Boston licensing question

Some questions from a US resident who spends much of the year overseas:

- What is the licensing appointment situation with regards to applications?
- Does a renewal of a license not quite yet expired issued by a green town require a Moon Island test?
- Is Boston currently renewing unrestricteds from other towns/cities without retriction?
- What form of proof of residency does Boston require?

To the last question: My boss recently renewed a no restriction from Andover in Boston and received a new no restrictions.

I will follow this. I too will be renewing in Boston (in 2 years), an unrestricted from Westford.

unless something has changed moon island test is required for renewals too. I renewed a Boston issued Ltc in 2016 and had to go to moon island again. You get the moon island appointment the day of your appointment to submit new or renewal application. Proof of residency I believe included driver’s license with Boston address, a stamped/embossed letter from Boston voting department confirming you are registered to vote at your current Boston address which you have to physically go to city hall to get and pay for, maybe utility bill. I believe you need a few proofs. I recall both times having to go to city hall for the voting department embossed letter.

unless something has changed moon island test is required for renewals too. I renewed a Boston issued Ltc in 2016 and had to go to moon island again. You get the moon island appointment the day of your appointment to submit new or renewal application. Proof of residency I believe included driver’s license with Boston address, a stamped/embossed letter from Boston voting department confirming you are registered to vote at your current Boston address which you have to physically go to city hall to get and pay for, maybe utility bill. I believe you need a few proofs. I recall both times having to go to city hall for the voting department embossed letter.
What a giant PITA. Maybe by the time I have to renew I will be out of Boston and will be renting this place to someone.

I'm assuming the mortgage bill + Drivers License should be enough proof, right?

Also, shouldnt the state already know that I changed my LTC address when I moved, since I mailed it to them?

And last, why do they care so much? It's not like anyone will intentionally lie and try to renew in the city of Boston when they live in another town.

What a giant PITA. Maybe by the time I have to renew I will be out of Boston and will be renting this place to someone. I'm assuming the mortgage bill + Drivers License should be enough proof, right? Also, shouldnt the state already know that I changed my LTC address when I moved, since I mailed it to them? And last, why do they care so much? It's not like anyone will intentionally lie and try to renew in the city of Boston when they live in another town.
What a giant PITA. Maybe by the time I have to renew I will be out of Boston and will be renting this place to someone. I'm assuming the mortgage bill + Drivers License should be enough proof, right? Also, shouldnt the state already know that I changed my LTC address when I moved, since I mailed it to them? And last, why do they care so much? It's not like anyone will intentionally lie and try to renew in the city of Boston when they live in another town.
What a giant PITA. Maybe by the time I have to renew I will be out of Boston and will be renting this place to someone.

I'm assuming the mortgage bill + Drivers License should be enough proof, right?

Also, shouldnt the state already know that I changed my LTC address when I moved, since I mailed it to them?

And last, why do they care so much? It's not like anyone will intentionally lie and try to renew in the city of Boston when they live in another town.

I don’t know how well BPD actually tracts the move notices. I know I changed addresses within the city of Boston a few years back and sent the forms to BPD and MIRCS (FRB) and when I went to reapply in Boston MIRCS (FRB) had the correct address but BPD didn’t have the updated address for some reason in their system. Not sure what system that is or why MIRCS /FRB had it but not them. Not sure why the proof of residency is so thorough.

Also Boston has a Boston specific application form (used to be on green paper) that you get at the licensing desk at head quarters. I recall that form listing all the acceptable proofs of residency and identification.

I don’t have mine in front of me, but does a passport have one‘s current address on it?

No address on my passport, I guess that is the reason that they don't accept it 😚 . I also had to go to City Hall for a copy of my voter registration. It cost $4 or so , they wouldn't take cash, so I had to get a money order.

Back
Top Bottom