• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston, Springfield begin to lift gun license restrictions after Supreme Court decision

According to 2017 data compiled several years ago by Commonwealth Second Amendment, Inc., a legal advocacy group that works to protect gun rights, the rate of restrictions swung wildly among communities…
The Globe is definitely digging around quite a bit. I wonder where they found the Comm2A scorecard posted publicly? The only place I have seen it is on NES.

interesting stats

“…the rate of restrictions swung wildly among communities, with Springfield (73 percent), Boston (80 percent), and Watertown (90 percent) restricting the vast majority of new licenses — plus portions of renewed ones — while many towns and cities restricted none.

As of January, state data show that 19,592 licenses to carry statewide were restricted” out of 477,900 or so state wide.

And in Brookline, Sergeant Chris Malinn said he’s received 10 requests to have restrictions removed but said more are likely. He estimated that of the 700 to 800 active licenses in the town, “half or more” have restrictions.
That said, existing limits on licenses to carry have become unenforceable, he said, citing the state guidance.
“In other words, if somebody got a license that has target and hunting restrictions, but they’re somewhere other than that [carrying a concealed gun] — if they’re out to dinner — that’s no longer a violation of the terms of their license,” Malinn said. “It’s de facto unrestricted, even if it doesn’t say it.”

Well. There we go.

Under the state’s advisory, local police chiefs were told they should no longer deny, or impose restrictions on, a license to carry because an applicant lacks a “good reason to carry a firearm.” But the advisory explicitly said they should continue enforcing other tenets of the state’s law, specifically its so-called suitability provision.

That gives chiefs wide discretion to consider other factors in deciding whether to issue a license beyond someone’s criminal record, such as if police have been called to their home or if they had been the subject of domestic violence incidents that didn’t result in arrests or charges. It is, proponents say, a crucial part of Massachusetts’ firearm laws, which local officials have touted as a model for other states.

But legal observers have told the Globe it may be only a matter of time until that provision is challenged in court in the wake of the Bruen ruling.

Wow. So BPD can't enforce restrictions even before you get your new license? Never thought I'd see the day.
The worst that could happen is that some cucked rookie cop might think they have you by the balls for carrying on a restricted license, haul you into the station only to realize you now have ripe grounds for a civil suit for wrongful arrest.

And in Brookline, Sergeant Chris Malinn said he’s received 10 requests to have restrictions removed but said more are likely. He estimated that of the 700 to 800 active licenses in the town, “half or more” have restrictions.

That said, existing limits on licenses to carry have become unenforceable, he said, citing the state guidance.

“In other words, if somebody got a license that has target and hunting restrictions, but they’re somewhere other than that [carrying a concealed gun] — if they’re out to dinner — that’s no longer a violation of the terms of their license,” Malinn said. “It’s de facto unrestricted, even if it doesn’t say it.”

The worst that could happen is that some cucked rookie cop might think they have you by the balls for carrying on a restricted license, haul you into the station only to realize you now have ripe grounds for a civil suit for wrongful arrest.
It is MA. If a cop knows you have a gun and is asking for a license, chances are you are getting arrested.

So far I haven't met anyone that was asked for his/her gun license for no reason.

Recommend taking next train from fantasy land to earth

For Boston and Brookline new applicants or those renewing, is a shooting test still required? It would seem like the answer is "no" but wonder if anybody has current direct knowledge from the licensing units there?

For Boston and Brookline new applicants or those renewing, is a shooting test still required? It would seem like the answer is "no" but wonder if anybody has current direct knowledge from the licensing units there?
Boston stopped during COVID. Brookline still takes it, last I heard.

Boston stopped during COVID. Brookline still takes it, last I heard.
Thank you... I should have been clearer... I am asking about whether the shooting test is a requirement since the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision. Anybody know with direct knowledge?

Thank you... I should have been clearer... I am asking about whether the shooting test is a requirement since the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision. Anybody know with direct knowledge?
I, too, could have been clearer. Like references, we have no evidence that they've stopped. Best bet is to call and ask.

Why would any sane person want to stay here if they can get away to a country that actually cares about its people, that doesn't have mass shootings or guns everywhere, that sees health care as a right, not a privilege to scam those who aren't in the 1%, that doesn't have extremist white supremacist groups staging coups, that isn't trying to dumb down education and make it unaffordable but provides it to everyone for free. Imagine that. Educated people are already making exit strategies from this craphole country. There will be a huge brain drain to more enlightened countries that don't have anything resembling FOX Noise to brainwash the masses

I can't even. ????

I think every non prohibited person over 21 living in the under served areas of Boston, Springfield, Worcester and any other city you can think of should be applying for a license to carry

Why would any sane person want to stay here if they can get away to a country that actually cares about its people, that doesn't have mass shootings or guns everywhere, that sees health care as a right, not a privilege to scam those who aren't in the 1%, that doesn't have extremist white supremacist groups staging coups, that isn't trying to dumb down education and make it unaffordable but provides it to everyone for free. Imagine that. Educated people are already making exit strategies from this craphole country. There will be a huge brain drain to more enlightened countries that don't have anything resembling FOX Noise to brainwash the masses

I can't even. ????

Typical Globe subscriber, I wish they would move to said Utopian country and let us know how Nirvana is. Hmm, I wonder what country snowflake has in mind, Canada is a hop, skip and jump North. I'm sure Little Fidel would welcome all the overeducated American snowflakes to his safe country where they can block your bank account for protesting Littel Fidel's decrees.

I know. But to not understand basic math. "I want a place where everyone is safe and happy and has everything they need and food and shelter and they can be whatever little unicorn they want to be and have all teh success that provides and no one will be there that will hate us. They'll all be dead!" Imagine you could do that. Forget the murder thing and all that. The COST is just astronomical. How do you walk around being that unaware???

Guess it doesn't matter since my freshly printed unrestricted Boston LTC came in the mail today...

Guess it doesn't matter since my freshly printed unrestricted Boston LTC came in the mail today...
That's really good to hear.

The real question now is will they go douche like NY, and start making everywhere public place/public transportation, and every business that does not post signage that's OK to carry a prohibited space.

Likely only to happen in big cities where I do not go anyway, but still.

That's really good to hear.

The real question now is will they go douche like NY, and start making everywhere public place/public transportation, and every business that does not post signage that's OK to carry a prohibited space.

Likely only to happen in big cities where I do not go anyway, but still.
That's what I'm thinking, they're going to add an insane amount of places to the no-carry list. Can't carry on main streets anymore and also side streets or anywhere people are breathing.

I'm glad I got it done and over it before they challenge it or something.

Back
Top Bottom