post a link to that thread here and then continue discussion at the original site and one of the mods will lock this as a dupe.

Bottom line is that nobody has ever been charged with violating the Boston Ban and their legal counsel told Ron Glidden that they didn't even think that their ban was enforceable in a court of law!

Welcome to the forum.

Those are all relevant but not what I was hoping you'd find.

I found it but only in print and it is multiple pages long, too long to type. Hopefully someone will find the text online somewhere.

City of Boston
Acts of 1989, Ch. 596, Sections 1-7 entitled "An act relative to assault weapons in the city of Boston" which was approved Dec 9, 1989

This is in Chief Ron Glidden's book on MA Firearms Law p. 292-296 (9th Edition).

Acts of 1989, Ch. 596, Sections 1-7

I have the latest edition of Law Enforcement Guide (4/2006) and have read the comments written by the books' authors on whether this act ever has been or is currently enforceable. However, like the original poster, I would like to be sure that I'm not doing Mumbles Menino a favor by asking HQ to pull my license for owning a .223 rifle within city limits. Section 7 clearly states:

"The police commissioner of the city of Boston is hereby authorized to revoke licenses granted under sections one hundred and twenty-two and one hundred thirty-one of Chapter 140 of the general laws for violation of this act."

Is it because no one was ever found to be in violation that no one has ever been charged? Or are there cases that some may recall where a person was found to have an AW in boston without the DA pressing charges?

I would really like to own a Bushmaster, but I am a little apprehensive about the risk for obvious reasons. Just wanted to know how others view the situation.

I can't remember who, but someone here at NES that lives in the city (of Boston) has an AW. I remember the person recently making a reference to it but can't remember who it was. To those of us that live in the city and own black rifles, WASRs etc are you at all concerned about losing your LTC if BPD is ever called to a shots fired at your home and find an AW was involved?

There's nothing like having a risk that you can't manage because the true nature of the risk is obscure.

Moga said:
I can't remember who, but someone here at NES that lives in the city (of Boston) has an AW.
*sound of grinding teeth*

You mean that someone has a FULL-AUTO rifle?

Or are you referring to someone who has what the SHEEP in Boston refer to as a "assault weapon" which is actually any rifle that's black and "looks" like an assault weapon?

To those of us that live in the city and own black rifles, WASRs etc are you at all concerned about losing your LTC if BPD is ever called to a shots fired at your home and find an AW was involved?

Just understand that if the BPD ever responds to "shots fired" at a LTC holder's home, your LTC is toast anyway. You are talking about Boston, if you ever had to use a gun in self defense, they would yank your LTC so fast (even if you were 1000% justified) that your head would spin. Mumbles and gang do NOT want anyone to defend themselves in Boston. Mumbles motto "Dial 911 and Die!"

Edited to add: In most cities/towns in MA if you ever had to use it, your LTC would be yanked. I'm extra harsh on Boston, but almost no chief wants civilians defending themselves in MA.

With all due respect, that's actually not entirely true. I can recall first hand a case 3-4 years ago of a LTC holder, I believe from JP, fatally shot an intruder after the suspect broke down his door in the am hours and attempted to steal the guy's possessions at gunpoint. And this guy was a regular joe, a nightclub DJ. Not only were charges not filed against the victim but he was also allowed to keep his LTC.

I have looked for that story in the past to re-read but haven't been able to find it. Otherwise I'd post a link for others to read.

There was a one-time chance to register AW's in Boston. The city only made the forms available for the last day or two of the registration window, and approximately 125 such guns were registered.

Moga said:
I have looked for that story in the past to re-read but haven't been able to find it. Otherwise I'd post a link for others to read.

I was able to dig this up using Lexis-Nexis.

Copyright 2002 Boston Herald Inc.
The Boston Herald

October 23, 2002 Wednesday FIRST EDITION
SECTION: NEWS; Pg. 022
LENGTH: 399 words
HEADLINE: Man, roomies tense after fatal altercation
BYLINE: By JESSICA HESLAM

BODY:
Three nightclub promoters who are roommates are in fear for their lives after one of them shot and killed an intruder who ambushed their apartment early Monday.

"He's worried. Police told him to be careful," one of the Jamaica Plain roommates said yesterday of his pal, who fatally shot the intruder.

"We feel threatened," he said.

One of the three roommates recounted the frightening break-in yesterday outside his Robinwood Avenue apartment, where the men, all in their early 20s, moved about five weeks ago.

