Boston Marathon Volunteer question

I recently got my tech license and am interested in learning more by helping with public events. I saw there is a call for licensed volunteers for the Boston marathon. Would I be jumping in over my head as a first event? FWIW, I have a Yaesu FT-65 HT.

Congrats on the ticket.

I recently got my tech license and am interested in learning more by helping with public events. I saw there is a call for licensed volunteers for the Boston marathon. Would I be jumping in over my head as a first event? FWIW, I have a Yaesu FT-65 HT.

Not at all. Attend the coordination session and get up to speed on the comms procedure.

You'll be out for most of the day. Have a good antenna and a backup power source/batteries. A magnetic mount antenna if doing the medical van.

Last edited:
I'm sure the Boston Marathon crew will have plenty of info. I've seen some after action reports from people who've done public service events and they have good info. Spare batteries/radio, hand mic/headset, what to wear, what not to wear, stuff like that. One thing that is obvious once I heard it is that you don't want to look too official or people will assume you're in charge and keep bothering you.

I've not done one myself but I really should. I've certainly done plenty of events that benefitted from those nerds with radios.

Welcome to NES and Congrats on the Ham license!

Back
Top Bottom