• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bostons LTC Restrictions.

SCOTUS ruled that it is completely legal to record public officials doing their public duties without telling them. So, always put them on speaker and record every call with PD.
Close. First federal district (include MA), judge Patti Saris.

It is unclear if the other end of a phone line, terminating in a non-public area of a police station, meets the definition of public space:

Ruling on a pair of challenges to Massachusetts’ wiretap statute, US District Court Judge Patti Saris held that state law “may not constitutionally prohibit the secret audio recording of government officials, including law enforcement officials, performing their duties in public spaces, subject to reasonable time, manner, and place restrictions.”
In Mass., judge says secretly recording officials, including police, is constitutionally protected - The Boston Globe

That's great to know! Looks like I need to scratch off the stickers on my car that warn of audio recording.

I have always referred to that law as the Corrupt Public Official Protection Act. It had nothing to do with protecting privacy.
It also protects oil change places that don't, crooked locksmiths, lying salesmen and others from consumer reporter news stings and assures that Chris Hansen can never file To Catch A Predator in the DPRM.

Back
Top Bottom