The roommate asked that his name not be published for fear of retaliation. The slain intruder was a new father who lived in South Boston, sources said.

The roommate said the victim of the break-in was home alone in their second-floor apartment when he heard someone knocking at the downstairs door about 2:30 a.m.

The man went downstairs and heard at least three voices on the other side of the locked door, the roommate said.

One of the intruders identified himself as Steve Martin, said he had to use the bathroom and asked for one of the man's roommates.

The resident said his roommate wasn't home. The intruder got "hostile," kicked in the door, and ran up with what appeared to be a gun in his hand, the roommate said.

The resident scrambled upstairs and grabbed his 9 mm handgun off the living room table.

"He turned around and the (intruder) was coming toward him with a gun pointed at him. (The resident) fired a warning shot at the door but the (intruder) continued to run straight at him with the gun pointed at him," the roommate said.

The man then fired one shot at the intruder, who fell forward onto the floor, the roommate said.

"He didn't look where the shot went. He doesn't know where he shot him. He called 911 right away," the roommate said. "He's pretty shaken up about it."

Police said the intruder might have been armed with a fake gun and are awaiting ballistics test results.

The victim of the break-in is licensed to carry a firearm and has not been charged in connection with the shooting. He declined comment yesterday.

Boston police have not released the name of the deceased man or a motive. The roommates said they did not know the intruders and say they might have been after expensive music, DJ and office equipment in the apartment.

"We're thinking it's someone who had been to the house" for a party, the roommate said.

LOAD-DATE: October 23, 2002

dwarven1 said:
*sound of grinding teeth*

You mean that someone has a FULL-AUTO rifle?

Or are you referring to someone who has what the SHEEP in Boston refer to as a "assault weapon" which is actually any rifle that's black and "looks" like an assault weapon?

No, it wasn't a MG. The poster made reference to either a WASR or an AR-15 type semi-auto that he owned. I can't remember which system he had but I do recall thinking that he isn't too worried about Acts 1989.

Moga said:
Police said the intruder might have been armed with a fake gun and are awaiting ballistics test results.
Why am I not surprised that Boston needed "ballistics tests" to determine if the intruder had a fake gun or a real gun?

Ross, some folks here don't realize that a WASR-10 or a Semi Auto AR is not an AW. They are really semi auto Close Quarter Carbines.

Folks, to be a REAL AW, it MUST be a SELECT FIRE weapon, and an Intermediate (not Pistol) caliber. Don't keep quoting the terms used by the idiot politicians and .gov jerks like "F-Troop".

Nickle said:
Ross, some folks here don't realize that a WASR-10 or a Semi Auto AR is not an AW. They are really semi auto Close Quarter Carbines.

Folks, to be a REAL AW, it MUST be a SELECT FIRE weapon, and an Intermediate (not Pistol) caliber. Don't keep quoting the terms used by the idiot politicians and .gov jerks like "F-Troop".

I may be wrong, but I do believe that Boston does consider anything with any of the following, bayonet lug, flash supressor, pistol grip, and telescoping stock to be an "assault weapon".

I've just been looking for information, as I believe Moga has also. For some of us who are tied down to Jobs and Family we can't move out of state or into another town. So we try our best to find the best information possible. Hence why I signed up here. I have mainly had some decent info and alot of "Boston is a horrible place to live". I dunno, I think I'm just rambling now.

Look, let me make this perfectly clear.

Just because some pencil pusher in Boston calls a semi auto CQ Carbine an "Assault Weapon" doesn't make it so. We'll never get them to stop, but, we can rise above the nonsense and call them what they really are.

Sounds stupid, but the reason the AWB happened in the first place (and got supported) was an irrational fear of "look alike" weapons. That might explain why we need to call them what they are.

Now, what you really want to know is can you have a newly purchased weapon with "evil features" so to say, right?

Nickle said:
Look, let me make this perfectly clear.

Just because some pencil pusher in Boston calls a semi auto CQ Carbine an "Assault Weapon" doesn't make it so. We'll never get them to stop, but, we can rise above the nonsense and call them what they really are.

Sounds stupid, but the reason the AWB happened in the first place (and got supported) was an irrational fear of "look alike" weapons. That might explain why we need to call them what they are.

