• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston LTC Heads Up

Just got off the phone with the BPD Licensing Dept. to make an appointment to get my LTC renewed. The first appointment available was not until August 27. Good thing my LTC expires in October. If you expire in Boston this year, I would certainly call soon to get your appointment.
617-343-4425. Remember in order for your current LTC to be valid after expiration, you have to have renewed already. Hopefully if you expire before August they can squeeze you in.

Exactly what I was thinking...

Donation incoming.

This is the reason I don’t live in Boston anymore.

epnsecure.png

Secure Payment Processing
Thank you for your purchase. Your transaction has been processed with the following authorization:

Last edited:
My appointment was 8 weeks. They did give me a letter and receipt.

How long does the state take to get you a new card these days?

In Haverhill for my renewal I got an appointment to meet the licensing officer 10 days after I called him. From apt to card in hand was 7 weeks.

• Firearms License Renewals: Firearms licenses are valid for 6 years. You must submit a request with your local police department for a renewal prior to the expiration date of your current license. If your application for renewal is made prior to the expiration date, your current license remains valid until the renewal is either approved or denied. Additional training is not required.
Gun ownership in Massachusetts

Probably about 7 months start to renewal of license in Boston and that doesn't include your trip to Moon Island. I lived in Boston until 2004 and had one of those "lifetime" FID cards. In a green town right now and on track to finally get out of the oppressive state within the next 12 months.

• Firearms License Renewals: Firearms licenses are valid for 6 years. You must submit a request with your local police department for a renewal prior to the expiration date of your current license. If your application for renewal is made prior to the expiration date, your current license remains valid until the renewal is either approved or denied. Additional training is not required.
Gun ownership in Massachusetts

So, does "application for renewal is made prior to.." does that mean, "when they take the paperwork and cash your check", or "when they take your picture and fingerprints and put your info into the computer?"

So, does "application for renewal is made prior to.." does that mean, "when they take the paperwork and cash your check", or "when they take your picture and fingerprints and put your info into the computer?"

When you get the receipt from MIRCS after they put your info into the computer.

When you get the receipt from MIRCS after they put your info into the computer.

So, if you submit all your paperwork, fully filled out, with a check, and they *cash* the check, and you get a receipt from the PD, and you have the canceled check that says, "2018 LTC renewal", but they still make you wait until after your LTC expires for the "appointment", that doesn't count?

So, if you submit all your paperwork, fully filled out, with a check, and they *cash* the check, and you get a receipt from the PD, and you have the canceled check that says, "2018 LTC renewal", but they still make you wait until after your LTC expires for the "appointment", that doesn't count?

Does the receipt you got from the PD come from MIRCS? That's your permission slip. Otherwise no, it does not.

Does the receipt you got from the PD come from MIRCS? That's your permission slip. Otherwise no, it does not.

So, "submit your application" really means, "if they choose to let you submit your application."

Got it.

In any other situation, a canceled check and a receipt would count, but not this one, because gunz.

We put up with all this silly b.s. jumping through hoops, bringing shrubbery, begging, writing essays trying to appease 351 different dukes of the sacred document that allow you to own temporarily a gun.

And 60 miles north of here in New Hampshire, this is what happens..........

want a handgun. What do I have to do?

Go to a federally licensed arms dealer and buy one.

Unlike operating a car or using a gun to hunt, there’s no requirement for any training before you can own a handgun in New Hampshire or in most states.

Age is a consideration. Under federal law you have to be at least 21 years old to buy a handgun or to buy ammunition for a handgun, although you can carry a handgun in New Hampshire at age 18. You can buy a rifle or shotgun at age 18.

You’ll have to fill out a Firearm Transactions Record form from the federal Department of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives that will be used to check the records at the state Department of Safety. You can buy a gun as long as you’re not a convicted felon, haven’t been convicted of certain drug crimes, and are not the subject of a domestic violence protective order.

Is any license required?
No.

