• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston PD not using "ghost gun" to describe P80 builds?

Saw this on twitter. Clicked link to roll my eyes at "ghost gun" and oddly, it was instead described as a Glock. Clearly it's a P80 frame which would have been described as a "ghost gun" by a lot of other PDs as well as the media.

Figured I would dig back through their twitter and bpdnews sites. Unable to find "ghost" on twitter (except a reference to ghost busters). On bpdnews they actually identify P80 frames several times as a Glock or P80.

I thought it odd that Boston PD doesn't use the term "ghost gun" what with all of the P80 frames they're picking up.

1677688768947.png

1677689018735.png

OP obviously did a lot of research, he could find no reference to "Ghost Guns" by Boston PD from previous busts.

I doubt that every P80 they came across was registered.

They did have a few. Nov 2020, Aug 2021, and Jan 2023. The Jan 2023 was definitely a P80 build. I think the Nov 2020 as well.

I just found it odd that they don't use the term as often as they could. I'm hoping it was as BTSDOG noted and folks are (rightfully) having charges dropped because of the usage of the term "ghost gun."

Totally agree (in most cases).........

But if you plan to carry it on you or transport it (like to the range) You might want to think about some serial numbers and a visit to the Gun Transaction Portal.
You can put a gun with no serial in the portal.
Although I'm thinking about serializing an 80% as "NOSERIAL" just to be an ass
Next one would be "FUMA1791"

I know but why with a P80?

If you want to minimize the chance of a shakedown by an uninformed LEO, a gun with no serial numbers is not going to help.
If you're at the point of them inspecting your gun(s) then you have bigger issues.

You might get lucky and the only thing they charge is defaced serial, then you get to show that it's homemade and there never was a serial to deface so it's perfectly legit.

Totally agree (in most cases).........

But if you plan to carry it on you or transport it (like to the range) You might want to think about some serial numbers and a visit to the Gun Transaction Portal.

oh yeah sure, and I'm also never going to never break the speed limit, j walk, or tare the tag off a mattress either.

If you're at the point of them inspecting your gun(s) then you have bigger issues.

You might get lucky and the only thing they charge is defaced serial, then you get to show that it's homemade and there never was a serial to deface so it's perfectly legit.
I agree, if it gets to that point you are probably about to get jammed up on multiple charges.

But if you ever had to use it in a justified self defense, the no serial number or defaced serial number in not a good look.

To me if you are going to put it through the portal it's best to have a serial number IMO.

I agree, if it gets to that point you are probably about to get jammed up on multiple charges.

But if you ever had to use it in a justified self defense, the no serial number or defaced serial number in not a good look.

To me if you are going to put it through the portal it's best to have a serial number IMO.
A defaced serial charge will get dismissed unless you screw up while engraving and the numbers aren't perfect (hand engraving)

There is no issue with an unserialized gun since there are literally millions of them out there in current use. However you can get busted for not reporting the "transfer" within 7 days of completing the home made gun.

So glad we have all the Irish immigration coming into our country and following our gun laws.
on the other hand, why is it not ok to have a gun, provided you are not a violent fellon.

A defaced serial charge will get dismissed unless you screw up while engraving and the numbers aren't perfect (hand engraving)

There is no issue with an unserialized gun since there are literally millions of them out there in current use. However you can get busted for not reporting the "transfer" within 7 days of completing the home made gun.
There is one thing I have learned on NES. When it comes to legal matters different people have different risk tolerance.

I am not disputing what you are stating. You are correct

But for me when it comes to guns in MA I am playing it safe. So I am not carrying or transporting any guns without serial numbers (even though after you are run through the MA legal washing machine you come out uncharged, just a lot poorer).

But then again I am not the kind of guy who likes arguing with cops.

It's possible that whoever wrote the tweet is someone who only knows Glocks and service revolvers.

Tweet does not mention anything in detail which is why I clicked over to bpdnews. bpdnews is the "official" website of the Boston Police so I suspect they don't have some rando intern pushing out 40 character updates for them.

1677709718196.png

Tweet does not mention anything in detail which is why I clicked over to bpdnews. bpdnews is the "official" website of the Boston Police so I suspect they don't have some rando intern pushing out 40 character updates for them.

View attachment 726925
Yup, that's a P80, and those are Glock Mags.

I like the way they display 11 rounds next to a 10 round mag. I guess that makes the 10 rounder illegal. I assume the round next to the gun was the round that was chambered.

Gotta love those police pic's, But where is the BPD badge and the fanned out pile of cash (mostly $5 and $10's)???

I'm surprised he wasn't charged with "possession of large capacity feeding device" with the 25 rounder.

View attachment 726925
Not saying your thought process is wrong but you would be shocked at the level of stupid that's prevalent in some departments.

This guy picks ammo like a 7-year-old picks penny candy. "I'll take one of these, and one of those, and two of these, and another of those .... And a whole box of that one."

I'm surprised he wasn't charged with "possession of large capacity feeding device" with the 25 rounder.

I check the BPD blog from time to time, and they do this seemingly at random. I have seen several instances of "possession of a large capacity firearm without a license" or something, the gun had a dimpled 10 round mag and was not on the large capacity list. I have seen obvious 11+ round, post-ban mags (orange follower gen 5 glock mag with visible 15 or 17 witness holes on the back and 12+ rounds in the pic) not charged with LCFD (maybe internal mag block and just extra loose ammo? Who knows).

I check the BPD blog from time to time, and they do this seemingly at random. I have seen several instances of "possession of a large capacity firearm without a license" or something, the gun had a dimpled 10 round mag and was not on the large capacity list. I have seen obvious 11+ round, post-ban mags (orange follower gen 5 glock mag with visible 15 or 17 witness holes on the back and 12+ rounds in the pic) not charged with LCFD (maybe internal mag block and just extra loose ammo? Who knows).
I doubt the gang bangers that end up on that page care about making sure their mags are crippled to ten rounds. I think it really depends on the arresting officer. Most don’t know Jack shit about fire arms compared to most here.

Carvajal-Morales was placed under arrest and charged with; Unlawful Possession of a Firearm, Unlawful Possession of Ammunition and Unlawful Possession of a Firearm with an FID Card. He is expected to be arraigned in West Roxbury District Court.

Interesting charge :D

Back
Top Bottom