I disagree- I think word-gnashing and semantic battles don't really
accomplish anything. As a matter of fact, all it does in this case is
something which I hate- which is to demonize machineguns. Theres
this large segment of the pro-gun community which like to scapegoat
that "semiautomatic rifles are not machineguns" as if machineguns are
somehow or another inherently more evil. This is known as throwing
the baby out with the bathwater. All it does is contribute to the
problem of "object demonization" that the sheeple have fallen
for. I don't see the logic in trying to call a switchblade a "pointy tool
used for various tasks" in some vain effort to try to get the people that
hate them to accept them because now the name is less
scary. Gun banning pricks hate all guns, not just ones which have
a higher rate of fire. If we're limited to justifying our existence by
saying "Well, our guns are "less evil" than the ones you're -really- complaining
about" then we've already failed miserably. The problem with segregation
of firearms in a political sense is it delivers a connotation that guns
can actually -be- inherently bad, which IMO, is something we want to
avoid at all costs.

Hell, we could pass a law mandating that all "assault weapons" or "semiautomatic
rifles" or "assault rifles" (or whatever someone calls them) be painted
pink, and all be officially named "Barbie Fluff Rifle" thereafter, and the antis would
still hate them, because it's still a gun. Remember, if given a chance
the antis would ban everything except for maybe single/double
barrel shotguns and muskets, and even those would be heavily regulated. (think
england, other anti countries with similar rules... )

PS: I can admit that "assault weapon" is a pretty vague/crappy term, in and of itself. A potato
in a sock could be an "assault weapon" or even a fist, or a rock. But someone applying that
name to a firearm of any kind is not going to drastically change the public's perception. The only
way to do that for the better is to make more gun owners. More gun owners = more interest = people
more likely to bitch at their politicians about their rights being pissed away. It's hard to complain about
losing a right if someone barely understands it. Most gun owners do understand what the 2nd is
about.... for the majority of the non-gun-owning country, gun rights are black hole that they really
don't understand, or arent emotionally invested in, so they take whatever the pols feed them even if its
a lie, because they don't know any better.

-Mike

Last edited:
Well, Mike, you're entitled to your opinion, but it is a historical fact that the term "Assault Weapon" as applied to Semi Auto Battle Rifles and Semi Auto Close Quarter Carbines was deliberately done to confuse the public and the politicians to gewt them to ban these evil "machine guns".

Now last I knew, a real "machine gun" is a full auto weapon, but that wasn't good enough for the Klintonistas that had to ban ALL guns, starting with the fringe elements.

Call them what they are, folks, and let's all stick together, united, to prevent any further bans or attempts at bans.

ETA - There's evidence out there that some members of Congress thought they were banning MG's in '94. They've openly said that.

Good points, Mike, but I think I was more irritated at the fact that a gun-owner was buying into the whole "labeling" thing - what Boston calls an AW is NOT the real definition of an AW. Guess I'm trying to point out that the Boston city council is the one trying to demonize certain guns by putting labels on them.

Nickle said:

They're actually a little trickier than that. The definition you give is for an "Assault Rifle". They made up their own term, "Assault Weapon", which they then define whatever way works to get away with banning the most guns in a particular time and jurisdiction.

Ken

Nickle said:

I understand that point perfectly fine. I'm simply using that jargon in a quote or reference as it appears in the language of the piece of legislation being discussed. It doesn't mean I agree with the label AW because I don't, but there's really no need to argue that here. It's beside the point.

Anyhoo, I was thinking: the language of the act says nothing about the number of rounds capable of being held in a detachable magazine. It only specifically limits the number of rounds capable of being held in a fixed magazine. Therefore, a person could have a pre-ban rifle with a pre-ban mag lawfully as long as the system isn't one of the make/models listed as prohibited in the act.

Further, in another section of the act, there is a caveat that states it is unlawful to possess large-capacity magazines. But this territory was later covered in GCA 1998 with the change in license styles. GCA 1998 says a LTC-A holder can in fact have a large-capacity magazine as long as it was lawfully possessed on 9/13/94. So it would appear that GCA 1998 supercedes the Acts of 1989. If one goes with this theory, a citizen of Boston could lawfully have a pre-ban rifle with a pre-ban hicap mag as long as it isn't one of the make/models listed in the act.

Lastly, all indications would suggest that this act is defunct anyway because there isn't an official copy or description of the act relative to assault weapons on the webpages for the city of Boston, the State of Massachusetts, or anyplace else on the Internet according to Google.

Last edited:
Boston AWB I

Those are all relevant but not what I was hoping you'd find.

I found it but only in print and it is multiple pages long, too long to type. Hopefully someone will find the text online somewhere.