What happened to all the war zone like carnage that MA assures us that happens when the peons are allowed to live free?

Crickets....nothing happened.

Hard to tell what is attributable to town processing time vs. state processing time but for me it was probably just about 2 months from appointment to card in hand. I called up to get an appointment just over 2 months (on a Friday) in advance (what the officer tole me to do) and he told me he had an opening Monday evening, then I heard from him again just before expiration (a handful of days) saying to come pick it up. (This was in Haverhill, but the time from appointment to card likely is relevant)

My license expired in March. I called BPD in January to make an appointment and was told they were booked out until May. When I told them that my LTC expired in March, they 'squeezed' me in on Feb 21st. As of now, I am still waiting for my new LTC. I don't believe just dropping off your application with money will count as actually applying, as the process doesn't begin until you have your interview, fingerprints and photo done and at that point they give you an 'official' receipt. They do not take personal checks. Only cash or money order.

Once you finish your interview, etc., with the licensing officer, they will give you the official 'receipt' to serve as proof of the date of submission for a new or renwal LTC. The 'receipt' is from the DCJIS. This receipt used to have an expiration date. Now it does not. There's a blurb at the bottom of it that says 'chapter blah blah, section blah blah , create an indefinite grace period' for those submitting an application prior to expiration of their current license until the new application is either approved of denied. You are told to carry this receipt along with your expired LTC.

My license expired in March. I called BPD in January to make an appointment and was told they were booked out until May. When I told them that my LTC expired in March, they 'squeezed' me in on Feb 21st. As of now, I am still waiting for my new LTC. I don't believe just dropping off your application with money will count as actually applying, as the process doesn't begin until you have your interview, fingerprints and photo done and at that point they give you an 'official' receipt. They do not take personal checks. Only cash or money order.

Once you finish your interview, etc., with the licensing officer, they will give you the official 'receipt' to serve as proof of the date of submission for a new or renwal LTC. The 'receipt' is from the DCJIS. This receipt used to have an expiration date. Now it does not. There's a blurb at the bottom of it that says 'chapter blah blah, section blah blah , create an indefinite grace period' for those submitting an application prior to expiration of their current license until the new application is either approved of denied. You are told to carry this receipt along with your expired LTC.

Wow, things have gone downhill in Boston. Not too long ago you could get an LTC in a month, start to finish.

This means either:
A. That a lot more people are applying for new licenses in Boston and overloading existing capacity, which is still BPD's job to provide adequate staffing,
or
B. Marty/Evans ordered the licensing staff to slow walk applications/renewals as part of political b.s. to "keep the number of guns in the city down".

Somehow I think B is more likely. Section 241 of Title 18 United States Code anyone?

That's bullshit. I live in The Peoples Republic of Cambridge and it ain't bad at all. No need to schedule, just show up during the posted hours.

According to a conversation with someone from EOPSS, approx 10-14 business days.

Truthfully, the state is way faster than that. They turned mine around in 3 days. It's always the local PD that's the hold up. APD had my application for a good 11 weeks before they sent it to the state.

OP- if you call the licensing office every week or so to see if openings, they can usually fit you in earlier than the scheduled date. it shouldn't be this way but at least some years ago was the case.

OP- if you call the licensing office every week or so to see if openings, they can usually fit you in earlier than the scheduled date. it shouldn't be this way but at least some years ago was the case.

The August appointment is fine for me since I don't expire until October. I just wanted to give everyone else a heads up that interviews are really backed up.

That should be criminal. 40 days not 40 + whatever the f*** I feel like making you wait.

The way I read OP's post, the appointment was to APPLY to renew, not the expected delivery date of the renewed LTC. The 40 day " clock" would not even START until the date of the appt.

This is one of the tactics the police depts are using to push out the 40 days to as long as they like.

Personally, I find this criminal.

The clock should start ticking the day you walk in the front door and hand over your application.

Back
Top Bottom