Boston Proposes State Law Requiring Doctors to Ask About Guns In the Home

so a licensed person is asked. the doctor reports it to the .gov. the .gov does a records check to see the patient has an LTC further investigation reveals several firearms registered in the patient's name. warrant is issued. guns are found in the home. patient loses LTC and has now perjured him/herself so they are a prohibited person in Mass. and perhaps elsewhere depending on how severe they make this new crime.

Last edited:
They already know since all purchases are documented. This is just a form of intimidation and shaming. f*** them. Be proud of your guns and bring pics of them to show your doc. Make sure to include all archery equipment, and all knives, including the butter knives in your kitchen.

Excellent point. Maybe a response of just F off or Hey doc bend over I want to give you a prostate exam would be more appropriate. I would never answer and have told my kids their response to any questions like that from anyone is “Talk to my dad, here’s his number”

I think now it the time to get my tattoo to show my obvious support of 2A and guns. That way when the doctor sees the tattoo and asks about guns I can say no just to revel in the ridiculously confused look on the idiots face. lol

They already know since all purchases are documented. This is just a form of intimidation and shaming. f*** them. Be proud of your guns and bring pics of them to show your doc. Make sure to include all archery equipment, and all knives, including the butter knives in your kitchen.
Also this allows them to get around HIPA. Right now they can’t legally connect them this allows them to weasel around that

I like the idea of asking them an unrelated personal question in return. Maybe see if they’ll answer some basic questions about their business’ tax filings, or ask for an insurance certificate. Either is about as relevant to the relationship as the gun ownership question is.

Remember folks, they will be asking your children this question, too.

How many kids will rat out their parents simply because they don't know any better or are just too young to understand the consequences?

And then how long will it be before they pass a law making it a felony to answer the question falsely?

f*** this shit, seriously.
Never leave a child alone with anyone. Jack.

“This is a great way for the medical field to help identify any red-flag issues,” Boston Police Commissioner William Gross said in a briefing with reporters.

I see it didn't take them long to slap him into the party line.

Right now there is a law that if a doctor prescribes a controlled substance, they have to check the state database of controlled substance prescriptions which lists every controlled substance you've been prescribed.
This is easy to check - did the doctor precribe something and if they did, is there a record of them accessing the database the day prescription was written. So, if the state thinks some doctors are not doing their due diligence, all they need is to run a database check.

And it is inaccurate. People with same names, similar names or even family are listed by mistake. CVS found me in a different city and address, to list that I had been prescribed meds that were actually for my brother. I was no where in the area and we have never helped each other for CVS meds in the past. Didn't know anything about it until I got in to an argument with my long term Dr over this database. I was bullshit and CVS still has not fixed my records; they "can't as of now". Bull shit!

Doc, I have lawyers,guns, and money.

Malpractice lawyers.

For the youngsters:
MN0051350.gif

Only go to the doctor as needed, and Boston can kiss my ass. More bull shit from the bull shit brigade on Beacon hill.. Do as I say not as I do..Shit gets real old!.

I was asked a few years ago by one of my Kid’s docs. If I’d have been better prepared I’d have simply answered no. Instead, I told them I objected to the question and asked them what the follow up would be if I said yes. They mentioned safe storage. I asked the doc if they had any experience with firearms safety, the answer was no so I told them it was a pointless question and didn’t answer, they left it alone and it was never brought up again. After that it got me thinking and from now on I’ll answer no and leave it at that. My ex was in the room w/ me and was startled by the question as well, she’s on board going forward if we ever get the question again not to say anything. My kids don’t have the cognitive/communicative ability to answer the question and they have no concept what guns are so I have no worries there. My ex used to like to tell men she dated or people that care for our kids that I have guns, sort of as a warning. Finally made her understand how that’s a bad idea and she doesn’t do it anymore.

I agree that this is most likely intimidation and shaming and indocrination. The goal is to associate guns with bad things they ask you about - alcohol, drugs, smoking, domestic violence, now guns will be mentioned in the same manner.

Now big difference between now and then is that right now it is some activist anti-gun docs bothering you. Once it is the law, they will have to ask you the question whether they like it or not. What's the point of confronting them, it is like confronting the bank teller to complain about the bank's interest rates or high fees or whatever. Chances are it will even not be the doctor asking you this, but some medical assistant who is taking you blood pressure before you see the doctor.

Hopefully there will be a doc willing to file a lawsuit about this, but yeah you will have to be prepared to screw up your career for this.

Very interesting actually.

Right now there is a law that if a doctor prescribes a controlled substance, they have to check the state database of controlled substance prescriptions which lists every controlled substance you've been prescribed.
This is easy to check - did the doctor precribe something and if they did, is there a record of them accessing the database the day prescription was written. So, if the state thinks some doctors are not doing their due diligence, all they need is to run a database check.

Now how are they going to enforce the gun law?

Obviously this will be yet another checkbox in the electronic medical record system, very likely it will be asked even before you see the doctor by the medical assistant or the nurse, the usual million questions they type and click before each visit now (do you drink, do you smoke crack, are you being abused, etc).

Most doctors are employed by large organizations like Partners, UMass, etc, etc.
So, state passes the law.
Partners CEO says, ok, eh, new law, we got to put in one more checkbox for you guys to click on.
End of the year they run reports on all doctors.
After that, who knows.
The organization will probably deal with it the way they deal with other "quality metrics" - punish doctors who fail them. You failed the gun violence metric - get fined $5000.

Of course if they are really hardcore they could do whatever they want - they could pull a few medical licenses just to scare everyone else.

That question is already in most (if not all) electronic medical records systems. Whether a specific organization chooses to have it active or not is another story.

I'm more curious to understand why the state wants to require doctors to ask a question that the state already knows the answer to. If they can get a court order to get access to the medical records, are they then going to try to match this up with a list of people who have their FID/LTC and arrest those who answered Yes but don't have a license? Do they expect someone who illegally has guns is going to answer yes? What is the point of wasting a doctor's time asking worthless questions, when the doctor could be using that time to actually evaluate the patient's physical or mental health?

Pediatricians and docs who treat adults have been asking about guns for many years now. The AMA and MMA have both put it in their forms/questionnaires that docs tend to use. How we answer is up to us!

That question is already in most (if not all) electronic medical records systems. Whether a specific organization chooses to have it active or not is another story.

I'm more curious to understand why the state wants to require doctors to ask a question that the state already knows the answer to. If they can get a court order to get access to the medical records, are they then going to try to match this up with a list of people who have their FID/LTC and arrest those who answered Yes but don't have a license? Do they expect someone who illegally has guns is going to answer yes? What is the point of wasting a doctor's time asking worthless questions, when the doctor could be using that time to actually evaluate the patient's physical or mental health?

As peterk123 and I agree, shaming and intimidation and forced virtue signaling.

Back
Top Bottom