City of Boston
Acts of 1989, Ch. 596, Sections 1-7 entitled "An act relative to assault weapons in the city of Boston" which was approved Dec 9, 1989

This is in Chief Ron Glidden's book on MA Firearms Law p. 292-296 (9th Edition).

Found it while looking for something else... (you're right, it is too long to type)

Special "Assault Weapons" Law
for the City of Boston
Acts 1989, ch. 596, sections 1-7, entitled "An act relative to assault weapons in the city of Boston", which was approved Dec 9, 1989; by section 8, effective upon its passage, provide as follows:

SECTION 1.
For the purposes of this act the following words shall have the following meanings:

1. "Assault weapon", all rifles and shotguns designated as assault weapons in this section and all other semi-automatic rifles and shotguns which are determined by the assault weapon roster board, established under the provisions of section five, to be assault weapons. Such term shall include, in addition to any other rifles and shotguns identified by said board, all versions of the following, including rifles and shotguns sold under the designation provided in this section and rifles and shotguns which are substantially identical thereto sold under any designation:

1. Avtomat Kalishnikov, also known as AK-47 semi-automatic rifles;
2. Uzi semi-automatic rifles;
3. AR-15 semi-automatic rifles;
4. FN-FAL and FN-FNC semi automatic rifles;
5. Steyr Aug semi-automatic rifles;
6. SKS semi-automatic rifles;
7. shotguns with revolving cylinders known as the Street Sweeper and the Striker 12;
8. any other semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding ten rounds;
9. any other shotgun with a fixed magazine, cylinder, drum or tube capacity exceeding six rounds; and.
10. any semi-automatic firearm which is a modification of a rifle or shotgun described in this subsection; that is, having the same make, caliber, and action design but a shorter barrel or no rear stock.

2. "Assault weapon" shall not include:

1. a rifle or shotgun which does not employ fixed ammunition;
2. a rifle or shotgun which was manufactured prior to the year eighteen hundred and ninety-eight;
3. a rifle or shotgun which operates by manual bolt action;
4. a rifle or shotgun which operates by lever action;
5. a rifle or shotgun which operates by slide action;
6. a rifle or shotgun which is a single shot weapon;
7. a rifle or shotgun which is a multiple barrel weapon;
8. a rifle which is a revolving cylinder weapon;
9. a rifle which employs a fixed magazine with a capacity of ten rounds or less;
10. a shotgun which is a rimfire weapon that employs a tubular magazine with a magazine capacity of six rounds or less;
11. a rifle or shotgun which cannot employ a detachable magazine or ammu- nition belt with a capacity greater than ten rounds;
12. a rifle or shotgun which has been modified so as to render it permanently inoperable or so as to make it permanently a device which may not appropri- ately be designated as an assault weapon; or.
13. a rifle or shotgun which is an antique or relic firearm, movie prop or other weapon not capable of firing a projectile and not intended for use as a functional weapon and which cannot be readily converted through a combina- tion of available parts into an operable assault weapon.

3. "Large capacity ammunition belt", a belt or strip which holds more than ten rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously into a semi-automatic rifle or shotgun or an ammunition belt which can be readily converted into a large capacity ammunition belt.

4. "Large capacity magazine", a box, drum, or other container which holds more than ten rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously into a semi-automatic rifle or shotgun or a magazine which can be readily converted into a large capacity magazine.

5. "Rifle", a firearm of which the length of barrel is sixteen inches or more, that is designed or has been redesigned, made or has been remade to fire a fixed cartridge.

6. "Semi-automatic", capable of firing a shot with each depression of the trigger without additional slide, bolt or other manual action.

7. "Shotgun", a firearm of which the length of barrel is eighteen inches or more which is designed or has been redesigned, made or has been remade to fire a shotgun shell.

SECTION 2.
In the city of Boston, it shall be unlawful to sell, rent, lease, possess, purchase, barter, display, or transfer an assault weapon.

In the city of Boston, it shall be unlawful to sell, rent, lease, possess, purchase, barter, display, or transfer a large capacity magazine or a large capacity ammunition belt.

