• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston Proper. Closest green town on a train path into the city?

Commuter Rail or Subway?
If rail: North Station or South Station area?
If subway: Downtown Crossing, Park Street, Government Center, North Station, South Station or somewhere in the seaport?

Be careful on choosing to live in an apartment complex. Regardless of where they are located and how much they cost per month, they could be filled with Section 8 and homeless people.
A developer or complex owner only cares about filling the units, they don't make them money being empty. When the complex is first built, it is advertised as luxury housing until the units stop being purchased. Then the rest could be and usually are rented to the less fortunate for the guaranteed monthly check from the state. This screws over the tenants who paid big money for their unit for life or until they move out themselves. The tenant who purchased their unit gets to deal with weekly domestic violence, mental illness, alcohol, and drug related situations too!

On another forum a guy asked what is a gun friendly town in MA that is on any train path into the city. The guys wife got a job in the financial district of Boston and they are starting to look for apartments that are walking distance to a train station. From what I know I would think Natick or Franklin. Anyone think of a green town that’s closer? Want to give him some good advice.

Oh and he knows Ma sucks for guns and that the apartment will be highway robbery.
Also, look at Salem. There is a HUGE apartment complex right on the commuter rail Dozens of restaurants within walking distance

Also, look at Salem. There is a HUGE apartment complex right on the commuter rail Dozens of restaurants within walking distance

I thought Salem, MA was not a very gun friendly town. Maybe they've changed, I don't know.

What do they like doing?
Do they want to go out often?
How long do they want to spend commuting?
How much do they want to pay to commute? ($3500 rent + commute will come close to $4K depending on where they live).
How late will the person be working?
Closer to North Station or South Station?

Boston is giving unrestricted LTC now. So anywhere is fine. They might want to focus on other things.

The MBTA schedule can s*ck, depends which line, rushing to leave the office to catch a train or have to wait another hour kinda blows.

There's no more traditional red vs green. Even so, Arlington and Somerville were both "green" before Bruen.

What exactly (other than "gun friendly" and "on the train") are they looking for in their future hometown? Are they hoping for easy access to restaurants and nightlife? Do they want to live near the woods?
I agree with this post. I live in Braintree and first applied and got my LTC three years ago. Yeah, I had to take the pistol course, and get three letters of recommendation, but, that aside, approval was just a formality.

Does he just want her to get serially sexually assaulted by train people?
That's the T. The commuter rail is perfectly fine.

Framingham is a crap hole, but never gave me trouble on renewals in the 30 years I lived there.

However, we had three home invasions*, one neighbor was burglarized six or so times (they had a wicked nice house and we had a wicked vicious pit bull). Another neighbor was raided for drugs and prostitution at least a couple times.

Hmmm... Maybe look at Westboro or Sudbury instead 😂

* Four if you count our son's baby sitter's door blown off it's hinges by drug dealers looking for the sitter's husband.
Framingham is a crap hole only if you live south of Rt9 - stay north and it's great but then you can't walk to the train station.

Be careful on choosing to live in an apartment complex. Regardless of where they are located and how much they cost per month, they could be filled with Section 8 and homeless people.
A developer or complex owner only cares about filling the units, they don't make them money being empty. When the complex is first built, it is advertised as luxury housing until the units stop being purchased. Then the rest could be and usually are rented to the less fortunate for the guaranteed monthly check from the state. This screws over the tenants who paid big money for their unit for life or until they move out themselves. The tenant who purchased their unit gets to deal with weekly domestic violence, mental illness, alcohol, and drug related situations too!
I’d like in a trailer before an apartment building.

On another forum a guy asked what is a gun friendly town in MA that is on any train path into the city. The guys wife got a job in the financial district of Boston and they are starting to look for apartments that are walking distance to a train station. From what I know I would think Natick or Franklin. Anyone think of a green town that’s closer? Want to give him some good advice.

Oh and he knows Ma sucks for guns and that the apartment will be highway robbery.
I lived in Winchester for almost 20 years, so I know that they're green, I never had a problem there with renewals. So, if you have lots of money that's where I would go.

That's the T. The commuter rail is perfectly fine.

Framingham is a crap hole only if you live south of Rt9 - stay north and it's great but then you can't walk to the train station.

Well, I'll agree that Ham'North is quieter, visible crime-wise, than Ham'South, but I would not call it great. They share the same infrastructure.

I will stipulate there is (or at least was) a fantastic variety of restaurants and it's near everything. I just don't like the place in general.

I think Sudbury should invade and annex Ham'North!

Only thing he asked was gun friendly and walking distance to train station. He didn’t seem to care about anything else.

Budget is up to $3500 a month for at least a two bedroom.

So Chick-a-Pee???? [rofl]

OK, I don't know rent THAT much, but I have to figure inside 128 that's gonna be tough and even good towns inside of 495 that might be tough. Maybe. Especially WALKING distance to the train.

Hold up. Maybe Mansfield??? They have a PILE of apartments right next to the train. I assume it's green. $2500. It's turned into a nice area.

So Chick-a-Pee???? [rofl]

OK, I don't know rent THAT much, but I have to figure inside 128 that's gonna be tough and even good towns inside of 495 that might be tough. Maybe. Especially WALKING distance to the train.

Hold up. Maybe Mansfield??? They have a PILE of apartments right next to the train. I assume it's green. $2500. It's turned into a nice area.
ummm...

3BR, Davis Square, $3450
3BR, Porter/Harvard, $3300
2BR, Savin Hill/JFK, $3400

Last time around my renewal in Mansfield was easy. Efficient and very few questions asked. Licensing officer had me sign the paperwork, took my picture and threw me out faster than I walked in. Had it in my hand two weeks later. Mansfield also has a club near the commuter rail. But I would heed @LTCRN info on apartments in the area.

I know there are apartment complexes in Ashland (Cirrus), Franklin (Station 117), and Norwood (Avalon) that are walking distance to communter rail stations and under $3,500 for a 2-bedroom.

I know Franklin was green when I last lived there, not sure on Ashland or Norwood.
Try The Commons at Winsor Gardens In Norwood - has a train station (on the Franklin local into South Station) right there

Pricing and apartment layouts are at the link below:

Melrose. I never had any issues getting my LTC. My commute consists of walking from my house to the train stop and then walking from north station to work. I don't use a car at all to commute.

I rememeber a lot of this in the 80s and into the 90s, but I have not seen it recently in Somerville. Enough better options for tenants. Not saying it doesn't happen, but places that used to be heavily Section 8 you would now be hard pressed to find even one. I assume they all moved to other towns.

Back
Top Bottom