In the city of Boston, it shall be unlawful to sell, rent, lease, possess, purchase, barter, display, or transfer any part or combination of parts, designed or intended to convert a rifle or shotgun into an assault weapon, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon may be readily assembled if these parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

Last edited:
Boston AWB II

SECTION 3.
The provisions of this act shall not apply to the possession of assault weapons, large capacity magazines, large capacity ammunition belts, or other types of magazines or ammunition belts by officers, agents, or employees of the commonwealth or any other state or of the United States, members of the armed forces of the United States or the organized militia of the commonwealth or any other state, and law enforcement officers, to the extent that any such person is authorized by competent authority to acquire, possess or carry an assault weapon and is acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this act shall not apply to the sale of assault weapons, large capacity magazines, large capacity ammunition belts, or other types of magazines or magazine belts by dealers licensed under section one hundred and twenty-two of chapter one hundred and forty of the General Laws to those persons described in the first paragraph.

The provisions of this act shall not apply to the possession of assault weapons by persons on the property of a lawfully incorporated sporting or shooting club who are licensed to carry firearms under section one hundred and thirty-one of chapter one hundred and forty of the General Laws.

The provisions of this act shall not apply to the possession of assault weapons, large capacity magazines or large capacity ammunition belts by persons taking part in a competition or attending a meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearms collectors or travelling to or from such competition, meeting or exhibition; provided, however, that any such person has on his person a firearm identification card for the assault weapons issued pursuant to section one hundred and twenty-nine B of chapter one hundred and forty of the General Laws or is a resident of the United States and has on his person a permit or license to carry or possess firearms, including said assault weapons, issued under the laws of any state, district or territory which has requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that any such person who is a resident of the city of Boston shall also have on his person a license to possess the assault weapons issued pursuant to this act; and provided, further, that any assault weapon, while in transit or when at a location other than the competition, meeting, exhibition or owner's residence, shall be unloaded and packaged.

The provisions of this act shall not apply to the possession of assault weapons by persons while in transit through the city of Boston for the purpose of going or coming from hunting; provided, however, that any such person has on his person a firearm identification card for the assault weapons issued pursuant to section one hundred and twenty-nine B of chapter one hundred and forty of the General Laws or is a resident of the United States and has on his person a permit or license to carry firearms, including said assault weapons, issued under the laws of any state, district or territory which has requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that any such person who is a resident of the city of Boston shall also have on his person a license to possess the assault weapons issued pursuant to this act; provided, further, that any such person has on his person a currently valid hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination; and provided further, that any assault weapon, while in transit, shall be unloaded and packaged.

The provisions of this act shall not apply to the possession of assault weapons, large capacity magazines, large capacity magazine belts, or other types of magazines or ammunition belts by persons specifically authorized to acquire, have, possess or carry an assault weapon pursuant to federal law.

SECTION 4.
Any person who violates the provisions of this act as to an assault weapon shall for a first offense be punished by a fine of one thousand dollars, and for any subsequent offense by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years.

Any person who violates the provisions of this act as to a magazine or an ammunition belt shall for a first offense be punished by a fine of two hundred dollars and for any subsequent offense by a fine of five hundred dollars.

SECTION 5.
There shall be in the city of Boston an assault weapon roster board, hereinafter referred to as the board, which shall consist of seven members each of whom shall serve for a term of four years. The members of the board shall be: the police commissioner of the city of Boston, ex officio, or his designee, who shall serve as chairman of the board; the corporation counsel of the city of Boston, ex officio, or his designee; and five members to be appointed by the mayor, one of whom shall be a member of the Massachusetts chapter of the National Rifle Association; one of whom shall be an employee of a Massachusetts firm which manufactures firearms; and three citizens of the city of Boston, one of whom shall be a member of a recognized gun control organization.

The board shall meet at the request of the chairman or by the request of a majority of its members.

There shall be an assault weapon roster, hereinafter referred to as the roster, which the board shall compile and initially publish in a newspaper of general circulation in the city of Boston by December first, nineteen hundred and eighty-nine.

In determining whether any weapon shall be placed on the roster, the board shall consider each of the following characteristics, without placing any undue weight on any one characteristic:

1. Ballistic accuracy,.
2. Quality of materials,.
3. Quality of manufacture,.
4. Reliability as to safety,.
5. Utility for legitimate sporting activities.

The board shall at least semi-annually publish the roster in a newspaper of general circulation in the city of Boston, and shall send a copy thereof to all dealers licensed in the city of Boston under the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-two of chapter one hundred and forty of the General Laws.

The board may modify the roster upon the board's own initiative. A person may petition the board to place a weapon on the roster, subject to the provisions of this section. A person who so petitions shall give the reasons why the weapon should be placed on the roster.

A petition to place a weapon on the roster shall be submitted in writing to the board and shall be in the form and manner prescribed by the board. Upon receipt of the petition to place a weapon on the roster, the board shall, within forty-five days of receipt of the petition, either notify the petitioner by certified mail that the petition is denied, or it shall place the weapon on the roster. The prohibition of a weapon shall be effective on the date it is included in the next publication of the roster in a newspaper of general circulation in the city of Boston.

The board shall be authorized to promulgate regulations concerning the appeal of a decision to place or to deny to place a weapon on the roster and any other regulations not inconsistent with this act to effectuate its purpose.

Boston AWB III

SECTION 6.
Within ninety days of the effective date of this act, any person lawfully in possession of an assault weapon and a firearm identification card for that assault weapon issued pursuant to section one hundred and twenty-nine B of chapter one hundred and forty of the General Laws shall apply to the police commissioner of the city of Boston, or his designee, for a license to possess such assault weapon. In determining whether to issue such license, the police commissioner of the city of Boston shall be guided by the criteria stated in section one hundred and thirty-one of chapter one hundred and forty of the General Laws, and the procedures for judicial review of a denial of a license to possess shall be the same as provided for the denial of a license in said section one hundred and thirty-one. A license to possess shall allow the licensee to keep an assault weapon in his residence. Any person denied a license to possess pursuant to this act shall, within ninety days of such denial, dispose of the assault weapon in such a way as to not be in violation of this act. Any person who obtains an assault weapon registered under this act by bequest or interstate succession shall, within ninety days of so obtaining, either apply for a license to possess such assault weapon or dispose of such assault weapon in a manner not in violation of this act.

The same requirements of this section shall apply to an assault weapon included in the roster, with the ninety days to begin on the date the roster is published in a newspaper of general circulation in the city of Boston with such assault weapon included in the roster.

SECTION 7.
A police offficer shall be authorized to seize any assault weapon which may be evidence of a violation of this act. The assault weapon shall be held as evidence by the police and may be disposed of in accordance with section one hundred and twenty-nine D of chapter one hundred and forty of the General Laws.

The police commissioner of the city of Boston shall be authorized to promulgate regulations not inconsistent with this act to effectuate its purpose.

The police commissioner of the city of Boston is hereby authorized to revoke licenses granted under sections one hundred and twenty-two and one hundred and thirty-one of chapter one hundred and forty of the General Laws for violation of this act.

The police commissioner of the city of Boston is hereby authorized to issue an emergency order at any time to immediately and temporarily place a weapon on the roster and is further authorized to publish the roster in a newspaper of general circulation in the city of Boston without the approval of the board; provided, however, that he shall call a meeting of the board within thirty days of the issuance of the order so that the board may review the order and either permanently place the weapon on the roster or remove it therefrom.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020619015816/www.goal.org/MGL/boston.aw.html

I suggest reading carefully and studying the Boston bans as posted above to determine what the serfs who live under Menino's thumb are entitled (with permission only) to have/carry/use.

As I don't live in Boston and never intend to do so, I don't bother reading/understanding Boston's rules. They don't interest me nor do they affect me in any way (in spite of what some will tell you).

As I've posted many times before, the average LEO has not read and absorbed the ~400 pages in Chief Ron Glidden's book and thus is not an expert in MA gun law. Thus what some may think to be illegal may or not be so in fact.

Is the M1 Garand banned in Boston? by the rules I would think not, but I have heard that it is.

No. As it has a mere 8 rounds capacity and does not take detachable mags, it doesn't make the minimum standards to even be considered further (pistol grip, folding/collapsing stock, muzzle break, etc.).

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I'm hoping that my reading of this is correct in saying that a Ruger 10/22 is not a fearsome, heavily dangerous assault weapon.

....and since very few if any crimes were/are ever committed in Boston with anything that remotely resembles these discriptions "idiot boy" looks like a hero for this ban as none/few/ many/ are or have been committed with these style firearms and he can boast how this time of gun crime was reduced when in fact it rarely or never existed.

If you were going to ban anything it should obviously have been anything 9mm....the choice of thugs. Then for every gun crime they could tack on additional charges for violating this ban. Just a joke...not in favor of any firearm related bans....just saying that it would have made more sense as criminals would actually be charges with more counts.

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I'm hoping that my reading of this is correct in saying that a Ruger 10/22 is not a fearsome, heavily dangerous assault weapon.

Yes, you're correct.

Besides... there ARE no such things as dangerous weapons. Only dangerous PEOPLE. (well, and animals, too, but I've never seen a squirrel with a Ruger before.)

Back
Top Bottom